Firmware won't update past 0129 (2013)?

Talk with fellow members about Ceton's Media Center Extender.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
dabretty

HTPC Specs: Show details

Firmware won't update past 0129 (2013)?

Post by dabretty » Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:32 am

Hi guys -

I've posted on here in a few threads about building out my father-in-law's setup, potentially to have ~10 Echos before it's finished. Late last week I setup four Echos and a 360 in his setup, with more to continue. Everything seems to be fine so far, except that the last two Echos I installed on Friday (2/14) did not appear to want to update to anything past the January 29, 2013 firmware ("0129"). However, the devices knew that there was a newer firmware available ... on boot, they displayed the "press 1" dialog, and proceeded to attempt a load. But halfway in the progress bar or so, they'd kind of stutter and the progress bar move backwards briefly, to immediately advance to the end and load WMC. Every subsequent turn on from start (or Echo Plugin settings load), they display this and repeat the behavior (never advancing in firmware version). For a setup where the primary users (my in-laws) are non-technical, this is not exactly desirable. They just want to turn on the TV (and Echo) and be done.

Has anyone else seen stubbornness in firmware flashing like this? Part of me thought "maybe Ceton's servers are offline?", but then again, how would the box know there was a newer firmware available? I didn't try past Friday afternoon, so if it was bad luck (Ceton servers offline and since remedied), then perhaps it'll update the next time that I stop over there and try. My hunch though is that these two Echos have corrupt memory, and a checksum is failing in the firmware download-and-load process.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:01 am

Why are you working on site? Take them back to your place and deliver when they are ready.

JohnW248

Post by JohnW248 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:54 pm

dabretty wrote:Hi guys -

I've posted on here in a few threads about building out my father-in-law's setup, potentially to have ~10 Echos before it's finished. Late last week I setup four Echos and a 360 in his setup, with more to continue.
Do you have more than one computer running? If not, do you have the AEP running in Windows? There is a limit as to the number of extenders. I think it's 6 paired to a host, I don't recall anyone working around that. To use more you would have to unpair a unit and pair a new unit. Not really turn it on and watch tv. If you put in a second computer than you have to deal with libraries and if you have copy protection you can only play CCI0x02 on the host that made the recording so you might have to schedule duplicate records for copy once channels.

STC

Post by STC » Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:57 pm

^ Well spotted John, that's probably it.
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

mcewinter

Post by mcewinter » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:03 pm

One or ten, I would expect it (them) to update to current firmware. Will the echo only update if it's paired?

STC

Post by STC » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:16 pm

I think I recall seeing mine handshake with the HTPC before calling home to Ceton.

SupacatSF

Post by SupacatSF » Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:16 am

dabretty wrote:Hi guys -

I've posted on here in a few threads about building out my father-in-law's setup, potentially to have ~10 Echos before it's finished. Late last week I setup four Echos and a 360 in his setup, with more to continue. Everything seems to be fine so far, except that the last two Echos I installed on Friday (2/14) did not appear to want to update to anything past the January 29, 2013 firmware ("0129"). However, the devices knew that there was a newer firmware available ... on boot, they displayed the "press 1" dialog, and proceeded to attempt a load. But halfway in the progress bar or so, they'd kind of stutter and the progress bar move backwards briefly, to immediately advance to the end and load WMC. Every subsequent turn on from start (or Echo Plugin settings load), they display this and repeat the behavior (never advancing in firmware version). For a setup where the primary users (my in-laws) are non-technical, this is not exactly desirable. They just want to turn on the TV (and Echo) and be done.

Has anyone else seen stubbornness in firmware flashing like this? Part of me thought "maybe Ceton's servers are offline?", but then again, how would the box know there was a newer firmware available? I didn't try past Friday afternoon, so if it was bad luck (Ceton servers offline and since remedied), then perhaps it'll update the next time that I stop over there and try. My hunch though is that these two Echos have corrupt memory, and a checksum is failing in the firmware download-and-load process.

So had the same issue where my Echo would not go past 0129. Contacted Ceton and went through the full recovery. Now I am worse off as the firmware is at 2012.1219.1030 and the device still wont update :x

the recovery went fine and the device did a complete recovery this time however, now as I mentioned I am worse off as I am at 2012’s firmware and for some reason the same thing is happening where the device refuses to upgrade. I tried it both through the web console and the Echo settings app and it will not go past – 2012.1219.1030  The device says the usual “Press 1 to update” and then reboots and looks like it is upgrading with the usual progress bar that gets around ½ way and then goes very quick and I am at the same software version when it reboots and a Press 1 pops up again doing the same thing if pressed. If I try it through the web console, it downloads, unpacks and then says update failed

Jimmersd

Post by Jimmersd » Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:44 am

Just a thought. Have you tried to hook the Echo directly up to your cable modem for the update? Could be a network issue.

