Intel NUC system - Build log

A place to talk about GPUs/Motherboards/CPUs/Cases/Remotes, etc.
LuckyDay

HTPC Specs: Show details

Intel NUC system - Build log

Post by LuckyDay » Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:51 pm

Just ordered one of these, so thought people might be interested to hear how they are to work with and perform.

I won't be using it as a HTPC, but I'll test those functions as well.

Component list and more info incoming...

milli260876

Post by milli260876 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 4:42 pm

I like the look of these, pricey tho!
Lee

LuckyDay

Post by LuckyDay » Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:17 pm

I don't know why I can't edit my first post here, so here's some info on how things went, overall this is a really fun little machine. And not as pricey as you might think (I didn't get the newest Gen system).

Specs and cost breakdown (costs when I purchased):

$250 - Intel NUC DC3217IYE (i3, 2x HDMI, etc. I don't need Thunderbolt or USB 3.0 for this project so didn't buy that model)

$35 - SanDisk 64GB Cruzer Fit

$50 - 32GB mSata SSD

$24 - Centrino WiFi/Bluetooth mini PCIe card

I already had a wireless keyboard/trackpad that I will be replacing with a Bluetooth model at some point (to open up a USB port). I also grabbed some DDR3 from an unused laptop. I will probably buy some more, I think they're around $20-30 per DIMM.

Obviously with this form factor you have to get creative in using ports, specifically USB. I didn't need USB 3.0 as this will be primarily a retro gaming machine and only occasionally a media machine.

The only USB ports I need are on the back. I've got the 64GB Thumb Drive, which is so small you can't even see it when it's plugged into the back. The other one on the back will be used for a wireless gaming receiver to give it the ability to use 4 wireless XBox controllers. So I've got the front port for whatever I may need. It also has 2 internal USB ports, which I'm honestly not sure how to use or implement anywhere.

Unit with the mSata and WiFi card installed

Sound on the machine is fed through the HDMI. Obviously this is fine for a TV that has the input, but if you need to plug it into DVI you'll lose it. You could easily solve that issue by getting a Bluetooth wireless speaker. No USB plug required, the Bluetooth is in the system (they also make models with Bluetooth built in I believe).

This thing is small, here are a couple of size comparison pics

So far I've got plenty of gaming emulators as well as Media Browser 3 with GameBrowser III installed and everything is running smoothly. I'll get some benchmarks and videos of the performance later.

I'm pretty happy with it. It's basically a tiny Game Box (or very capable Media Center).