"No available tuners" now multiple times per day

Ask fellow members about Ceton's infiniTV tuners here.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
muranoone

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by muranoone » Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:04 pm

If your ETH4 is dying Media Center cant find the drive to deliver live TV.

Set your recorder storage to a different drive or directly connect the drive to the PC.

machausta

Post by machausta » Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:10 pm

muranoone wrote:If your ETH4 is dying Media Center cant find the drive to deliver live TV.

Set your recorder storage to a different drive or directly connect the drive to the PC.
My ETH4 isn't dying for that reason -- its storing to a very new 3TB SATA drive with zero smart errors.

JohnW248

Post by JohnW248 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:48 pm

machausta wrote: My ETH4 isn't dying for that reason -- its storing to a very new 3TB SATA drive with zero smart errors.
Do you have any USB hubs installed? Do you have SDV? What cable system and what flavor of cableCARD/SDV do you have?

You can get various errors from MC and they might be different problems. If MC is not getting a timely response from the USB tuner, it'll give you an error as well. A failing drive will sometimes show a 1 min recording and drop and try again. So a little more information and look at Recorded TV/Schedule/History to see what's showing up there as well.

machausta

Post by machausta » Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:14 pm

JohnW248 wrote:
machausta wrote: My ETH4 isn't dying for that reason -- its storing to a very new 3TB SATA drive with zero smart errors.
Do you have any USB hubs installed? Do you have SDV? What cable system and what flavor of cableCARD/SDV do you have?

You can get various errors from MC and they might be different problems. If MC is not getting a timely response from the USB tuner, it'll give you an error as well. A failing drive will sometimes show a 1 min recording and drop and try again. So a little more information and look at Recorded TV/Schedule/History to see what's showing up there as well.
No USB hubs, I am using the 'short' usb cable that came with the Ceton plugged into the usb at the back of the PC. Its a motorola cablecard w/o SDV on Comcast's wonderfully abysmal service. When I power cycle or disconnect/reconnect the USB cable there is no change in the status of the tuner in Ceton diags (it just has two ? marks, as above from the OP).

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:40 am

This is just a wild stab in the dark, but I remember someone from Ceton saying that you shouldn't plug the USB tuner into a USB 3.0 port. Is it plugged into a 3.0 or a 2.0 port?

machausta

Post by machausta » Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:40 am

barnabas1969 wrote:This is just a wild stab in the dark, but I remember someone from Ceton saying that you shouldn't plug the USB tuner into a USB 3.0 port. Is it plugged into a 3.0 or a 2.0 port?
Its an older board (circa 2008) without usb 3. I did turn off power management in the network card in DM today after removing/updating the drivers for the NIC and Ceton to the latest.

We'll see if its still running in the morning, but it did 5 hours of 4 different recordings today simultaneously.

JohnW248

Post by JohnW248 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:49 pm

Maybe you've done these, but here are a few things to consider...

1. Try a different USB cable than the one that came with the tuner (my first one was defective)
2. Make sure you've applied all the MS Hotfix for USB
3. In power settings drill down in custom to USB and make sure it does NOT shut off
4. Make sure you get the sound "announcement" when you unplug and replug the tuner to the computer.
5. Check the tuner with the Web Gui not just the diagnostic tool. There is a link in the Dia Tool to open a web page when you do that you can click on the cableCARD tab and then check various cableCARD things. This is useful if the tuner is actually still responsive in the web gui but no signal to track down a cableCARD issue.

machausta

Post by machausta » Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:35 pm

JohnW248 wrote:Maybe you've done these, but here are a few things to consider...

1. Try a different USB cable than the one that came with the tuner (my first one was defective)
2. Make sure you've applied all the MS Hotfix for USB
3. In power settings drill down in custom to USB and make sure it does NOT shut off
4. Make sure you get the sound "announcement" when you unplug and replug the tuner to the computer.
5. Check the tuner with the Web Gui not just the diagnostic tool. There is a link in the Dia Tool to open a web page when you do that you can click on the cableCARD tab and then check various cableCARD things. This is useful if the tuner is actually still responsive in the web gui but no signal to track down a cableCARD issue.
It has not died now for more than 12 hours...I will follow these steps if/when it keels over.

