Video crashes after a few seconds

newfiend

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by newfiend » Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:00 pm

Have you tried updating the AVR to the latest Firmware? http://www.pioneer.eu/eur/support/softw ... /page.html

I know it adds Spotify but may offer other improvements not listed. Using the latest video drivers as well?
newfiend~

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:30 pm

@Curtis You also have the latest Driver set for all your hardware (mostly Haswell Video Driver updates etc..)?

curtis

Post by curtis » Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:44 pm

Again, thanks for the reply. Yes to both things, fully updated. Latest firmware on both and latest available drivers. I've been digging around and have found some postings on Intel's forum that it may be an issue with their video card & drivers (though the HDMI audio controller software is from MSFT) that isn't currently supporting DTS-HD MA and TrueHD as they advertise they do. No confirmation from Intel but some others with 4000 and higher Intel video cards (mine being the 5000) reporting various issues including the WTV video crashing error noted here (when Windows audio is also set to 5.1 and exclusive mode is enabled), loss of audio entirely (supposedly now fixed) after sleep, and this lossless HDMI audio not showing issue.
My desktop has a AMD HD 5570 which appears to support lossless HDMI audio (or so says the web) but I've been loath to deal with unhooking and unburying it form it's current location though that is my next step to confirm that the NUC wasn't as good of an idea as I thought for my new entertainment center. Given that I didn't realize at first that the version of the PS3 I have doesn't output DTS/DD lossless (only via PCM), and then this Intel issue which they still advertise works (though it doesn't seem to), I've been possibly rather incorrectly pissed at Pioneer..

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:13 pm

curtis wrote:Again, thanks for the reply. Yes to both things, fully updated. Latest firmware on both and latest available drivers. I've been digging around and have found some postings on Intel's forum that it may be an issue with their video card & drivers (though the HDMI audio controller software is from MSFT) that isn't currently supporting DTS-HD MA and TrueHD as they advertise they do. No confirmation from Intel but some others with 4000 and higher Intel video cards (mine being the 5000) reporting various issues including the WTV video crashing error noted here (when Windows audio is also set to 5.1 and exclusive mode is enabled), loss of audio entirely (supposedly now fixed) after sleep, and this lossless HDMI audio not showing issue.
My desktop has a AMD HD 5570 which appears to support lossless HDMI audio (or so says the web) but I've been loath to deal with unhooking and unburying it form it's current location though that is my next step to confirm that the NUC wasn't as good of an idea as I thought for my new entertainment center. Given that I didn't realize at first that the version of the PS3 I have doesn't output DTS/DD lossless (only via PCM), and then this Intel issue which they still advertise works (though it doesn't seem to), I've been possibly rather incorrectly peeved at Pioneer..
Well, Other than contacting Intel (and testing the Desktop on your AVR which I am sure will work as it's supposed to) I think the only other option would be wait for a Driver or Bios update that addresses your situation for the 5000 series GPU.. Hopefully updating the HDMI Audio controller to Intel not MSFT and allowing the HD Audio streams to pass properly. Have you tried contacting Intel about your issue? do you know if they are looking into a fix for this?
newfiend~

curtis

Post by curtis » Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:13 am

Yup, I validated the Pioneer's DTS-HD Master capabilities show up and work fine with my desktop AMD 5570 card. TV playback still went south with audio in both locations set to5.1, as per the subject of this thread, so it is certainly a broader issue, not card manf/driver specifc.
As for the Intel Haswell NUC, the controller Intel provides in it's video card drivers is MSFTs so there is nothing that can be changed. I'll be constructively yelling at them in their forums with the rest of the folks as I'm now past the Newegg return window unfortunately.

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:26 am

Well, there is always ebay.. =) You could recoup most of your loss there and work out a new path for Home Theater bliss... =)

curtis

Post by curtis » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:09 am

An update in case anyone with similar Haswell chip with an Intel 5000 video card module comes across this thread. I found out that the HDMI audio controller should have specified it was Intel driver, not a Microsoft driver. Intel's driver pages are just very poor. If you go to the auto-detect it will tell you some of the things are out of date but in this case most of the links it gave to the updated versions were dead. So I was using the drivers it listed when you search for your system + OS which are apparently are not the same as for some reason as they don't contain all aspects like this HDMI Audio driver. So in the case of the video driver, I was getting core video driver and the GUI controls from Intel but it wasn't installing the HDMI audio driver. After doing as search for the version # listed in the auto-detected drivers that had dead links, I found a different driver (that didn't even have the same format of driver version #) that did install the HDMI audio. (Similar issues with the wireless card and network drivers not being complete). So now it shows the receiver as supporting DTS-HD MA and TrueHD and can bitstream as you'd expect from Total Media Theater and my MKV's via LAV filter.

Buuuuut after all that, with the Intel driver correctly installed, it still suffers from the subject of this thread; you can't have Windows set to 5.1 and Media Center set to 5.1 and Exclusive Mode enabled or the TV audio does its stutter-and-fail thing. So while I now can bitstream the lossless formats, I can't do that while being able to output FLAC encoded audio as 5.1 and have the TV play correctly... :-S

I’ll be posting a summary of my settings and output findings in the Win 8 Media center page in a bit.