XBOX Music and Media Center - Any Hope For A License?

garak0410

HTPC Specs: Show details

XBOX Music and Media Center - Any Hope For A License?

Post by garak0410 » Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:40 pm

I've played my downloaded ZunePass music to my Windows Media Center Extender to my XBOX 360 for several years and LOVE it. I heard ZunePlayer is going away for good in a few months. What will become of our music? At this time, there is no license for XBOX Music downloaded music. Is there hope we may get one before the ZunePlayer goes away?

Thanks...

leroys1000

Post by leroys1000 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:09 pm

I see no reason that xbox music will go away because they are doing away with zune player.
Xbox music can be accessed through their website or the music tile,if you use windows 8.
Might check to see if you can use xbox music pass instead of zune pass.
http://www.xbox.com/en-US/Music

garak0410

Post by garak0410 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:18 pm

leroys1000 wrote:I see no reason that xbox music will go away because they are doing away with zune player.
Xbox music can be accessed through their website or the music tile,if you use windows 8.
Might check to see if you can use xbox music pass instead of zune pass.
http://www.xbox.com/en-US/Music
Sorry if I was confusing. At the moment, I can play ZunePass (DRM) Music through my Windows Media Center (and extender)...XBOX Music (DRM) cannot be played via Windows Media Center. I am hoping we get a license to do so through Media Center.

leroys1000

Post by leroys1000 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:44 pm

OK,I see.
I looked around and it seems that a lot of people have the same problem,but no real answer.
I don't even see that anyone tried to make a plugin for that.
Microsoft hasn't done a lot of work on media center for a while,so I wouldn't hold my breath on that one.
They are pretty much pushing functionality to metro on windows 8.
Would be nice if they pushed some of the seperate functionality in media center to metro,but remotes
don't work well with a lot of metro apps.
Had to get a touch pad/keyboard for that.
Anyway,good luck.
Might try another post at the xbox music forums for a feature request.

garak0410

Post by garak0410 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:09 pm

leroys1000 wrote:OK,I see.
I looked around and it seems that a lot of people have the same problem,but no real answer.
I don't even see that anyone tried to make a plugin for that.
Microsoft hasn't done a lot of work on media center for a while,so I wouldn't hold my breath on that one.
They are pretty much pushing functionality to metro on windows 8.
Would be nice if they pushed some of the seperate functionality in media center to metro,but remotes
don't work well with a lot of metro apps.
Had to get a touch pad/keyboard for that.
Anyway,good luck.
Might try another post at the xbox music forums for a feature request.
I just may need to just stream music I own…our family LOVES to watch our picture collection in a slideshow of music streaming with Media Center on the XBOX. Now that we have a very good wireless router, Media Center Extender on the XBOX works like a champ and we LOVE it.

garak0410

Post by garak0410 » Thu May 15, 2014 1:03 pm

Any news on getting Media Center to play XBOX DRM Music? I am sadly trying to transition out of Zune. :(

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Thu May 15, 2014 6:35 pm

I don't own a Zune. I know someone who owns one. He calls it his "iBrick". Are you guys saying that music you purchased on Zune will no longer be accessible anywhere? If so, I think a class action lawsuit is on the horizon.

curtis

Post by curtis » Mon May 26, 2014 10:32 pm

Music purchased from Zune/Xbox Music and downloaded does not have DRM. If you have realllllly old purchases that have DRM, you should re-download them from the service as DRM-free. Subscription music does but that is not owned of course and has rights that need to be refreshed so it is meant to be temporary. The subscription models are moving/have moved to streaming for the most part anyway.

As for new support in of DRM'd music in Windows Media Center, the answer is no, there is no hope and you shouldn't spend any more energy on thinking about it.

Media Center is in maintenance mode, not active development. No new features or capabilities are going to be added to it by Microsoft. Xbox Music development is fully on the backend service with the UI being Windows 8/Metro app, Phone, & web. It is also extremely unlikely any 3rd party will spend development time or energy on this, especially as they would likely run into issues with the DRM requiring licensing and other enablement from MS that cost money and time.