Fanning the Flames: Serving your ETH6 at just the right temp

Ask fellow members about Ceton's infiniTV tuners here.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
JohnJ9

HTPC Specs: Show details

Fanning the Flames: Serving your ETH6 at just the right temp

Post by JohnJ9 » Tue Dec 24, 2013 6:01 pm

It's not clear I'm going to keep my ETH6 unit, but I have been watching the temperature and trying to decide what is what. I've read some posts here, found that 70C is as high as you want to let it get, and I've seen temps on mine below 50C, but in reading whether you should stand it on its edge, leave it horizontal, put a fan on it, etc., I've got a couple questions.

For those who have rigged up a fan to blow on it, are you blowing the fan onto the unit standing vertically, blowing down on the unit, blowing at an angle across it, or just pushing air horizontally across the top of a horizontally-placed unit and pushing warm air way from the top? If your fan is anything other than vertical, are you concerned about it losing its bearings, so to speak?

What is the bottom end temperature for one of these devices under normal operation when all tuners are stopped? I'm getting ready to cook my prime rib, and went looking online for the proper times to get to the proper temperature, and thought it was a festive time to ask about cooking times for the ETH6 as well: as in limbo, how low can you go?

Bon appetit!

Jay

Post by Jay » Tue Dec 24, 2013 7:43 pm

I can't speak to the ETH6, but my InfiniTV4 PCIE runs about 37 degrees Celsius inside of my HTPC (2 cards, ATX Case). I have a small flexible arm fan blowing right over the chips at the back of the cards and keeps the tuners nice and cool. Mine are first generation chips, so I'm not sure if we are comparing apples to oranges, but I suspect non active tuners could get down to the high 20s / low 30s (if all tuners are inactive), again in the HTPC I can achieve that, inside that little black box....I dunno.

RyC

Post by RyC » Tue Dec 24, 2013 8:18 pm

I have the ETH 6 vertical, and fans blowing through vertically. Temps range from high 20's to high 30's.