Remote recommendations?

A place to talk about GPUs/Motherboards/CPUs/Cases/Remotes, etc.
soureel

HTPC Specs: Show details

Remote recommendations?

Post by soureel » Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:39 pm

I'm researching what I need to use my desktop computer with my TV to watch and record OTA TV. I have everything figured out but the control of WMC. The computer on which WMC is located is in a different room that the TV. They are separated by two walls and approximately 20 feet. I So an IR remote won't work. I want to be able to sit in the room with my TV and control WMC on my computer. What are my options- Iphone or Android apps? what else?

epayson85

Post by epayson85 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:03 pm

I use a harmony 900 which comes with a RF box and two ir blasters. My htpc / media server is in my office along with my AVR and has a couple walls to go through. It works perfectly. Every once in a while there is a small lag but I can't figure out what causes it. It always goes away after a few minutes. Another thing I did was run a long USB cable through the basement and under my couch to a USB hub. I have a dongle for my wireless keyboard / mouse combo and my wireless 360 controller on it. Both work perfectly.

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:21 pm

If you want a traditional universal remote, any RF one like Xsight Touch, Harmony Touch/Ultimate/Smart, or several from URC will work fine. Also any cheap WMC or universal remote plus a Next Generation RF system. There are a few RF WMC remotes, but they aren't very universal (no macros, only one or two devices). My favorite iPhone app for PC and WMC control is Hippo Remote. Android has something similar but not nearly as good. I personally use a combination of things, Xsight Touch and Hippo, and when I need to do a lot of typing, a Logitech k400 keyboard/mouse combo. If you like an air mouse, like a Gyration, then the Mobile Mouse app for iPhone is a good option.

There are many more expensive and advanced options for iPhone/Android like iRule, Roomie, etc. These require more hardware and programming than the above options, but are very customizable.

If you are interested in Xsight, there are a lot on ebay at the moment for $50 each. They were $250 new and comparable to a Harmony 900, also that price new. You'll need to buy an RF base separately in some cases. Xsight uses the Nevo REX-433 or Acoustic Research ARRE433B RF base, both $30 and up on ebay as well. The Harmony 900 above is an option, but it was discontinued and replaced by the Ultimate. The 900 can't do sequence macros either, which many find very useful. All current Harmony remotes can do sequences up to 25 steps.

I perfer Xsight for several reasons, mainly price and more advanced programmability. But Harmony is the most popular. The models I listed also have their own iPhone app which stays in sync with the remote. It's probably the easiest to set up and use.

Besides an iPhone app, the absolute cheapest option would be a cheap universal like the JP1 capable RCA RCRP05BR and a Next Generation RF system. That gives you nearly all the functionality of a Harmony Smart Control at half the price.

In any case, if you get an RF remote, you'll also need an MCE IR dongle for your PC.