SD recording rather than HD

pcrequest

HTPC Specs: Show details

SD recording rather than HD

Post by pcrequest » Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:37 pm

I recently added a second tuner hooked up to analog SD cable, in addition to another tuner to an antenna for free off the air HD. My timers are set to record certain programs on specific channels. For example Big Bang Theory on channel 4.1 only (ATSC off air antenna) in HD. However Big Bang Theory records on channel 4 instead from SD cable. Happens with all my timers if an analog exists. Timers are all set to record on the hd channel only...seems like a bug. How do I fix this?

choliscott

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by choliscott » Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:35 pm

By chance can you explain a little more about which tuners boxes your using, how many tuners come on each box?

A couple things to check: Record history.. Does it show the show in question "did not record". What will happen is if a show is going to record & there was a problem with the first tuner it tries, it will throw an error, then try the next tuner & will record. It might have tried the tuner you wanted, but there was an issue (i.e. another show with higher priority using it, no signal for the show, etc)

Another thing to check is the "Event Viewer" for WMC. Check & see if there was any issues around the time of the recording.

Another thing to check, does the HD tuner box, have only 1 tuner on it, if so does another show have a higher record priority ?

Even though you told it to record HD only, if there is a problem with recording the HD version or there is no HD version of a particular episode of a show, it will record the SD version anyways. For example, if I schedule South Park to record HD only, I will still get SD versions recorded. I'm pretty certain this is not a bug, as it makes sure the episode does get recorded, regardless if it's HD or SD

Last thing to try testing, is removing Ch 4 from your channel guide & rescheduling a show & see what happens when it tries to record it.