Echo non-responsive

Talk with fellow members about Ceton's Media Center Extender.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
tad

HTPC Specs: Show details

Echo non-responsive

Post by tad » Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:11 pm

I have two echos, both of which have worked more-or-less fine since I got them.

One of them stopped working last night after I rebooted my main media center. I get no display over HDMI and I am unable to control it using the My Media Center app.

Any suggestions on where to go with troubleshooting from here?

Edit: Based on another post from someone with similar behavior, it looks like if I leave it on for a while it may "self-recover" and reset to initial factory settings. I plan to try that tonight. Right now it's unplugged.

IownFIVEechos

Post by IownFIVEechos » Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:27 pm

Try and jiggle the Ethernet and the hdmi cables on the back of it. The JOY!

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:53 pm

+1
Every time I've had a problem like that, it's always been a lose cable either on the Echo or on the TV. These little boxes tend to accidentally get moved around more than my other components, eventually working something lose.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:38 pm

One of my first Echo's went "no HDMI" Ceton Support told me to send it back for replacement. I tried tapping, smacking, and wacking, even zapping. No luck. Hope you have better luck.

Dumb questions coming up.....Is the matrix OK?.......Have you bypassed everything and tried the Echo direct?

What does "The Detective" have to say?

I just thought of something.....I never did try freezing it. You know, plastic bag, like a stuck hard drive.

tad

Post by tad » Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:23 pm

Crash2009 wrote:One of my first Echo's went "no HDMI" Ceton Support told me to send it back for replacement. I tried tapping, smacking, and wacking, even zapping. No luck. Hope you have better luck.

Dumb questions coming up.....Is the matrix OK?.......Have you bypassed everything and tried the Echo direct?

What does "The Detective" have to say?

I just thought of something.....I never did try freezing it. You know, plastic bag, like a stuck hard drive.
Haha -- have not tried freezing it. If I don't get it to work again, though, I will soak it in water, freeze it into a cube, and then smash it with a sledgehammer. Of course, I will take a video and post it here if that's what it comes to.

I plan to troubleshoot some more tonight or when I get a chance... relatively low priority since I have a second one. The HDMI Matrix should be fine since all of the other inputs/outputs are working and switching as normal, but ya never know. I plan to hook it up directly to a TV when I test it out next. I'll keep y'all posted.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:45 pm

I'd try the "recovery" (73268379) thing first I guess, then the laptop thing, then Ceton Support for a death certificate.

I threw together a bunch of stuff over here http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... =69&t=3689

IownFIVEechos

Post by IownFIVEechos » Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:51 pm

That process looks delightful! What is going to happen when the update servers go bye bye? I always thought the USB computer process allowed for you to put the image iso back onto the echo via your pc. This sounds like it still downloads it? Is this because of 'play ready' licensing? I would think their is a way to capture the file being downloaded? I hope I never have to do those steps.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:52 pm

IownFIVEechos wrote:That process looks delightful! What is going to happen when the update servers go bye bye? I always thought the USB computer process allowed for you to put the image iso back onto the echo via your PC. This sounds like it still downloads it? Is this because of 'play ready' licensing? I would think their is a way to capture the file being downloaded? I hope I never have to do those steps.
The USB process was a pain...It got the HDMI working for me for a little while,,,then I bricked it,,not 100% sure how I screwed it up. As I recall, you might need 2 ethernet cables connected (1 to Echo and 1 to laptop). Also USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 came into question as well (USB 2.0 was preferred).

Would be nice to be able to just download the image (whatever version works best for your system)

tad

Post by tad » Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:25 pm

Just an update-

I left it powered on for about 15 minutes without touching it and then I got a screen that said "Recovering". After that, it was reset to factory settings. I reconfigured it and updated to the 304 firmware and now it's running "normal" again.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:53 am

tad wrote:Just an update-

I left it powered on for about 15 minutes without touching it and then I got a screen that said "Recovering". After that, it was reset to factory settings. I reconfigured it and updated to the 304 firmware and now it's running "normal" again.
If I could only get that lucky with my old Sony Vaio.