ONE channel with no listings. Who do I contact?

echo14612

HTPC Specs: Show details

ONE channel with no listings. Who do I contact?

Post by echo14612 » Tue Dec 24, 2013 4:35 pm

Only last week I noticed that the Smithsonian Channel was no longer part of an extra pay tier so I was now able to receive the signal. I updated my channel listings only to find that there were two "SMTHHD" listings, each assigned to #131. The Guide had no shows in the listings, saying instead "No data available."

I checked the Zap2it listings and saw that it was reporting the schedule for Smithsonian Canada instead of the USA channel. I reported this to Zap2it and they corrected the error. Zap2it now has the correct info in its guide.

I setup my TV signal in Media Center again. "SMTHHD" was now listed THREE times for #131. All three channels show "No data available" in the grid.

Can anybody tell me how to get this corrected? Is there somebody at Microsoft I need to contact?

Thanks for any help!

bandook

Post by bandook » Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:28 pm

Not sure if you have yet, but I would re run TV setup in wmc.

echo14612

Post by echo14612 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 3:20 am

bandook wrote:Not sure if you have yet, but I would re run TV setup in WMC.
Thank you for your reply. As I said in my original post:
I setup my TV signal in Media Center again. "SMTHHD" was now listed THREE times for #131. All three channels show "No data available" in the grid.
Since I first posted, I've done the WMC signal setup on 3 different computers, several times, with the same result on each. The only exception is the one computer which is using a cable card for its TV signal. Why would the WMC listings for the cable boxes be wrong, but the cable card correct? And who would be responsible for correcting such an error?

spanner

Post by spanner » Sun Dec 29, 2013 4:15 pm

Not sure if this is your issue, but in the past when a correction was made with zap2it, it could take several days for the correction to show on WMC guide

bandook

Post by bandook » Sun Dec 29, 2013 4:18 pm

What I'm wondering is if you run TV setup again will you end up with 4 slots for channel 131, then 5,6 so on. It almost sounds like a bug in your setup. If it keeps accumulating that channel each time you run, what would happen if you select another zip code that is local but with your provider.

If that doesn't work maybe do a clean reset of wmc. Get rid of all the old data and reinstall.

echo14612

Post by echo14612 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:12 pm

spanner wrote:Not sure if this is your issue, but in the past when a correction was made with zap2it, it could take several days for the correction to show on WMC guide
I expected this to be so. In fact, the WMC guide for the cable card used to be wrong and became right a few days ago, several days after I reported the correction to Zap2it. My problem is with the guides for the 3 cable boxes.

echo14612

Post by echo14612 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:16 pm

bandook wrote:What I'm wondering is if you run TV setup again will you end up with 4 slots for channel 131, then 5,6 so on. It almost sounds like a bug in your setup. If it keeps accumulating that channel each time you run, what would happen if you select another zip code that is local but with your provider.

If that doesn't work maybe do a clean reset of WMC. Get rid of all the old data and reinstall.
Ha! That would be funny. No, with all three of my computer + cable box setups I got a third SMITHHD channel with no listings. I've done signal setup on all those machines several times and "all" I have are 3 SMITHHDs. A bug with my setup? Maybe, but why the same "bug" on three separate machines?

bandook

Post by bandook » Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:30 pm

echo14612 wrote: Ha! That would be funny. No, with all three of my computer + cable box setups I got a third SMITHHD channel with no listings. I've done signal setup on all those machines several times and "all" I have are 3 SMITHHDs. A bug with my setup? Maybe, but why the same "bug" on three separate machines?
Yeah I guess that doesn't make sense if 3 computers are doing the same thing.you have probably done all the troubleshooting I could think of, but just throw only other thing I can think of. Perhaps you could disable two of the listings for that channel in guide settings, and then update the guide.

Other than that I would wait a few more days to see if it fixes itself. Then if not get in touch with zap2it and see if it's something they can help you with. I really doubt Microsoft will offer any help. Well, good luck and Happy New Year!

dmagerl

Post by dmagerl » Sun Dec 29, 2013 6:09 pm

Have you tried Edit Channel and then Edit Listings?

The listings seem to be assigned to a channel by channel name and if the channel name is different from the listing the two dont get associated together. So the listing my be there, just not assigned to the channel and you'll have to do it manually.

echo14612

Post by echo14612 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:09 pm

dmagerl wrote:Have you tried Edit Channel and then Edit Listings?

The listings seem to be assigned to a channel by channel name and if the channel name is different from the listing the two dont get associated together. So the listing my be there, just not assigned to the channel and you'll have to do it manually.
I just came here to announce I had found the solution - and that solution was what you suggest here! Where were you a week ago? :P

I compared the "Edit Listing" data from my one guide that was correct with the data I had for the same channel on the other machines. The correct name for the channel was "SMITH". I changed the "SMTHHD" channel names with "SMITH" and everything miraculously became right.

The only question I'm left with now is: Why did all those scans I did come up with 3 separate channels with the wrong name?