Is Media Center Dead?

dabretty

HTPC Specs: Show details

Is Media Center Dead?

Post by dabretty » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:22 am

/Split topic from:
Ceton vs. Gibson Lawsuit
ianken wrote:I'm chuckling at all the grief over echo. Why would ceton continue investing in media center at all? It's dead. The people who built it have moved on. ROFL.
So you worked for MSFT on WMC and now stop by a WMC forum to talk down to it? What's most unfortunate is that MSFT ever hired someone like you in the first place.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:53 am

dabretty wrote:
ianken wrote:I'm chuckling at all the grief over echo. Why would ceton continue investing in media center at all? It's dead. The people who built it have moved on. ROFL.
So you worked for MSFT on WMC and now stop by a WMC forum to talk down to it? What's most unfortunate is that MSFT ever hired someone like you in the first place.
"ianken - test lead" ... that says it all. He was the guy who pushed the buttons he was told to push, in order to test it... all those years ago. Glory days for him?

makryger

Post by makryger » Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:18 pm

ianken wrote:I'm chuckling at all the grief over echo. Why would ceton continue investing in media center at all? It's dead. The people who built it have moved on. ROFL
Ceton started investing in Media Center when it was still being somewhat actively developed in the earlier time of 7MC... and then every WMC enthusiast and his mother started saying "Dude! Ceton should build a MCX too!" Ceton saw an opportunity to make money and better our WMC experience, and thus they took it. Unfortunately, they discovered the limitations of the platform and/or hardware, took a gamble on Android instead, discovered it wouldn't work well enough either, so gave up and started pursuing other media ventures.
My Channel Logos XL: Get your Guide looking good! ~~~~ TunerSalad: Increase the 4-tuner limit in 7MC

STC

Post by STC » Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:28 pm

It's as good an answer as any that MS have dropped Media Center, so use the info and work with it for your present and future home AV plans.

Before bridges are burned, for those that may have forgotten, Ian was the guy that gave us those indispensable reg tweaks for Media Center: Nominal Range and AV Scaling.

Taking things off topic for a second, I wonder if Ian knows why MC runs at 1919x1080 and if it is fixable? Care to divulge reason(s) why it is so. I'm sure we'd all really appreciate some info on the matter. I can/will split the topic.
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

kingwr

Post by kingwr » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:27 pm

Ian, I believe, was also who told us that he was testing Softsled at home. I wonder if he held on to that code? (I realize this was Windows M C E 2005). Why can't I type "M C E" without it changing to "WMC?" Is that profanity?

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:38 am

ianken wrote:Why would ceton continue investing in media center at all? It's dead. The people who built it have moved on.
While WMC has been abandoned by its creators, it is far from dead. There is still an active community that uses WMC, and although that community is small, giving that community the new products and features it wants is still a profitable business. Perhaps if Microsoft adopted that mentality, the community would give Microsoft some money.

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:41 am

richard1980 wrote:
ianken wrote:Why would ceton continue investing in media center at all? It's dead. The people who built it have moved on.
While WMC has been abandoned by its creators, it is far from dead. There is still an active community that uses WMC, and although that community is small, giving that community the new products and features it wants is still a profitable business. Perhaps if Microsoft adopted that mentality, the community would give Microsoft some money.
^This...
I know that Media Center is dead to MS.. But the User Base is still very active. If it weren't why would the votes for extender functionality for the XBOX ONE be so high on the "wanted feature list" http://xboxvideo.uservoice.com/forums/2 ... top&page=1 with over 4,000 votes, as well as support for cable card tuners.. Theses are currently the #1 and #2 highest requested additions!? I get the whole idea that MS wants us to pay for everything and they want us to eventually move to something like the XBOX ONE for TV, but it just doesn't offer the flexibility I need.

