Can anyone recommend a decent quality USB IR receiver?

A place to talk about GPUs/Motherboards/CPUs/Cases/Remotes, etc.
Sausages

HTPC Specs: Show details

Can anyone recommend a decent quality USB IR receiver?

Post by Sausages » Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:29 am

Hello everyone - First post! :wave:

I'm in dire need of a decent quality USB IR receiver for my WMC setup. I currently have an eBay cheapo one - supposedly HP, but who really knows? - and it has a problem where it intermittently stops working and Windows reports a data error in the Device Manager. (I have a suspicion that it's occasionally throwing a fit because the motherboard's USB 3.0 only - I've read about mysterious incompatibility problems between newer controllers and older devices elsewhere.)

Could anyone recommend somewhere I can buy a reliable IR receiver from? Or are there any particular types I should look out for?

Thanks!

Edit: I suppose I should confirm that this is for an RC6 remote, not data transfer or anything exotic!

Mike88

Post by Mike88 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:10 am

These go on sale every so often for $14-$15. The remote comes with an MCE IR receiver which I've also used with an RCA remote.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6880101002

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6880101008

I know they work with USB2. Have no idea about USB3.

Sausages

Post by Sausages » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:02 am

Great - thanks for the info. I'll check them out.

Doctor Feelgood

Post by Doctor Feelgood » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:24 am

Another vote for Rosewill. I use a different unit - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6880101007 - Slightly bigger receiver, but these also go on sale for less than $15. Works well with all the remotes I have ever used and one is actually plugged in to a USB 3.0 port. Had mine about 2 years I guess. The USB 3.0 thing should not matter on any system, as long as you install the USB 3.0 host drivers on the system, which is never an out-of-the-box thing.

jjwatmyself

Post by jjwatmyself » Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:03 pm

Mine is a combo multi card reader and IR. I like it because it is internal but also has a rear mount internal bracket with wired IR in and IR out by way of 2.5mm jack. The install is very clean. EBay shows lots of similar products.

http://m.ebay.com/sch/i.html?kw=card+re ... +reader+ir

Sausages

Post by Sausages » Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:55 am

Thanks for all your help, everyone!

The Rosewill products do look good - I'll order one in a minute.

Mike88

Post by Mike88 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:01 am

Doctor Feelgood wrote:Another vote for Rosewill. I use a different unit - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6880101007 - Slightly bigger receiver, but these also go on sale for less than $15. Works well with all the remotes I have ever used and one is actually plugged in to a USB 3.0 port. Had mine about 2 years I guess. The USB 3.0 thing should not matter on any system, as long as you install the USB 3.0 host drivers on the system, which is never an out-of-the-box thing.
I did try that Rosewill RHRC-11001 remote. And just to clarify for the OP, the remote is not a learning remote. It's been a while but the receiver learns cable box commands or something to that effect.

wbroadley

Post by wbroadley » Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:33 am

For a receiver, I'd recommend this one: Lenovo Receiver Model:RXX6000

Doctor Feelgood

Post by Doctor Feelgood » Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:26 pm

Mike88 wrote:
Doctor Feelgood wrote:Another vote for Rosewill. I use a different unit - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6880101007 - Slightly bigger receiver, but these also go on sale for less than $15. Works well with all the remotes I have ever used and one is actually plugged in to a USB 3.0 port. Had mine about 2 years I guess. The USB 3.0 thing should not matter on any system, as long as you install the USB 3.0 host drivers on the system, which is never an out-of-the-box thing.
I did try that Rosewill RHRC-11001 remote. And just to clarify for the OP, the remote is not a learning remote. It's been a while but the receiver learns cable box commands or something to that effect.
Yeah - to be more clear - I don't use the remotes, just the receivers. I use these - http://amzn.com/B001KC08A4 - completely backlit, completely programmable. Not specifically a WMC remote, but they work perfectly and the wife and mother-in-law both approve. :lol:

werds

Post by werds » Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:26 am

I use the Rosewill receiver from that remote package as well and it has taken everything tossed at it with aplomb! The only thing it had an issue with at one point was the dynamic lighting from my TV set but that seems to be normal (I just used the tape trick to fix that).

Also I know occasionally these remotes drop to a lower price and or show up on the Shellshocker deals.

Mike88

Post by Mike88 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:08 am

Actually I use the Rosewill receiver with the RCA RCRP05B programmable remote. It's not backlit but I got it on sale for about $8.

element192

Post by element192 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:15 pm

I'm actually in a similar situation. I've been using Flirc but it's been really buggy with my system and my WAF is hurting because of it... I'm thinking of trying out a MCE IR & remote to program with my URC R-40 (learning remote). I typically prefer Amazon because they are great with returns if needed and 2-day shipping. Does anyone have any experience with this http://www.amazon.com/Ortek-Windows-Inf ... mce+remote remote?

It seems to get good reviews and is only $15 with free shipping (for Prime). Any thoughts?

