Can't play recorded tv through xbox 360

Discuss My Media Center for Windows 8, Windows RT, iOS, Android, and WP, and ask Ceton for support.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. There is no official support mechanism for My Media Center.
rickhantz

HTPC Specs: Show details

Can't play recorded tv through xbox 360

Post by rickhantz » Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:57 am

HTPC Win7 MC
Running My Media Center on Win 8 and Win 8.1
Recording management, etc, works fine.
When I go to play a recorded tv episode, I get "No devices detected capable of playback, ,,"
The xbox is on, and in WMC mode.
I can play all the recorded tv just fine through the xbox MC app.
Any ideas?
Last edited by rickhantz on Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:11 am

Xbox connected directly to TV or AVR then TV? HDMI connection?
If you are using an HDMI connection have you tried changing out the HDMI cable or connecting to a different HDMI port on the TV/AVR?

If those don't work try removing the extender from the HTPC and remove the settings from the XBOX. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... =windows-7
Then re-add the XBOX as an extender to WMC again.

I would also install the Optional Media Update for the XBOX as well. http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Produ ... f951377aff

rickhantz

Post by rickhantz » Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:36 am

xbox 360 is directly connected to the TV and works fine as an extender--been using it for years.
HTPC is also connected to the TV on a switch, because some of my mkv files won't play through the xbox, but I rarely need to go that route.
I just set the update to download, but I don't think that's the problem,
I remoted in to my WMC and upgrade the Ceton app there.
Didn't help, though.
Nothing plays if I use Ceton My Media Center. I can manage all the recordings, though. Can't even get it to live TV.
Last edited by rickhantz on Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:49 am

rickhantz wrote:xbox 360 is directly connected to the TV and works fine as an extender--been using it for years.
HTPC is also connected to the TV on a switch, because some of my mkv files won't play through the xbox, but I rarely need to go that route.
I just set the update to download, but I don't think that's the problem,
Try moving the HDMI cable to another HDMI port on the TV to test or try another HDMI cable.. Could be a cable or port going bad maybe??
No devices detected capable of playback could be anything.. but sounds to me like it possibly can't make a handshake somewhere between the Xbox and TV.
If that doesn't fix it try removing the extender from WMC and re-adding it and try playing the files again. (The more I think about this though if it were a handshake issue I don't think your Xbox would display anything on the TV at all. Since the only issue is Recorded TV files I would try the removal of the extender and add it back to WMC and see if the files then play.)
Optional Media Update is just good to have on the xbox anyway for .mp4 and .AAC Audio support. ;)
newfiend~

rickhantz

Post by rickhantz » Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:00 am

I can play through the Xbox to the TV just fine. If I ignore the Ceton app, everything works. Nothing will display or play if I use the Ceton app to control WMC. All works fine with the Xbox app,
So all my connections are just fine, its a config issue with the Ceton app.

rickhantz

Post by rickhantz » Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:23 am

Tried with my Nokia 920 Ceton app. Same error message.
Maybe the Ceton config on the WMC computer is not set correctly for playback.
The Ceton app can't detect that there is an active, Xbox 360 connected.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:28 am

rickhantz wrote:Tried with my Nokia 920 Ceton app. Same error message.
Maybe the Ceton config on the WMC computer is not set correctly for playback.
The Ceton app can't detect that there is an active, Xbox 360 connected.
What version are you using?
Attachments
Capture3.JPG

rickhantz

Post by rickhantz » Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:48 am

1.3.2.3 Win 8 app
1.3.2.1 WP app
13.11.29.1381 WMC base app

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:01 am

rickhantz wrote:1.3.2.3 Win 8 app
1.3.2.1 WP app
13.11.29.1381 WMC base app
Sorry Rick, I wasnt reading correctly. Disregard my question.

rickhantz

Post by rickhantz » Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:08 am

I turned off the Xbox 360 and connected the HTPC directly to the TV.
That worked with the Ceton app.

So there seems to be a bug with using Xbox 360 as an extender with the Ceton My Media center app..

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:33 pm

Sorry Rick reading the topic of your post I thought it may be a problem with the Xbox, not the Ceton MMC app. Next time I'll read better before posting. Have you checked windows firewall to make sure any ports needed by the MMC app are not being blocked? Also have you forwarded the necessary ports MMC needs on your router?

rickhantz

Post by rickhantz » Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:01 pm

Ceton app works perfectly without the Xbox. Even with the Xbox, you could set up recording, etc.

However, you could play NOTHING. Not live TV, recorded shows, or movies--it couldn't find the Xbox 360.
The Xbox is working fine, that's how I usually access the WMC and play stuff.
So I hooked up the WMC PC directly to the TV via HDMI (sound goes by digital to my receiver). Ceton app works fine with this combo.

UCBearcat

Post by UCBearcat » Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:43 pm

Take a look at this thread - http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... =63&t=6238

It looks like Ceton introduced a bug in the My Media Center service software that doesn't allow it to detect or control extenders. You will notice that the thread was created in October - and the fine folks on TGB have narrowed it down to certain versions of the software that are affected. There is a link there for where you can roll back to a previous build of the software that seems to fix the trouble.

Here is similar thread outlining the same issue. I'm pretty certain that your error message and the issues detailed in both of these threads are directly related. It is shame really. Three forum topics about the same bug - and not a peep out of anyone from Ceton.

Their website redirects us here for troubleshooting and support. Well, here we are. We have an issue, and we've identified the cause. Now where is Ceton to fix it??