SupacatSF

Post by SupacatSF » Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:13 am

Jimmersd wrote:Just a thought. Have you tried to hook the Echo directly up to your cable modem for the update? Could be a network issue.
Hey, thanks for the response! I though that might be it so I tried it first directly into the router and same issue, update never applies. After your suggestion, I figured I should do my due diligence and I plugged it into my cable modem and rebooted it and the echo. The echo got an IP and noticed the update but same thing, press 1, it looks like it updates but then reboots with same firmware. :crazy:

Thanks though for the suggestion as I thought it could be it too!
Last edited by SupacatSF on Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

STC

Post by STC » Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:15 am

Time for a Ceton ticket me thinks.

SupacatSF

Post by SupacatSF » Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:21 am

Already open and awaiting a response... I wish they just gave us access to the firmware files and let us update these ourselves like routers or other network appliances. The recovery went fine from Ceton but it pushes that old firmware. If I could push the new firmware the same way that would save a lot of ... Does anyone happen to know their RMA turnaround time?

dabretty

Post by dabretty » Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:59 pm

Thanks for the replies. Pairing limitation isn't it, as I still had all units on and watching TV. I'm afraid it's a quality control issue with a bad hardware combination for Ceton, as I see that I'm not alone. Would anybody from Ceton care to comment?

I guess this is part of my experiment in getting so many Echos (another two are to be ordered), and kind of verifies what we had been discussing in other threads - we're probably dealing with different hardware variations, and hence the wide variance in performance.

ajhieb

Post by ajhieb » Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:56 pm

IIRC the reason android didn't come to fruition was a problem with firmware updates in the field. Me wonders if the problem is isolated to just the android updates.

kingwr

Post by kingwr » Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:15 pm

dabretty wrote:Would anybody from Ceton care to comment?
Don't be so impatient -- they are still working on the next blog post since August of 2013. I am sure once they finish that, they will get around to responding to your issue.

dabretty

Post by dabretty » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:41 pm

I opened a support ticket with Ceton and they say it's a server issue on their end, and that they're working on it. I'm not sure how long it's been down, but at least since last Friday for me. This is a scary preview of the day Ceton takes their server permanently offline ...

SupacatSF

Post by SupacatSF » Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:12 am

dabretty wrote:I opened a support ticket with Ceton and they say it's a server issue on their end, and that they're working on it. I'm not sure how long it's been down, but at least since last Friday for me. This is a scary preview of the day Ceton takes their server permanently offline ...
It looks like its fixed or it finally is for me!

My ticket is closed!:-)
Hi Paul,

We identified a network problem between our server and Internet provider which was just cleared up. The networking issue would cause the issue you described here " I am at 2012’s firmware and for some reason the same thing is happening where the device refuses to upgrade." The mention of a router, networking, and PC was to get more networking input which would help us track the root cause. Since we have found the cause let's get back to basics and verify the issue is resolved.

Please try updating your Echo firmware now.
1.) First reboot your Echo and remember the Echo’s IP address.
2.) Navigate the Echo's device webpage from your PC. http://<IP Address>
3.) Go to the Updates page and you should see 2013.304.1657 available for updating.

Let us know,
Ceton Support

Ticket Details
Priority: Normal

dabretty

Post by dabretty » Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:07 am

I just went over and checked on my in-laws' Echos ... both also updated to the 0309 (2013) build. Definitely a weird error on the Ceton server side (signaling that it had a newer firmware available, but unable to deliver it). As mentioned that's a pretty scary preview, too bad we can't sit on a local copy of the firmware.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:25 am

Um... ok... I guess I'll just keep it to myself. Most of you already know how I feel. Just unbelievable to me that people are still buying Ceton products.

dabretty

Post by dabretty » Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:00 am

barnabas1969 wrote:Um... ok... I guess I'll just keep it to myself. Most of you already know how I feel. Just unbelievable to me that people are still buying Ceton products.
?

This thread was created to discuss a problem that a few of us were seeing. We discussed it and possible causes, and it's since been resolved (by Ceton fixing their server issue). I'm not so sure why you showed up in this thread for your broad-brush pity-party. Create another thread titled "Barnabas: It's Unbelievable to This Guy That People Are Still Buying Ceton Products," if you're so inclined.