Remote Access/Login to WMC PC from external networks

Talk about setting up your home network.
tzr916

HTPC Specs: Show details

Remote Access/Login to WMC PC from external networks

Post by tzr916 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:46 am

This is for monitoring WMC when I go on vacation, like when I need to change/cancel/verify/delete duplicate recordings, or reset my Ceton ETH6, or reboot the PC, etc. Not for watching video remotely... My WMC machine is running Windows 7 Pro 64bit. I have Comcast internet modem and a Cisco EA4500 (classic firmware non-cloud). I want these features-

1. Free (or very cheap).
2. Remote from anywhere.
3. See desktop, including full screen WMC.
4. Won't disrupt current login (like logging off local PC, or changing desktop resolution of local PC, or breaking audio/hdcp/hdmi handshake).
5. 100% reliable and easy to follow setup instructions.

epayson85

Post by epayson85 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:27 pm

I use Gbridge for this same exact scenario. The only thing it doesn't fit is it does log-off the current user, but not a full log off just switch user. It uses windows remote desktop, but uses a VPN so you can connect to it. It does have it's own desktop share that won't log the user off but I am almost positive a user on the other end has to accept it. I could be wrong though and you might be able to automate the acceptance. I don't see the issue with the switch user account though. Everything keeps running including all of your recordings.

http://www.gbridge.com/ All you need is a gmail account. I would create a new one though because gchat works with it and you don't want messages popping up from friends while watching tv.

smcmillan2

Post by smcmillan2 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:44 pm

VNC. I use TightVNC - http://www.tightvnc.com/

Shares the current desktop, no user switching/logging off/on. Doesn't do WMC in full screen (just shows black) but very workable in windowed mode for scheduling, etc.
Viewer on laptop/whatever does resize when I connect, but I've had no HDCP problems as yet. (My HTPC is attached to my TV via HDMI, TV is in standby when "off").

Teamviewer may be another option for you, I've not tried it on the HTPC so I don't know how it reacts with WMC in full screen. Eliminates having to work out the port-forwarding on your router, which I gather you are trying to avoid based on your #5 point. I use this for assisting relatives with their computer issues.

TheOsburnFamil

Post by TheOsburnFamil » Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:39 am

+1 on the tightvnc option. There's a setting that you can adjust so it wont auto resize the host resolution and instead scale in the clients viewer but I think you need the mirror driver installed for that. Also, if you don't know how to setup firewalls and router port forwarding then it might be a bit much.

Also meant to say that teamviewer does work with fullscreen exclusive wmc and it gets you away from the router setup but I don't personally use it because I already have another remote access solution.

Logmein free version is another one of those teamviewer like options that doesn't require router or firewall setup but I know first hand that wmc fun..screen exclusive is a no go and does bust video playback after a remoted session until after a reboot.
Matt O. ...tivo what? ...dish dvr--uh... huh? ...cable dvr fees--you're kidding, right?

volfan6415

Post by volfan6415 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:54 pm

There is no reason to install TightVNC or any other programs on your computer. If you are running windows 7 with either home premium or ultimate (which i assume you have to have one of those if you have media center) use the following steps.

1. Make sure there is at least one password protected account on the computer

2. Install the concurrent RDP hack - http://missingremote.com/guide/how-enab ... pack-1-rtm

3. Ensure that the password protected account is in the remote access group - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/maga ... 04238.aspx

4. Setup a static local ip address for you HTPC to direct the port forward to, there are several ways to do this. The easiest and most reliable in my opinion is to add a static reservation in the router based on the MAC address of your HTPC. The precise steps will depend on the router. If you can provide us with your router model number and windows version number I can provide more specific advice for your setup.