BangBang

Post by BangBang » Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:29 am

I battled with disappearing tuners for 2 yrs with my infinitv4. Had to reboot every other day to get my tuners back. Support did nothing but ask for diags and offer windows update suggestions. Installed a Infinitv6 3 weeks ago using same hardware and same cablecard and has been rock solid for those 3 weeks. Guess my 4 tuner card was a lemon from the beginning as I suspected. Shoulda got a damn extended warranty

blueiedgod

Post by blueiedgod » Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:39 pm

BangBang wrote:I battled with disappearing tuners for 2 yrs with my infinitv4. Had to reboot every other day to get my tuners back. Support did nothing but ask for diags and offer windows update suggestions. Installed a Infinitv6 3 weeks ago using same hardware and same cablecard and has been rock solid for those 3 weeks. Guess my 4 tuner card was a lemon from the beginning as I suspected. Shoulda got a damn extended warranty
How was InfiniTV4 cooled? When I first got it, it did the disappearing act, and like you said, ceton diagnostics did not help. Putting a fan on it, solved the problem.

Even though Ceton states that InifniTV4 can operate in higher temps, in real world, it just disappears when it gets hot.

When I got the ETH, I did not hesitate to put a fan on it.

cybrsage

Post by cybrsage » Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:18 am

I had the same issue with the InfTV4 until I put a fan on it. Thinking of that, maybe I should add another fan to my Eth6. I have a laptop cooler underneath it, but that barely moves any air. Hmm...

Jay

Post by Jay » Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:13 pm

Just picked up an InfiniTV6 ETH and installed as it replaced a SD Prime 3 tuner. I have it tied to 2 machines, and on one machine no problem, on the other I am getting a no tuner available. However, I use the html scrip to check the status and it looks like 5 of the 6 tuners are not in use and even 1 is completely not active (no channel even tuned).

Any suggestions on how to resolve? I also have my main HTPC with 2x InfiniTV4 that I would like to retire in favor of the ETH, but I can't do that if I am going to have issues with the ETH tuner not releasing tuners appropriately.

machausta

Post by machausta » Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:10 am

BangBang wrote:I battled with disappearing tuners for 2 yrs with my infinitv4. Had to reboot every other day to get my tuners back. Support did nothing but ask for diags and offer windows update suggestions. Installed a Infinitv6 3 weeks ago using same hardware and same cablecard and has been rock solid for those 3 weeks. Guess my 4 tuner card was a lemon from the beginning as I suspected. Shoulda got a damn extended warranty
I've noticed no further issues since re-installing the drivers.

I had the tuner laying flat and it would overheat, I turned it on its side and it hasn't done that since.

kd6icz

Post by kd6icz » Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:11 pm

Mine still comes and goes. I don't think mine has anything to do with the Ceton card. I used to have Automatic Updates turned on. Now that I have that set to manual I closely monitor what updates are being installed. I did a whole bunch of updates and so far the system is rock solid! I've had an extender going non - stop for 48 hours and no errors whatsoever. So if this continues I won't be doing anymore updates until needed.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:39 pm

When Windows Updates is set to "manual", it will still automatically install critical updates without warning.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:41 pm

Just for the record, my recommendation would be to buy a Silicondust HD HomeRun PRIME (or two of them) on Amazon. Remove the InfiniTV tuner (and uninstall the drivers for it) and try the HDHRP for up to 30 days. If it doesn't fix your problem, send it back and get a refund. If it does fix your problem (which I bet it will), sell your InfiniTV on e-bay to recoup your costs.

Just my 2c.

brainwarped

Post by brainwarped » Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:27 am

barnabas1969 wrote:Just for the record, my recommendation would be to buy a Silicondust HD HomeRun PRIME (or two of them) on Amazon. Remove the InfiniTV tuner (and uninstall the drivers for it) and try the HDHRP for up to 30 days. If it doesn't fix your problem, send it back and get a refund. If it does fix your problem (which I bet it will), sell your InfiniTV on e-bay to recoup your costs.

Just my 2c.

+1

Dragonfly

Post by Dragonfly » Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:12 am

barnabas1969 wrote:Just for the record, my recommendation would be to buy a Silicondust HD HomeRun PRIME (or two of them) on Amazon. Remove the InfiniTV tuner (and uninstall the drivers for it) and try the HDHRP for up to 30 days. If it doesn't fix your problem, send it back and get a refund. If it does fix your problem (which I bet it will), sell your InfiniTV on e-bay to recoup your costs.

Just my 2c.
Times infinity plus another infinity. Totes amazeballs.

kd6icz

Post by kd6icz » Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:56 pm

Isn't Silicondust coming out with a 6 tuner single CableCARD unit in the near future?

RyC

Post by RyC » Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:36 pm

Yes, "Q2 2014"