No 30 second skip on Echo with Windows 8?

Talk with fellow members about Ceton's Media Center Extender.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
scyto

HTPC Specs: Show details

No 30 second skip on Echo with Windows 8?

Post by scyto » Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:20 am

Yes, yes, I know the echo is not supported on win 8, but the playback of recorded TV and live TV works pretty darn good. However while ff and rewind works ok the skip back / skip forward doesn't. I have tried the ceton remote and my media center and neither works.

Can anyone verify this is normal.

scyto

Post by scyto » Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:10 pm

scyto wrote:Yes, yes, I know the echo is not supported on win 8, but the playback of recorded TV and live TV works pretty darn good. However while ff and rewind works ok the skip back / skip forward doesn't. I have tried the ceton remote and my media center and neither works.

It fixed itself, go figure!

pduncan1963

Post by pduncan1963 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:12 pm

scyto wrote:Yes, yes, I know the echo is not supported on win 8, but the playback of recorded TV and live TV works pretty darn good. However while ff and rewind works ok the skip back / skip forward doesn't. I have tried the ceton remote and my media center and neither works.

OK. I just have to ask... How did you get the Echo to work in Windows 8? I couldn't get it to do anything.

mini__me

Post by mini__me » Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:58 pm

Hi there,

May I jump in and ask a question about your Echo with Win 8...

I know that there is no GUI from a WMC point of view when the Echo connects to Win 8, however if you install MediaBrowser Classic and configure the Echo to boot straight to MediaBrowser does that provide you with a GUI in MediaBrowser?

With the upcoming added features in MB3 such as Live TV I am wondering if using MB3 with the Echo on Win 8 will allow me to upgrade my main HTPC to Win 8 with the license I bought a long time ago but have never used!

If you feel like having a go I'd be very grateful :)

Cheers

mini

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:26 pm

mini__me wrote:...if you install MediaBrowser Classic and configure the Echo to boot straight to MediaBrowser does that provide you with a GUI in MediaBrowser?
This would be great, but I don't see any possible way to do it.
pduncan1963 wrote:OK. I just have to ask... How did you get the Echo to work in Windows 8? I couldn't get it to do anything.
There is no GUI on the Echo itself. Just use the My Media Center app to control it. Works fine.

IownFIVEechos

Post by IownFIVEechos » Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:28 pm

mdavej wrote:
mini__me wrote:...if you install MediaBrowser Classic and configure the Echo to boot straight to MediaBrowser does that provide you with a GUI in MediaBrowser?
pduncan1963 wrote:OK. I just have to ask... How did you get the Echo to work in Windows 8? I couldn't get it to do anything.
There is no GUI on the Echo itself. Just use the My Media Center app to control it. Works fine.

And if your married let us know how that goes over with your spouse, and better if you have kids let us know if they break your tablet to put on barney? :) Cheers!

mini__me

Post by mini__me » Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:28 pm

I've seen the instructions around previously, in fact I think on this forum somewhere. I'll have a dig!

IownFIVEechos

Post by IownFIVEechos » Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:31 pm

mini__me wrote:I've seen the instructions around previously, in fact I think on this forum somewhere. I'll have a dig!
The whole rdp protocol is broken, no document will be found. :(

mini__me

Post by mini__me » Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:48 pm

IownFIVEechos wrote:
mini__me wrote:I've seen the instructions around previously, in fact I think on this forum somewhere. I'll have a dig!
IIRC it was based on setting a logon script for the user account, I assume that logon scripts will still work even with a change to the protocol, though I could be wrong :)

EDIT: Found it: http://community.mediabrowser.tv/permal ... -fun-stuff

I'm just curious to see whether MBC, which I believe to be a web based app, will render even though the GUI will not.

Alternatively, even if the GUI does not render if I can get it to boot to MBC it would offer the control of the Echo using the MB apps, and gradually I could migrate away from WMC hardware to MB3 compatible hardware overtime.

IownFIVEechos

Post by IownFIVEechos » Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:51 pm

mini__me wrote:
IownFIVEechos wrote:
IIRC it was based on setting a logon script for the user account, I assume that logon scripts will still work even with a change to the protocol, though I could be wrong :)

I'm just curious to see whether MBC, which I believe to be a web based app, will render even though the GUI will not.

Alternatively, even if the GUI does not render if I can get it to boot to MBC it would offer the control of the Echo using the MB apps, and gradually I could migrate away from WMC hardware to MB3 compatible hardware overtime.

Looks more and more like we will have to just take the loss on our echos. The roku's will be the goto device if MB3 gets a the roku app to have live tv. But who knows, Amazon is going to announce a set top box next month I think? So we may be having a whole new conversation then.

ajhieb

Post by ajhieb » Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:56 pm

mini__me wrote:I'm just curious to see whether MBC, which I believe to be a web based app, will render even though the GUI will not.
It would still rely upon the incompatible RDP protocol, so no, it will not.

mini__me

Post by mini__me » Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:56 pm

Yeah, either that or the fabled Nexus TV I think are the winners that don't exist at the moment.

An ATV1800 is also a possibility for me due to hardware acceleration for MPEG2 and H264 HD.

IownFIVEechos

Post by IownFIVEechos » Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:00 pm

On a side note I got the pleasure of re-pairing and updating my echo this morning while half asleep all while hearing how bad my tv setup is! So I got that that going for me today.

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:06 pm

IownFIVEechos wrote:
mdavej wrote:

And if your married let us know how that goes over with your spouse, and better if you have kids let us know if they break your tablet to put on barney? :) Cheers!
You're preaching to the choir. I used Win 8 only to see how it worked and in anticipation of the Android update that fizzled. No way would I do that all the time, or recommend anybody else do it. I was just confirming that it does work. I'm happily running Win 7 and using cheap IR remotes with my 4 Echoes and main HTPC. So no phones or tablets are involved, unless my (thankfully grown) kids find their phone more convenient than the remote, which they sometimes do.

clockwiseq

Post by clockwiseq » Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:53 pm

scyto
So sorry to sound so ignorate, but I am new to all of this and I have the Ceton infiniTV 6 ETH and a Ceton Echo. I have a Windows 7 Ultimate box that I have been using for Media Center services, but have a newer/faster PC with Windows 8.1 and I was wondering how you were able to connect the Echo to your Windows 8 machine?

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:39 pm

I don't remember exactly, but I do recall it being about the same as connecting to Win 7. It boots up, shows a code, and in WMC you enter the code. When connected, you get a splash screen on the Echo saying something about using MMC.