5. Add the necessary port forwards (port 3389) to your router, the exact procedure will vary depending on your router

6. If you don't already have a hostname, signup for one - a free one can be gotten from http://dyn.com/dns/

A note about dyn, the free account requires account login every 30 days, but this is painless to remember as they send you an email which you can click and follow to confirm account activity

And that's it you will now be able to access your HTPC from any windows computer running Windows XP or higher without having to install any additional software. Very handy when traveling.

tzr916 wrote:
1. Free (or very cheap).
2. Remote from anywhere.
3. See desktop, including full screen WMC.
4. Won't disrupt current login (like logging off local PC, or changing desktop resolution of local PC, or breaking audio/hdcp/hdmi handshake).
5. 100% reliable and easy to follow setup instructions.
1. - yep, unless you want to pay for a hostname
2. - yep all you have to have is a windows computer as a client
3. Allows access to desktop and full WMC, can't play video but can do all other management tasks
4. With the concurrent RDP patch the primary account stays logged in and functioning, in fact someone can be actively using the HTPC and they won't tell you have logged in
5. Windows RDP is baked into the OS, the only problems i have every had with this setup are ISP and dns hostname related.
Last edited by volfan6415 on Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.

volfan6415

Post by volfan6415 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:56 pm

smcmillan2 wrote:VNC. I use TightVNC - http://www.tightvnc.com/

Shares the current desktop, no user switching/logging off/on. Doesn't do WMC in full screen (just shows black) but very workable in windowed mode for scheduling, etc.
Viewer on laptop/whatever does resize when I connect, but I've had no HDCP problems as yet. (My HTPC is attached to my TV via HDMI, TV is in standby when "off").

Teamviewer may be another option for you, I've not tried it on the HTPC so I don't know how it reacts with WMC in full screen. Eliminates having to work out the port-forwarding on your router, which I gather you are trying to avoid based on your #5 point. I use this for assisting relatives with their computer issues.
I really don't understand why people are so scared of port forwarding. I would much rather open a backdoor on my router that only I know about, and that can only be discovered by some hacker specifically targeting my router than establish a tunnel with a national service that everybody knows about.

Not to mention it is no harder than changing the SSID or password on your router. Which everyone who owns a wireless router should know how to do.

tzr916

Post by tzr916 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:45 pm

I have tried a few remote programs like splashtop and vnc. I don't like them because of the reasons I already outlined. I would like to try using the built in windows option. I don't understand the hostname thing.

I can't figure out how to get a free option on this site?
What happens to the hostname if comcast changes my IP?
Do I really need a host name if I already know my IP?
6. If you don't already have a hostname, signup for one - a free one can be gotten from http://dyn.com/dns/

A note about dyn, the free account requires account login every 30 days, but this is painless to remember as they send you an email which you can click and follow to confirm account activity

volfan6415

Post by volfan6415 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:04 pm

No you don't need a host name. That is for pure convenience so you don't have to remember your IP address.

With a hostname you set up a program either on a computer on your home network or in the router itself(some routers have this function built into the router in my particular case I use A router flashed with DD WRT which has the function) to update the host name server with your IP address should Comcast change the address.

This way if Comcast changes your IP address while you're on vacation you can still access the home theater PC.

DigitechMediaTV

Post by DigitechMediaTV » Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:20 pm

Splashtop is what u need. We use for all our clients. For remote access and for streaming.

DigitechMediaTV

Post by DigitechMediaTV » Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:26 pm

Forgot to mention in regards to splashtop.....although does not do full window, set your wmc shortcut to run in windowed mode and resize to full screen and you'll never notice the difference.

volfan6415

Post by volfan6415 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:29 pm

DigitechMediaTV wrote:Forgot to mention in regards to splashtop.....although does not do full window, set your WMC shortcut to run in windowed mode and resize to full screen and you'll never notice the difference.
Or do what I described which will fill all of the op's needs.

tzr916

Post by tzr916 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:12 pm

Splashtop is what u need. We use for all our clients. For remote access and for streaming.
I used to use it and it frequently messes with htpc desktop resolution and audio causing hdmi/hdcp/audio problems. Not to mention no full screen WMC. Not to mention it is a cpu HOG. Don't care for it.

With a hostname you set up a program either on a computer on your home network or in the router itself(some routers have this function built into the router in my particular case I use A router flashed with DD with regard to which has the function) to update the host name server with your IP address should Comcast change the address.
What is the program?
How do I get free hostname from that site, all I see is monthly plans and 14 day free trials?

spanner

Post by spanner » Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:35 pm

I have been using team viewer, its free for personal use and I can fully access any of my computers from any other computer tablet or phone using Their free app. I also use it with friends and family to trouble shoot their computers. Almost no setup install and go.

volfan6415

Post by volfan6415 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:47 am

tzr916 wrote:
I used to use it and it frequently messes with HTPC desktop resolution and audio causing hdmi/hdcp/audio problems. Not to mention no full screen WMC. Not to mention it is a cpu HOG. Don't care for it.

