Vote for Microsoft to add InfiniTV suport to the Xbox One

Ask fellow members about Ceton's infiniTV tuners here.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
erkotz

HTPC Specs: Show details

Vote for Microsoft to add InfiniTV suport to the Xbox One

Post by erkotz » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:42 pm

Hi all,
I stumbled across a great suggestion on the Xbox UserVoice forums for the Xbox One to support the InfiniTV ETH as a video source for it's TV functionality. We would love to enable the InfiniTV to work on the Xbox One, but we need Microsoft to enable it on their side.

If you think this would be useful, you can vote it up at http://xboxvideo.uservoice.com/forums/2 ... estion-box

-Eric
Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation

makryger

Post by makryger » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:05 pm

You got my 3 votes! This could be enough to pull me away from windows media center... (which is what microsoft wants, right?) Then, the Xbox One would truly be "One". Network cablecard tuner + DVR storage + XBOX One could be a real winner.

I'm curious, Eric, what do you mean by "Microsoft would need to enable it". Is the functionality built in already for IPTV, or does it need to be developed more fully first?
My Channel Logos XL: Get your Guide looking good! ~~~~ TunerSalad: Increase the 4-tuner limit in 7MC

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:29 pm

+3 more votes.. External CC devices should have had this support already built in to the XB1 IMO.. Hopefully it gets support. If I could use an external CC device and get my media off my server to play on the XB1 through a MB3 app I would consider using the XB1 as well. I know the MB3 guys are working on MS trying to get an app for it. Hopefully they will eventually let that happen.

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:02 am

makryger wrote:You got my 3 votes! This could be enough to pull me away from windows media center... (which is what microsoft wants, right?) Then, the Xbox One would truly be "One". Network cablecard tuner + DVR storage + XBOX One could be a real winner.

I'm curious, Eric, what do you mean by "Microsoft would need to enable it". Is the functionality built in already for IPTV, or does it need to be developed more fully first?
I have no intimate knowledge of the XB1, but as far as I know there is no support for OCUR (or any IPTV at all). MS would have to either impement the DRI, give us an interface to implement, or allow us to implement it.
Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:44 am

My only worry with a Xbox would be storage space. My htpc soils me there.. Seems like the ceton network tuner support is getting votes hope it keeps going.

lithium630

Post by lithium630 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:52 am

newfiend wrote:My only worry with a Xbox would be storage space. My HTPC soils me there.. Seems like the ceton network tuner support is getting votes hope it keeps going.
Gross..

STC

Post by STC » Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:05 am

Added 3 votes.

Not having seen one running, how would guide data be handled? I presume using Zap2it, but there'd need to be a front end(?)
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

Woland

Post by Woland » Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:00 am

Added 3 votes. This could definitely convince me to get an Xbox One. Xbox One supports USB storage, right? Plug-in a 1 or 2 TB USB hard drive and you'd be set. I really like my HTPC, but being able to consolidate the Xbox + HTPC into just an Xbox One would be awesome.

Sort of related, I'd like to see MS "repackage" the Xbox One OS as a new version of (or replacement for) Media Center. Strip out the gaming component (or not) and add support for Cable Card tuners. Maybe I'm crazy, but I think that'd be a great Media Center experience.

kingwr

Post by kingwr » Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:10 pm

In its current state, it seems the XBox One is the farthest thing from a whole-home DVR of all the different solutions that exist. Adding tuner support for live TV would be just a first step to get it to where PCs were 15 years ago. It would then need to local storage management, always-on, recording scheduling, client/server, etc. I don't see this ever happening, and without all that, what's the point?

makryger

Post by makryger » Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:27 pm

kingwr wrote:In its current state, it seems the XBox One is the farthest thing from a whole-home DVR of all the different solutions that exist. Adding tuner support for live TV would be just a first step to get it to where PCs were 15 years ago. It would then need to local storage management, always-on, recording scheduling, client/server, etc. I don't see this ever happening, and without all that, what's the point?
I was just about to write "I'm pretty sure XB1 can control your DVR with it's guide overlay, so the interface is there, just not the code"... but then I decided to check myself, and found this useful FAQ:
https://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one ... h-your-dvr
My Channel Logos XL: Get your Guide looking good! ~~~~ TunerSalad: Increase the 4-tuner limit in 7MC

blueiedgod

Post by blueiedgod » Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:13 pm

STC wrote:Added 3 votes.

