Can I configure WMC to use TotalMedia Theater to play video?

elee532

HTPC Specs: Show details

Can I configure WMC to use TotalMedia Theater to play video?

Post by elee532 » Sat Dec 28, 2013 7:39 pm

Is there a way to configure Windows Media Center in Windows 8 to use TotalMedia Theater to play DVD, Blu-Ray, and other video files? If so, how can I configure this? I also have the latest version of Media Browser installed if that helps any.

Thank you.

christoph86

Post by christoph86 » Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:03 pm

You can setup Mediabrowser through the MB classic configuration to use TMT as an external player. So when you play a video file through MB classic it will launch with TMT. Does TMT not have a plugin for Windows Media Center? I have Powerdvd, which puts a plugin in the extras tab of WMC.

elee532

Post by elee532 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:42 am

christoph86 wrote:You can setup Mediabrowser through the MB classic configuration to use TMT as an external player. So when you play a video file through MB classic it will launch with TMT.
Can you give me some direction on how to configure this?
christoph86 wrote:Does TMT not have a plugin for Windows Media Center?
It does. But that means I have to launch TMT first, and the browse to my movie. I want to be able to browse my movies using WMC, select a movie, and have it launch using TMT (or at least give me a choice of which player to use).

I appreciate any other thoughts. Thanks.

christoph86

Post by christoph86 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 3:07 pm

To setup TMT in Mediabrowser, open the Mediabrowser Configurator, then select the external players tab and click add. Here there is a drop down and TMT is in the list. Select which one you want and it should set it up correctly to launch. You can then select which files you would like TMT to be the default player for. For example, if you only want TMT to play MKV files, just select that. Select all the formats you want TMT to play. There is also a section where you can select for standard and 3d movies.

For me I mainly use PowerDVD to play my 3d movies, so I select my file types I want it to play and then select the two 3d options, leaving standard unchecked. In order for MB to know that the movie is 3d and to launch my external player, you have to have your file structure set up correctly, see here http://mediabrowser3.com/community/inde ... structure/

elee532

Post by elee532 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 4:42 pm

Thanks for the additional info Christoph86. Unfortunately, I'm still not having any luck. First... I've got the TMT6 trial that I am running. The MB Configuration only shows TMT5 and TMT5 WMC Add-on as options. I tried both. Where it asks for Player Path, I chose PlayerLoader.mcl it opens TMT, but the movie never loads. I also tried uMCEPlayer6.exe. Sometimes, it tries to load a web page and sometimes nothing happens.

Is this because I have TMT 6 instead of 5? Any other thoughts?

Thanks!

christoph86

Post by christoph86 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 4:53 pm

try pointing the path to utotalmediatheatre6.exe

elee532

Post by elee532 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:57 pm

I get the same issue when I try utotalmediatheatre6.exe as the path. A browser window opens in WMC with the message that "Navigation to the webpage was cancelled." And, there is a dialog box popped up on the desktop with "File Download - Security Warning, Do you want to run or save the file utotalmediatheatre6.exe." Choosing "Run" and choosing never to be prompted for files from ArcSoft makes no difference.

That said, I did get it working. Instead, in the MB Configurator, I chose "Generic" as the external player type, and selected the path ...\uMCEPlayer6.exe. Now, if I choose to play a move from Movie Browser, TMT launches with the Windows Media Center interface and plays the move. I've only tested with a few DVDs ripped to hard disk as VOB files. In each case now, it takes me right to the DVD menu. I'll have to load up some other video files types and see what happens.

Thanks for all your help christoph86!!