Media Center hangs when registering tuners

SahuaritaDon

HTPC Specs: Show details

Media Center hangs when registering tuners

Post by SahuaritaDon » Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:14 pm

Am a new user and have just installed HDHomeRun. Install went fine and my scan produced 28 channels off my antenna. Then I went to WMC to set it up.
It downloads all the setup data then it "examines them" which takes quite a while.
It then says WMC detects "Digital Antenna (ATSC)(2 tuners)" and asks if this is correct and complete. I click on "Yes, configure TV with these results".
It then says "The following TV signals will be configured for WMC: Digital Antenna (ATSC): Digital Terrestrial Lineup (2 tuners) Select Next to confirm.
When you hit Next the spinning circle starts to rotate then it is dead from there. No mouse click works and I have to restart the system with Cntl-Alt-Del.

I have stopped WMC, deleted the .db file in eHome and restarted it.
I have run "sfc /scannow" with a report of no errors found.
I also ran "mcupdate.exe -manual -nogc -p"

My os is Windows 7 Professional with all the latest updates.

Am dead in the water. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

blueiedgod

Post by blueiedgod » Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:41 pm

Give it time. Just walk away for 10-15 minutes. Yes, that's about how long it took to set up 12 tuners on our system.

Hit the "start" button the keyboard, and you will see that PC is still running in the background.

dmagerl

Post by dmagerl » Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:58 pm

If its for OTA antenna use, you can also hit cancel when it starts it scan and then set things up manually when it asks. It goes much quicker than having to wait through the entire scan and might just avoid your problem.

SahuaritaDon

Post by SahuaritaDon » Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:36 pm

blueiedgod, I gave it 30 minutes so it's a circle of death!! I must Cntl-Alt-Del to get out. -- What is the "start" button you mentioned?
dmageri, hitting 'cancel' has no effect when the circle of death is running. What do you mean "when it starts to scan"? There is a period when it is downloading the setup data (program listings?) and then there is a period when it is examining the data. If I hit Cancel during either one of these will I get into a "manual setup" mode?

dmagerl

Post by dmagerl » Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:35 pm

It downloads the guide, then it goes into a scan for stations. It really doesnt need to do that. Just hit cancel during the scan and it will let you manually set it up.

SahuaritaDon

Post by SahuaritaDon » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:00 pm

Problem is solved. Here's what fixed it:
Open Task Scheduler (Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Task Scheduler).
Expand Task Scheduler Library, then Microsoft, then Windows, and click on Media Center. Right click on MediaCenterRecoveryTask and choose Run. Nothing will appear to happen. Wait 10 seconds, then reboot the PC. After it comes back up, open WMC and try again.

Thanks to Silicondust Support for the above.