Echo crashes after a couple of hours

Talk with fellow members about Ceton's Media Center Extender.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
IownFIVEechos

HTPC Specs: Show details

Echo crashes after a couple of hours

Post by IownFIVEechos » Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:04 pm

CrazyCanuck wrote:I try to stay away from the bashing but I have to say Ceton are ridiculous.
If they were serious about the product they would have at least shot an update or two out shortly after the Android cancellation.

I have two Xbox360s that I'd replace tomorrow if I even got a glimpse of hope from Ceton. Brutal.

How a product can be out for 14 months and can't play an x264/MP4 without being choppy blows my mind.
The inconsistency from user to user and the fact that they have no control of changing anything (probably) makes it hard for them to give us an update. Yes they can turn the light on and off and change the splash screen, but that's probably it. I enjoyed HBO on it last night without any issue. It actually works better on the premium channels then my HTPC because the HTPC will crash every now and then because of the refresh 29/50 or whatever the numbers are. I get my HTPC to not show the dimming in and out but behind the scenes it must have issues because it will crash after a couple hours. Anyone else know what I am talking about?

[Moderator note: topic split from http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... 363#p70363]

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:32 pm

IownFIVEechos wrote:The inconsistency from user to user and the fact that they have no control of changing anything (probably) makes it hard for them to give us an update. Yes they can turn the light on and off and change the splash screen, but that's probably it. I enjoyed HBO on it last night without any issue. It actually works better on the premium channels then my HTPC because the HTPC will crash every now and then because of the refresh 29/50 or whatever the numbers are. I get my HTPC to not show the dimming in and out but behind the scenes it must have issues because it will crash after a couple hours. Anyone else know what I am talking about?
Yes, I understand, parts of what you say.

1-I have noticed most (if not all) SD channels are, to me, unwatchable. HD is fine.

2-I don't understand how your Echo's can play TV more reliably than your HTPC.

3-I did notice, during the weekly firmware updates last xmas, each update would be great for some and bad for others. I still remember 12-19- being the best for me. That's why I have always insisted that we be able to select our own firmware. It appears that this Echo hardware is impossible to write one firmware that makes every configuration happy. As I recall, they went 2 steps backward for every 1 step forward. Sometimes, more than 2 steps back.

IownFIVEechos

Post by IownFIVEechos » Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:50 pm

Crash2009 wrote:
IownFIVEechos wrote:The inconsistency from user to user and the fact that they have no control of changing anything (probably) makes it hard for them to give us an update. Yes they can turn the light on and off and change the splash screen, but that's probably it. I enjoyed HBO on it last night without any issue. It actually works better on the premium channels then my HTPC because the HTPC will crash every now and then because of the refresh 29/50 or whatever the numbers are. I get my HTPC to not show the dimming in and out but behind the scenes it must have issues because it will crash after a couple hours. Anyone else know what I am talking about?
Yes, I understand, parts of what you say.

1-I have noticed most (if not all) SD channels are, to me, unwatchable. HD is fine.

2-I don't understand how your Echo's can play TV more reliably than your HTPC.

3-I did notice, during the weekly firmware updates last xmas, each update would be great for some and bad for others. I still remember 12-19- being the best for me. That's why I have always insisted that we be able to select our own firmware. It appears that this Echo hardware is impossible to write one firmware that makes every configuration happy. As I recall, they went 2 steps backward for every 1 step forward. Sometimes, more than 2 steps back.
1- Check that your not zooming in on the SD channels. Once you zoom or even hit zoom and back to zoom1 you are going to have to restart it. Otherwise you get the crazy unwatchable screen.

2- Call me lucky/unlucky depends on how you look at it.

3- I love the March 20th version. Only have it on 1 echo.