My InfiniTV 6 PCIe just went nutty

Ask fellow members about Ceton's infiniTV tuners here.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
golfdude

HTPC Specs: Show details

My InfiniTV 6 PCIe just went nutty

Post by golfdude » Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:40 am

everything was fine yesterday, but for some reason didnt record anything, but the tv was working fine.. so i reboot the system, and see if the missing recordings would appear.. instead it wanted me to setup live tv all over again, and now it is only allowing the setup of 4 tuners, saying i can only set up 4 tuners per source for my operatng system (win 7 ultimate), when it had all 6 working before the reboot .. what the hell just happened to my tuner?

the ceton app still sees the tuners no problem, and is reporting no issues, with all 6 tuners at green for drm checks, but windows media center is blowing a fit on the 4 tuners

update:
hmm it seems that some rogue windows update killed it, b/c when i did a system restore to yesterday just now, everything went back to working ok.. i didnt have to setup live tv again.. everything was remembered.. but it doesnt explain the missed recordings and why a windows update would screw the tuner up.. not 1 show recorded yesterday, even one that i manually recorded while it was in progress

STC

Post by STC » Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:18 pm

For any HTPC it's recommended to turn Windows auto updates off.
Perform updates manually only when you are sure they wont bork anything.
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:37 pm

Missed recordings, dunno. Only 4 tuners, though, yeah--makes sense. The update reset Windows to that particular factory state, where it works with only 4 tuners of any given type.

Had you reinstalled the Ceton software, you would have gotten access to more than 4 tuners. But system restore works, too. And like STC said, just turn updates off now that you have the thing working.

My HTPC gets Security Essentials updates and Malware Bytes updates (just 'cuz), but no others. And the only outside places I go to would be WMC going for guide updates, and the occasional times I might go to Youtube. Oh, and I have the Amazon app sitting there, polling for the odd time I rent a movie and need to suck it down. That's it for outside access. So, no need for system updates.

If it ain't broken, don't fix it.

STC

Post by STC » Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:51 pm

Malwarebytes....the savior of many a care free clicker ;)

My HTPC has not had a Windows update for the last year and a half :shock:
It also runs no AV or AM but that's just because all I do is watch TV on it. I've even given up on TMT, now I have an Oppo, but that's another story.
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:17 am

yeah, not sure why I put Malware Bytes on it other than belt-and-suspenders, just-in-case back at the beginning, 3 years ago.

Maybe I can use that somewhere else--oh, wait, that's the only Windows computer in my life. Never mind.