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:51 pm

Ortek is fine. It has a few quirks, and no additional commands besides what you see on the remote. I use one myself with several different universals. The benefits are the size, the price and the mouse pad. Play/pause and a few other commands work a little differently than their MCE counterparts. And it wakes the PC like a champ, unlike most other cheap, so-called MCE dongles.

Although it works fine with WMC, it's technically not MCE as it uses the Ortek protocol rather than MCE (RC6). Since learning RC6 is a bad idea anyway because of the toggle bit, you're probably better off with the Ortek. But I'm very surprised your R-40 doesn't have MCE codes built-in.

element192

Post by element192 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:55 pm

Thanks for the reply. Experimenting with another remote doesn't sound appealing right now... Which do you use personally? And would you recommend it?

I couldn't find anything for MCE in the remote, but I didn't really dig too much because I'm using the Flirc which emulates a keyboard. But even if it did have the commands built in, I still need an IR receiver.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:38 am

@element192: The Ortek remote will work, but it is NOT a Media Center remote. Really, try one of the Rosewill remotes listed above.

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:38 am

element192 wrote:Thanks for the reply. Experimenting with another remote doesn't sound appealing right now... Which do you use personally? And would you recommend it?

I couldn't find anything for MCE in the remote, but I didn't really dig too much because I'm using the Flirc which emulates a keyboard. But even if it did have the commands built in, I still need an IR receiver.
As I said, I use that Ortek myself, and do recommend it. But an HP or Rosewill does more and is genuine MCE. Since I don't need the additional MCE stuff and couldn't care less about the protocol, I'm fine with the Ortek in order to save a few bucks.

Problem with MCE is if you're learning, it may not work properly because there is a bit that toggles with every command. Whichever version of the command you learn, toggled on or off, is the one that gets sent. Result is that repeated buttons don't repeat properly, and some buttons may only work every other button press. No guarantees of success or failure depending on how your remote analyzes learns. If you use built in MCE codes, then it's no problem since the remote knows to toggle the right bit in the protocol. Learns don't typically know what the protocol is or how it's supposed to work. But your remote may be smart enough to handle it. Who knows.

element192

Post by element192 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:40 am

mdavej wrote:As I said, I use that Ortek myself, and do recommend it. But an HP or Rosewill does more and is genuine MCE. Since I don't need the additional MCE stuff and couldn't care less about the protocol, I'm fine with the Ortek in order to save a few bucks.

Problem with MCE is if you're learning, it may not work properly because there is a bit that toggles with every command. Whichever version of the command you learn, toggled on or off, is the one that gets sent. Result is that repeated buttons don't repeat properly, and some buttons may only work every other button press. No guarantees of success or failure depending on how your remote analyzes learns. If you use built in MCE codes, then it's no problem since the remote knows to toggle the right bit in the protocol. Learns don't typically know what the protocol is or how it's supposed to work. But your remote may be smart enough to handle it. Who knows.
You sure did, guess I missed that in my initial reading. I think I'll give the Flirc another week or so to see how obnoxious its current flaws will be. Then I'll look into getting a MCE IR receiver if I need to replace it. Thanks for the info.

CyberSimian

Post by CyberSimian » Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:13 am

element192 wrote:
mdavej wrote:As I said, I use that Ortek myself, and do recommend it.
You sure did, guess I missed that in my initial reading.
I know that mdavej likes the Ortek, but I purchased one to solve a particular problem that I have with my MCE remote, and was disappointed to find that the Ortek has several other quirks, one of which is (for me) a show-stopper, namely the fact that the INFO button does not work correctly. So reluctantly I would not recommend purchasing an Ortek. Also be aware that the Ortek is sold under several other brand names (Adesso, Gmyle, Hama, Sanoxy).

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:30 pm

I'll add to what CyberSimian wrote to say that the Ortek does not have a button that sends the command for starting Media Center (and going Home when Media Center is already running). The button to which I'm referring is the green one with the Windows logo, otherwise known as "The Green Button" for which this site is named.

I do agree with mdavej about the learning functions of most remotes. So, if your remote has a built-in codeset for Windows Media Center, or if it can be programmed with one via a JP1 cable, I recommend going that route instead of using the learning function of the remote.

@element192: I didn't know what flirc was, so I had to look it up. If you go to your other thread where I gave you a link to all the keyboard shortcuts, you should be able to use those keyboard commands to program your flirc. However, doing it this way still won't work as well as a Media Center remote. When your software sends keyboard commands, you lose things like fast scroll in lists when you press and hold a button on the remote. The software will repeatedly send the command (down arrow, for example), but it won't simulate a press-hold of the key.

element192

Post by element192 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:28 pm

The R40 remote I have can be programmed with a JP1 remote but I thinkit still uses the "learn" function to do so. I also have no clue how to actually do it. I've looked into it but it seems like I have to buy a proper JP1 remote and some kind of special cable to be able to connect it my PC via USB.

It sounds like for MCE remotes the Rosewills are fine? I don't really understand what the differences are between them all (Newegg seems to have 3 or 4 models at the top of their list that all appear to be the same). A lot of other sources recommend the HP IR/remote, is that not necessary? I've only really seen them on eBay.