With a hostname you set up a program either on a computer on your home network or in the router itself(some routers have this function built into the router in my particular case I use A router flashed with DD with regard to which has the function) to update the host name server with your IP address should Comcast change the address.
What is the program?
How do I get free hostname from that site, all I see is monthly plans and 14 day free trials?
Apparently they have made changes to there service and no longer have the free option.

http://www.noip.com/free

Is an alternative. They will provide the updated program if your router does not have the option.

smcmillan2

Post by smcmillan2 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:42 am

volfan6415 wrote:
smcmillan2 wrote:VNC. I use TightVNC - http://www.tightvnc.com/

I really don't understand why people are so scared of port forwarding. I would much rather open a backdoor on my router that only I know about, and that can only be discovered by some hacker specifically targeting my router than establish a tunnel with a national service that everybody knows about.

Not to mention it is no harder than changing the SSID or password on your router. Which everyone who owns a wireless router should know how to do.
I never said I had a problem with it, I assumed from the OP's #5 point that they didn't want to get into it. I personally have been running Linux variants on all my desktops/laptops for the past 10+ years and have no issue with forwarding ports, flashing router firmware, etc. I haven't bothered trying Teamviewer on my own HTPC as it requires WINE on the Linux clients and I much prefer the lower resource usage of vncviewer (but I know it does work in Linux as I use it regularly to assist relatives).
tzr916 wrote:5. 100% reliable and easy to follow setup instructions.
volfan6415 wrote: 1. Make sure there is at least one password protected account on the computer

2. Install the concurrent RDP hack - http://missingremote.com/guide/how-enab ... pack-1-rtm

3. Ensure that the password protected account is in the remote access group - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/maga ... 04238.aspx
Seems to me it would be easier to install Teamviewer on the HTPC/client than to work through all of the steps for other solutions, but again I assumed (yeah, I know) from the OP's #5 point that dealing with the router didn't qualify as "easy to follow".

volfan6415 brings up a very good point in that any of the solutions are widely known, and therefore open to hacking. Any of the options should be used with caution and the understanding that you are opening your system(s) to the world. I personally have not had any issues using Teamviewer with it's default configuration, and TightVNC allows you to change the port on which it runs as well as password protecting the connection (for starters).

nathagt

Post by nathagt » Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:43 am

+ 1 for the concurrent users hack. I was a little scared to install this but I'm so glad I did. It's like having a second PC. I can log in with my ipad or another desktop to check on backups, manage movie collection, recorded tv settings, router management, home automation, task manager, etc.

I use Chrome remote desktop ifI need to log on to my primary console session because it doesn't log off the user.

tzr916

Post by tzr916 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:37 am

I tried Chrome Remote Desktop. It works but doesn't allow full screen WMC but at least it lets me switch to window mode (unlike splashtop). This will work when nobody is home using WMC/Tv.

I got the concurrent user hack installed. Can I create a second admin login/account on the HTPC and login remotely to it without disturbing the main account?
The secondary account will have completely different profile/desktop/user files. How does that affect WMC? Will WMC look the same for both accounts? If I setup/change/delete recordings in the secondary account does that happen to the main account too?

volfan6415

Post by volfan6415 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:31 am

tzr916 wrote:I tried Chrome Remote Desktop. It works but doesn't allow full screen WMC but at least it lets me switch to window mode (unlike splashtop). This will work when nobody is home using WMC/Tv.

I got the concurrent user hack installed. Can I create a second admin login/account on the HTPC and login remotely to it without disturbing the main account?
The secondary account will have completely different profile/desktop/user files. How does that affect WMC? Will WMC look the same for both accounts? If I setup/change/delete recordings in the secondary account does that happen to the main account too?
This is exactly what I do.

As to the WMC in the secondary account.

Managing recording requests and series requests will operate exactly the same.

You will also be able to see the recorded tv folder just as with the main account to manage recordings that have already happened.

However, the physical libraries will be different do if you have movies or recordings stored outside of the default location you would need to add those to the second user as well in order to see them within WMC. They would of course be accessible via windows explorer in both accounts.