List of laptops with internal displays that support WMC HDCP

A place to talk about GPUs/Motherboards/CPUs/Cases/Remotes, etc.
suttonb1

HTPC Specs: Show details

List of laptops with internal displays that support WMC HDCP

Post by suttonb1 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:52 pm

It seems that this is completely hit and miss, with more recent laptops coming up as total misses (DP/eDP). Is there anywhere that we could find this info, or possibly build ourselves here? I'm in the market for some new machines, but would like one that I can use fully with my HDHRPrime and WMC at home, including all protected content channels.

If anyone has a laptop that DOES support HDCP channels via WMC on the internal display, preferably released in the last year, please post here!

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:45 am

It's very simple: Any laptop that connects the display to the motherboard using any method other than DisplayPort will work. It's not very hard to figure out what connection is used if you do a little research.

suttonb1

Post by suttonb1 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:49 am

You'd think it would be that simple. However, it isn't that simple to find information on what connection a laptop is using. Sony, HP, Samsung, Lenovo.... None of their tech support reps can tell me anything.

blueiedgod

Post by blueiedgod » Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:37 pm

suttonb1 wrote:You'd think it would be that simple. However, it isn't that simple to find information on what connection a laptop is using. Sony, HP, Samsung, Lenovo.... None of their tech support reps can tell me anything.
That's because they don't make them themselves.

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:07 pm

suttonb1 wrote:None of their tech support reps can tell me anything.
You aren't going to get anyone to spoon-feed you the answer (especially not tech support, as your question is beyond the scope of technical support). You're going to have to do your own research.

suttonb1

Post by suttonb1 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:34 pm

that's exactly what I'm trying to do here. aside from buying every new laptop to test and return, there is no way to know what connection one would use.

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:49 pm

suttonb1 wrote:aside from buying every new laptop to test and return, there is no way to know what connection one would use.
Well, if you think that's the only way to answer the question, I guess you better go buy some laptops.

suttonb1

Post by suttonb1 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:53 pm

richard1980 wrote:
suttonb1 wrote:aside from buying every new laptop to test and return, there is no way to know what connection one would use.
Well, if you think that's the only way to answer the question, I guess you better go buy some laptops.
your comment is 100% helpful. Thanks for that!

seriously though. if you have some info, how about you post it.

ikdaed

Post by ikdaed » Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:10 am

Hi I have gone through two laptops and continue to get the "display driver error" when trying to watch proctected content on my internal/attached screen on the laptop. One laptop is the Dell Inspiron 5547 and the other is the HP ENVY 15t-k000 CTO Notebook PC. Both apparently have embedded Display Ports which are considered non-HDCP compliant.

My question is how do I find a laptop which is not using this eDP hardware. When I call technical support they are mostly clueless about this and don't even recognize the term HDCP-compliant when I ask about it. Also the sales people are even less knowledgeable.

Does anyone know of any laptops or manufacturers that I can try to get my Premium channels to play on the internal screen?

Also I am using the HD Home Run Prime. and all the other channels come in great and I am able to record and playback. I have also used my Xbox 360 as an extender. But I really want to be able to use a laptop to view my protected content.

Any Ideas??

[Moderator note: topic merged; please search before posting]

holidayboy

Post by holidayboy » Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:15 pm

One mad idea might be to search for replacement lvds cables on ebay to see what models use it?

I think that having lvds rules out a displayport connection?

I could be completely wrong though so don't take my word for it!........
Rob.

TGB.tv - the one stop shop for the more discerning Media Center user.

LuckyDay

Post by LuckyDay » Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:53 pm

I have never heard of this issue, didn't realize DP wasn't HDCP compliant.

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:56 pm

LuckyDay wrote:I have never heard of this issue, didn't realize DP wasn't HDCP compliant.
DisplayPort is HDCP compliant. However, Microsoft has not updated WMC to recognize DisplayPort as a compliant interface. :thumbdown:
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

jec6613

Post by jec6613 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:57 pm

Scallica wrote:
LuckyDay wrote:I have never heard of this issue, didn't realize DP wasn't HDCP compliant.
DisplayPort is HDCP compliant. However, Microsoft has not updated WMC to recognize DisplayPort as a compliant interface. :thumbdown:
Really? Because my ZBook 14 which is certainly eDP works fine, as does my external DP monitors, for protected content that won't go over VGA.

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:55 pm

signcarver

Post by signcarver » Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:04 pm

jec6613, I don't see any tuner in your specs and posts that would produce "real" protected content; has that changed?... WMC may respond to legacy protections but those aren't really protected the way it forces protection on cablecard tuners, hence the "Some protected content scenarios may work with DisplayPort with Media Center, but these are not officially validated" from the above mentioned link.

jec6613

Post by jec6613 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:40 pm

signcarver wrote:jec6613, I don't see any tuner in your specs and posts that would produce "real" protected content; has that changed?... WMC may respond to legacy protections but those aren't really protected the way it forces protection on cablecard tuners, hence the "Some protected content scenarios may work with DisplayPort with Media Center, but these are not officially validated" from the above mentioned link.
Yes, the Silicondust HDHR3-CC and a cablecard. I'll be updating the specs shortly. :)

There may be driver trickery involved, however. I know I can't use an off the shelf AMD driver or Intel driver for the video cards, or bad stuff happens (like system won't boot while docked bad) - I can only use the HP provided ones.

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:38 am

I think there's definitely some kind of trickery involved. Perhaps this trickery is one of those scenarios that is not officially validated.

jec6613

Post by jec6613 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:57 am

richard1980 wrote:I think there's definitely some kind of trickery involved. Perhaps this trickery is one of those scenarios that is not officially validated.
It's an AMD FirePro M4100 card with ISV certified drivers, on calibrated panels in an ISV certified system. It may not be validated by MSFT for media center, but this is hardly a cheap hack.