So until either a new CEO at MS figures out that they can make money off us WMC users (pipe dream I know) or MS decides to allow us to use our own media on the XB1.. (or Guide Data stops) I'll stick with my ol' WMC setup. I still haven't seen a compelling reason to stop using it.. yet.
newfiend~

mark1234

Post by mark1234 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:03 am

richard1980 wrote:
It might be profitable for a small company (Ceton) but wouldn't be worth it for a Microsoft sized company. This has already been covered (4.5 years ago!) by former WMC Program Manager Charlie Owen:
Chris: Do you believe Microsoft will attempt to develop for the enthusiast market?

No. That's because they have never done so. The enthusiast market is always a subset of the overall market any product targets. Put another way: Where the goal is making a profit you wouldn't sacrifice a broad market opportunity of 100 for the narrow enthusiast market of 10. Making a Microsoft-sized profit is different than making a profit if you were a much smaller company.
http://blog.retrosight.com/CommentView, ... mmentstart

Whatever life is left in WMC is purely because there are a small number of us left using it. It's not going to get any more love from its creator, and all those Xbox One votes are lovely and all that, but ultimately futile. A few thousand votes out of millions of consoles sold? That's nothing.
Windows Media Centre - Abandoned by Microsoft

kingwr

Post by kingwr » Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:45 pm

If the market is so vital and a small company could be profitable in it, then why have non succeeded? Moxy, Sage, Ceton, and that other one... what was it?...Snapstream? All promised a PC ecosystem for watching TV and none survived in it.

IownFIVEechos

Post by IownFIVEechos » Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:00 pm

^^^ +1

It is the sad reality. We all want it to not fail, but the scale is just too large. Cable Companies + Microsoft = MONEY MAKERS. We are hobbyists.

Just13d

Post by Just13d » Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:01 pm

How much would it cost for say MB3 to be able to stream encrypted content from a cable card? I know there is a process for this I just do not know what the hoops are. Why not just start a kickstarter campaign for the cost to be shared by the community? Then we would have our next generation solution.

kingwr

Post by kingwr » Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:35 pm

My understanding is that any solution would have to 1) apply for and obtain CableLabs certification/licensing by proving that the content was adequately protected from source to display, or 2) license an existing technology, e.g. PlayReady, that was sufficiently CableLabs approved. These hurdles must be fairly substantial since companies like Sage were unwilling or unable to take them on. I am sure Richard could shed more light on this subject.

The other hurdle is that for most beyond the truly hardcore, any solution would have to provide at least the same functionality as today's cable and satellite whole-home systems with at least the same stability. Neither my WMC nor my SageTV ever really came close.

IownFIVEechos

Post by IownFIVEechos » Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:38 pm

kingwr wrote:My understanding is that any solution would have to 1) apply for and obtain CableLabs certification/licensing by proving that the content was adequately protected from source to display, or 2) license an existing technology, e.g. PlayReady, that was sufficiently CableLabs approved. These hurdles must be fairly substantial since companies like Sage were unwilling or unable to take them on. I am sure Richard could shed more light on this subject.
Perhaps the direction is wrong? How about a push to find a loop hole into somehow forcing providers not to copy protect content because of this failure in technology to view it? Probably have better luck ridding the world of the bits opposed to working around it? Has anyone every tried to fight the content control? Is that not a valid idea?

Our Slogan of course would be:

These Bits Byte.

Just13d

Post by Just13d » Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:45 pm

kingwr wrote:My understanding is that any solution would have to 1) apply for and obtain CableLabs certification/licensing by proving that the content was adequately protected from source to display, or 2) license an existing technology, e.g. PlayReady, that was sufficiently CableLabs approved. These hurdles must be fairly substantial since companies like Sage were unwilling or unable to take them on. I am sure Richard could shed more light on this subject.

The other hurdle is that for most beyond the truly hardcore, any solution would have to provide at least the same functionality as today's cable and satellite whole-home systems with at least the same stability. Neither my WMC nor my SageTV ever really came close.
A software solution should only have to apply for and receive a playready license correct? The hardware part is already done by Ceton and Silicon Dust.

blueiedgod

Post by blueiedgod » Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:24 pm

kingwr wrote:If the market is so vital and a small company could be profitable in it, then why have non succeeded? Moxy, Sage, Ceton, and that other one... what was it?...Snapstream? All promised a PC ecosystem for watching TV and none survived in it.
Call it being ahead of the time. When WMC launched in 2003, there was a handful of people who would even consider connecting TV to a PC. Fast forward 10 years, and the number of people connecting PC's to TVs or having the desire to view what was traditionally PC content (youtube, streams, netflix) on larger screens balooned.

