WMC slept fine until I added a tuner

Crash2009

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by Crash2009 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:02 pm

clemon79 wrote:For reference: looks like I fixed it.

I'd still love to know why this NIC is behaving the way it is, but it occurred to me this morning that the Shuttle kit I'm using has two NICs in it. Go into BIOS, disable one, enable the other, switch the cable over, reboot, set NIC the way I want it, voila, sleeping like a baby, waking only on command.

Next up: getting the libraries working!
Do the librarys from within WMC. Works better if WMC does all the mapping.

clemon79

Post by clemon79 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:06 pm

Crash2009 wrote:Do the librarys from within WMC. Works better if WMC does all the mapping.
Funny you mention that, because I was actively going to do then *outside* of WMC, because when I was doing them last night, I would add a few folders, then go to another library and try to add a couple there, and then the first folders I added would disappear. Ridiculously frustrating. Seemed like it would be easier to get that working in the OS and then just add the Whatever library to WMC.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:18 pm

clemon79 wrote:
Crash2009 wrote:Do the librarys from within WMC. Works better if WMC does all the mapping.
Funny you mention that, because I was actively going to do then *outside* of WMC, because when I was doing them last night, I would add a few folders, then go to another library and try to add a couple there, and then the first folders I added would disappear. Ridiculously frustrating. Seemed like it would be easier to get that working in the OS and then just add the Whatever library to WMC.
That's what I thought too. I don't think WMC likes using a shortcut to a shortcut. Not sure how to explain it.

I am sure someone will correct me. Won't be the first time, and won't be the last.

clemon79

Post by clemon79 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:15 pm

Crash2009 wrote:That's what I thought too. I don't think WMC likes using a shortcut to a shortcut. Not sure how to explain it.
Well, we'll see what happens. :) I'm not sure that there is any difference under the hood, since my Music library (outside of WMC) shows the network folders I set up, and I configured that inside of WMC. Seems like it's just a more reliable way to get to the same destination; I just need to link up the libraries inside of WMC and then I have a more reliable and informative interface on the outside for getting them tuned up.

clemon79

Post by clemon79 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:37 am

Resurrecting this for another issue...

So the thing is waking up again (or not going back to sleep) when I think it should be doing so. Running powercfg -requests gives me the following:

DISPLAY:
None.

SYSTEM:
[DRIVER] \FileSystem\srvnet
An active remote client has recently sent requests to this machine.

AWAYMODE:
None.

Now: I do have my libraries on this machine set to connect to folders on another machine in my living room where much of my media is. Would that be the cause of this? If so, then I'll have to figure something out and/or live with it. But I have to think I'm not the first person here to see this. :)

EDIT: I discovered that Advanced Power Options > Multimedia Options > When sharing media was set to "Prevent idling to sleep". I set it to "Allow machine to sleep" or whatever that was. Should this fix it? Will this affect things if I'm watching something on the machine using an Xbox as extender?

dmagerl

Post by dmagerl » Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:16 pm

You're going to have to do a registry hack.

save this to a .reg file and run it and reboot:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\PowerSettings\238C9FA8-0AAD-41ED-83F4-97BE242C8F20\d4c1d4c8-d5cc-43d3-b83e-fc51215cb04d]
"Attributes"=dword:00000000

Then go where you were before, the advanced power settings, and under Sleep, there should now be a new setting, "Allow sleep with remote opens". Set it to yes.

clemon79

Post by clemon79 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:21 pm

That definitely sounds closer to what's going on (and I'm not afraid of Registry hacks in the least :)), but what is the difference between that setting and the one I flipped above, just put of curiosity? Is the one I flipped going to have undesirable effects at some point?

dmagerl

Post by dmagerl » Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:54 pm

I'm speaking from memory here, its been a long time since I used XP, but as I recall in XP and Vista the setting "when sharing media" had to be set to 'allow computer to sleep" because running WMC was considered sharing media.

In win 7, I've not ever had to touch that parameter.

clemon79

Post by clemon79 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:07 pm

Well, I ended up switching it back to "Prevent idling to sleep" and used dmagerl's hack below. The issue I am having now is that it's waking up to check for updates (so when I check the event logs it's telling me that "mcupdate" woke it up) and then not going back to sleep again.

So I think I have a few options here:
  1. Keep the mcupdate scheduled task from waking the machine using this (certainly the thing is awake enough to still check with sufficient frequency to keep things up to date)
  2. Set an exclusion for the srvnet service in powercfg
  3. Use the "Suspend when a recording or guide update is finished" option in MST to try to address it (which I don't like as I have had it sleep the machine when I was using an extender to watch something else because a recording finished; easy enough to rewake it, but it's inelegant :))
I am not sure that the second one is the answer because it does appear to sleep even with that service poking around now. It might be a combination of 1) and 3).

clemon79

Post by clemon79 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:48 am

Actually, think I worked this out too. Playing with MST, it defaults both of the checkboxes for "Vista remote idle fix" and "Vista eHome idle fix." Since I'm on Win7, killed both of those, and for the last two days it's been sleeping and waking on schedule. Still might investigate mcupdate_scheduled further, but I think I'm finally in a stable state. :)

clemon79

Post by clemon79 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:19 am

Would enabling "Allow sleep with remote opens" cause the machine to sleep when using an Xbox as an extender? Is Extender functionality considered a remote open? I am having a problem right now where I am using the extender in my bedroom and the HTPC is still sleeping after fifteen minutes of I guess-it's-considering-itself-idle, even though I am watching a recorded program right now.