Not having seen one running, how would guide data be handled? I presume using Zap2it, but there'd need to be a front end(?)
There is front end for XBOX one, check out all the videos. It looks amazingly like an updated WMC. But, instead of using network tuners, it uses feed from a cable box. But, it gets its own guide, not from the cable box.

IownFIVEechos

Post by IownFIVEechos » Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:23 pm

In essence if this happened wouldn't the xbox one become the windows media center hub? And if so wouldn't that mean only xbox 360's could be used as extenders on it since it is windows 8.x? Wouldn't that cannibalize the echo? Would this be the infamous 'Q'? but only now XBOX one? Just asking...

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:42 pm

lithium630 wrote:
newfiend wrote:My only worry with a Xbox would be storage space. My HTPC soils me there.. Seems like the ceton network tuner support is getting votes hope it keeps going.
Gross..
LOL.. Ahh auto correct strikes again... Sometimes I wonder why they call these "smart phones"?? *sigh* it was supposed to be spoils but obviously windows phone thought differently..haha

volfan6415

Post by volfan6415 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:28 pm

blueiedgod wrote:
STC wrote:Added 3 votes.

There is front end for XBOX one, check out all the videos. It looks amazingly like an updated WMC. But, instead of using network tuners, it uses feed from a cable box. But, it gets its own guide, not from the cable box.
This is because it is an updated media center. The media portions of the XBOX one code were taken straight from the windows media center code.

Woland

Post by Woland » Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:17 am

IownFIVEechos wrote:In essence if this happened wouldn't the xbox one become the windows media center hub? And if so wouldn't that mean only xbox 360's could be used as extenders on it since it is windows 8.x? Wouldn't that cannibalize the echo? Would this be the infamous 'Q'? but only now XBOX one? Just asking...
I suppose this is true, but, ultimately, how many Xbox Ones are going to be sold? I'd guess tens of millions. If some small fraction of them decide to buy an InfiniTV for their Xbox One, Ceton would have access to a whole lot of machines sitting under TVs. Put another way: many, many more people will connect an Xbox One to their TV than people will connect a Windows PC to their TV.

Just13d

Post by Just13d » Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:36 pm

All I have to say if this does happen which I hope it does. Please do not mess it up Ceton. Nothing but respect for you guys but please make sure its 100% before you give it to the masses.

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:59 pm

kingwr wrote:In its current state, it seems the XBox One is the farthest thing from a whole-home DVR of all the different solutions that exist. Adding tuner support for live TV would be just a first step to get it to where PCs were 15 years ago. It would then need to local storage management, always-on, recording scheduling, client/server, etc. I don't see this ever happening, and without all that, what's the point?
And that is exactly why I'm not voting for it. At this point, everyone is voting for a live TV solution, not a DVR solution.

mcewinter

Post by mcewinter » Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:53 pm

richard1980 wrote:
And that is exactly why I'm not voting for it. At this point, everyone is voting for a live TV solution, not a DVR solution.
It's okay to watch live TV sometimes. :shh:

Woland

Post by Woland » Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:04 am

richard1980 wrote:And that is exactly why I'm not voting for it. At this point, everyone is voting for a live TV solution, not a DVR solution.
It seems like once you've convinced MS to enable the Xbox One to work with an InfiniTV to tune live TV, adding DVR functionality would obviously follow. The point is: WMC isn't going anywhere. It's a dead end. MS might be inclined to add functionality to the Xbox One and eventually develop it to parity with WMC with respect to cable TV.

To me, it looks like it would be a win for both MS and Ceton. Microsoft might be able to convince some people who are on the fence about the Xbox One to jump in. Conversely, some people might buy an InfiniTV if it worked with their Xbox One. I'm in the first group. I rarely play games. When I do, they tend not to be the type that needs oodles of power. For me, the Xbox 360 is perfectly suitable for they kinds of games I sometimes play. In fact, if I were to buy one of the new consoles right now, it would be a PS4 to get access to the "Playstation Cloud's" back catalog of older PS games. Being able to consolidate my HTPC and gaming, though, would instantly push me to the Xbox One.

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:49 pm

Woland wrote:It seems like once you've convinced MS to enable the Xbox One to work with an InfiniTV to tune live TV, adding DVR functionality would obviously follow.
If that were true, then the Xbox One would already have DVR support, since it already supports live TV from STBs.