Playready won't update!

rockbottom73

HTPC Specs: Show details

Playready won't update!

Post by rockbottom73 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:20 pm

I have an old HTPC in the bedroom that I've been using for a couple of years now with a ceton tuner with minimal problems. I decided to buy a laptop to use in the living room with media center. The laptop came with Windows 7 preloaded and discs to upgrade to Windows 8. I decided to try Windows 8 and installed it. Setup media center with no problems then started to have problems with the laptop randomly freezing for up to 5 minutes. Found out it was driver problem but decided to restore to factory settings and use Windows 7. After restoring I tried to setup media center and couldn't get playready to update. Fought with it for a while with no luck and decided to take a break and use the old HTPC only to find that it now asks me to update playready too but it won't update now either. I've searched and tried every fix I can find for the last 2 weeks with no luck. I've tried the ResetDRM utility, deleting playready files, uninstalling playready, checking my time and date, and probably other things that I've forgot by now. I finally gave up and did a clean reinstall on the laptop but it still wouldn't work. Also did a clean reinstall of the HTPC on a new partition but it still won't update. I'm completely out of ideas for anything else to try. Anyone have any suggestions on what the problem is or what else to try? Thanks in advance.

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:12 pm

You also have to run Digital Cable Advisor. Even if your setup seems to work without it, there are some hidden things it does that are essential to DRM working properly.

Also, running the following in IE worked for me when all else failed:
http://drmlicense.one.microsoft.com/Ind ... ndivit.asp

The ResetDRM utility can bite you too. It will keep on resetting DRM until you uninstall it. So run it once, then uninstall, then try Play Ready again.

rockbottom73

Post by rockbottom73 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:45 pm

I'm sure I ran DCA before but I reran just to be positive. It passed and updated system settings.

I think I tried to run the security upgrade before too but it seems like it didn't complete. I was able to get it to run and update this time.

Thanks for the info on uninstalling the ResetDRM utility. I didn't remember seeing that.

Unfortunately it tried all of the but it still won't update playready. What I did notice is that when I ran ResetDRM it runs but the log says CleanDRM failed. "Failed to open data store exclusively". I'm not sure if this happened before. It's possible that I just missed it. I'm running it as administrator in Windows 7 compatibility mode. Also tried extracting to new folder and running CleanDRM as admin in W7 mode. When I do this a box opens then disappears but there is nothing saying it worked or failed. Nothing seems to work.

webminster

Post by webminster » Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:56 pm

Do some more googling on the topic... as I recall, many have had issues with the update until they stopped the ehrecvr service...
-Alan

seangrimes

Post by seangrimes » Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:15 am

I've tried this and MANY other things including tinkering with the registry. None of those methods worked for me. This is what I had to do:

Uninstall Playready from Control Panel (reboot may be necessary).
Uninstall Digital Cable Advisor from Control Panel
Open WMC
Run Digital Cable Advisor
Go through Live TV Setup

I hope this helps someone.
"Power is the ability to define reality and then to convince others that it is their definition."

IownFIVEechos

Post by IownFIVEechos » Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:18 pm

This post has a section on resetting thePlayReady. Not sure if it helps.

http://www.silicondust.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?t=12216

Taken from article:

If you need to reset PlayReady, you can do the below to speed up the process (no uninstall of the PlayReady software). This just resets the data to the default state (read: empty).

1. Close Media Center
2. Open CMD prompt as Admin (click on the start manu, type cmd, right click on the exe and select "Start as admin"
3. Type “net stop ehrecvr”
4. Type “cd %programdata%\Microsoft\PlayReady”
5. Type “del *.hds”
6. Type “rmdir /s Cache”
7. Type “cd %programdata%\Microsoft\ehome”
8. Type “del *.hds”
9. Type “rmdir /s Cache”
10. Type “net start ehrecvr”
11. Launch Media Center
12. Go to Tasks->Settings->TV->Update PlayReady

seangrimes

Post by seangrimes » Sat Apr 12, 2014 3:58 am

seangrimes wrote:I've tried this and MANY other things including tinkering with the registry. None of those methods worked for me. This is what I had to do:

Uninstall Playready from Control Panel (reboot may be necessary).
Uninstall Digital Cable Advisor from Control Panel
Open WMC
Run Digital Cable Advisor
Go through Live TV Setup

I hope this helps someone.
It seems as if the above fix doesn't work all the time. I have the Playready issue again and can't seem to get it fixed this time. Even reinstalling Windows didn't help!
"Power is the ability to define reality and then to convince others that it is their definition."

seangrimes

Post by seangrimes » Sat Apr 12, 2014 4:00 am

IownFIVEechos wrote:This post has a section on resetting thePlayReady. Not sure if it helps.

http://www.silicondust.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?t=12216

Taken from article:

If you need to reset PlayReady, you can do the below to speed up the process (no uninstall of the PlayReady software). This just resets the data to the default state (read: empty).

1. Close Media Center
2. Open CMD prompt as Admin (click on the start manu, type cmd, right click on the exe and select "Start as admin"
3. Type “net stop ehrecvr”
4. Type “cd %programdata%\Microsoft\PlayReady”
5. Type “del *.hds”
6. Type “rmdir /s Cache”
7. Type “cd %programdata%\Microsoft\ehome”
8. Type “del *.hds”
9. Type “rmdir /s Cache”
10. Type “net start ehrecvr”
11. Launch Media Center
12. Go to Tasks->Settings->TV->Update PlayReady
I've tried this and every other fix out there, but can't get anything to work. Even reisntalling Windows didn't help!

seangrimes

Post by seangrimes » Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:04 pm

Ok. Got it working and it was a lot easier than all of the other so called fixes.

I unplugged my router, switch, cable modem, tuning adapter and Infinitv 6 eth for about 2 hours. I then reconnected them and the Playready issue became a thing of the past!

I'm not sure what was holding me back, but I'm glad I'm back in business.