Short audio drops

Talk with fellow members about Ceton's Media Center Extender.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
mldenison

HTPC Specs: Show details

Short audio drops

Post by mldenison » Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:45 am

On Live TV, my Echo drops audio for a second or two several times a minute. Sound and video is fine otherwise. My HTPC doesn't do this. I'm on the latest beta firmware.

Is there anything to look for before I open a ticket?

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:53 pm

The next time you experience short audio drops, log in to your router and have a look at how busy the router is. Specifically check the Wifi.

mldenison

Post by mldenison » Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:44 pm

I forgot to mention that I'm using MOCA, not wireless.

As an experiment, I swapped the problem Echo with my other Echo. Then I deleted both from WMC, and re-added both.

The problem is now gone. I'm thinking that the WMC deal made everything OK.

Go figure.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:18 am

mldenison wrote:I forgot to mention that I'm using MOCA, not wireless.

As an experiment, I swapped the problem Echo with my other Echo. Then I deleted both from WMC, and re-added both.

The problem is now gone. I'm thinking that the WMC deal made everything OK.

Go figure.
My suggestion still applies whether you are using MoCa LoCa or JoCa. You have a router don't ya?

mldenison

Post by mldenison » Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:56 am

I do, in fact, have a router. A Cisco LinkSys EA6500. There is nothing on the router's web page that indicates how 'busy' it is. Traffic statistics that is.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:08 am

mldenison wrote:I do, in fact, have a router. A Cisco LinkSys EA6500. There is nothing on the router's web page that indicates how 'busy' it is. Traffic statistics that is.
Well, you are half right with that statement. Traffic logs are disabled by default. You need to enable and configure them prior to being able to record and view them. http://support.linksys.com/en-us/support/routers/EA6500

Now back to my original suggestion. The next time you have audio dropouts, log in to your router and view the traffic stats of your wireless clients (my suspicion is wireless, but you can check wired as well). If the traffic monitor shows a high amount of wireless traffic, bump them off until you find the one that is causing your audio problems. Find out what they were running at the time they were bumped, then adjust your QOS settings so that both forms of network traffic do not collide.

mldenison

Post by mldenison » Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:25 am

I'll do that. Wireless is disabled since I have no wireless connectivity in the house.