Players like Roku, AppleTV, and WDLive entered the market allowing a number of people to deliver traditional PC desktop content on the PC. Look at Google, HUGE corporation, they are in it too, with the Chromestick.

Problem is that Microsoft jumped the ship before the movement gained momentum, and now, for someone to go back and say, "wait a minute, we were wrong" would look bad.

Microsoft never really marketed Media Center for what it is, they kind of threw it out there, and let people like us stumble upon it, and discover its virtues. This is where Microsoft failed.

Based on the numbers published by Microsoft, there about 8,000,000 WMC users, which to Microsoft is a small number, but 8,000,000 is 4x the number of TiVO subscribers, and TiVO seems to hang on.

I am sure companies like SiliconDust and Ceton, see that 8,000,000 base, as well, and hence they are in the market. The market may have been too small for AMD/ATI, but is just the right size for these guys.

Add the number of people running MEdiaBrowser, XBMC, OpenElec, Moxi, Sage, JRiver and what not out there and you have a sizable market there for any medium sized company.

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:34 pm

Is Media Center dead?

<checking TV real quick>

No, mine works fine. Maybe you should check your config.sys. Or autoexec.bat. What's your himem set to?

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:35 pm

mark1234 wrote: It might be profitable for a small company (Ceton) but wouldn't be worth it for a Microsoft sized company. This has already been covered (4.5 years ago!) by former WMC Program Manager Charlie Owen:
Chris: Do you believe Microsoft will attempt to develop for the enthusiast market?

No. That's because they have never done so. The enthusiast market is always a subset of the overall market any product targets. Put another way: Where the goal is making a profit you wouldn't sacrifice a broad market opportunity of 100 for the narrow enthusiast market of 10. Making a Microsoft-sized profit is different than making a profit if you were a much smaller company.
Except there's a problem with Charlie's way of thinking. Microsoft does develop for the enthusiast market...and WMC is the proof. Unless of course anyone wants to say that HTPCs are a broad market.
kingwr wrote:If the market is so vital and a small company could be profitable in it, then why have non succeeded? Moxy, Sage, Ceton, and that other one... what was it?...Snapstream? All promised a PC ecosystem for watching TV and none survived in it.
Nobody (except an HTPC enthusiast) wants a PC-based TV system. Which is why any company that attempts to build a PC-based ecosystem will fail in the mainstream market. In order to succeed in the mainstream market, a company must release a cost-effective STB that allows consumers to replace their cable box (and actually market it). And none of the companies you listed have done that. Instead, Sage, Ceton, and Snapstream all targeted the HTPC market. And all succeeded in that market. As for Moxi, it's hard to sell your STBs on the retail market when nobody knows you even exist.

IownFIVEechos

Post by IownFIVEechos » Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:41 pm

More proof it is dying. Comcast is creating more and more content via the STB.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-01-2 ... -grow.html

Why as a cable company would I want Microsoft to get rid of this type of profit? And Microsoft NEEDS the cable companies now that they are XBOXing away on the live tv. Hey 60fps NFL channel coming soon.

IMO

Dead as a doorknob!

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:15 pm

Comcast's cloud-based system is unlikely to draw very many users away from WMC, nor is it likely to attract users to WMC. In short, it has nothing to do with WMC being dead or alive.

IownFIVEechos

Post by IownFIVEechos » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:25 pm

richard1980 wrote:Comcast's cloud-based system is unlikely to draw very many users away from WMC, nor is it likely to attract users to WMC. In short, it has nothing to do with WMC being dead or alive.
But Microsoft needs to keep Comcast happy, hence you will not see extenders/media servers from them ever again. So as a doorknob right?

To argue any other way means you think they will one day again produce extenders and media servers correct? We know this is not going to happen. I am sadder than you trust me.