Way OT: Eating cats & dogs

Chat with other TGB members about whatever is on your mind.
barnabas1969

HTPC Specs: Show details

Way OT: Eating cats & dogs

Post by barnabas1969 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:06 am

I just saw a "news" clip about a woman who has been laid off from her job. The news clip is about the fact that Congress may not extend unemployment benefits.

Now, I feel for the woman... I don't know what I'd do if I lost my job. However, the woman they interviewed has several cats and dogs, and her plight was seemingly related to the fact that she may not be able to continue to feed her animals!

First world problems at their finest! If she was living in Vietnam, people would be willing to pay her for the meat from her pets!

Let's face it folks... if I had a choice of survival between me or my pets, I'm going to live... even if I have to eat them. I figure a medium sized dog would feed a few people for several days.

I know, it would be difficult to kill/cook/eat "fluffy"... but which is more important when it comes down to your life?

milli260876

Post by milli260876 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:30 pm

No replies?? I'd eat em... There u go [WINKING FACE]
Lee

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:11 pm

Nobody seems to understand dark humor.

But, really... it just irks me when people worry about their pets before they worry about themselves.

Don't get me wrong, I love cats and dogs (they taste like chicken). But, seriously... I've always taken very good care of my pets, and I have loved all of the pets I've had in my life. But if I was in a situation where I couldn't afford to feed them (or myself), I'd have to think about myself first. Of course, I would try to find them a home first. Not sure I would EVER take them to the county shelter (they'll just get killed there anyway).

If it came down to a situation where I was really desperate for food... yeah... I'd eat my pet. God put all the animals, fish, and birds here for our pleasure, after all.

DigiTechMedia

Post by DigiTechMedia » Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:10 am

I had a co-worker tell me of a relative of his whom was feeding her dogs with canned goods she was taking from the local food pantry. People will even feed their pets at the expense of the poor.

LuckyDay

Post by LuckyDay » Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:20 pm

Of course if you were in a situation where it was life and death and the difference between survival it would be an option.

The odds of it coming to that (in our country anyway) and having no alternatives are pretty slim, and none of the examples described have sounded like that's the case.

Personally, if my animals needed to eat to live and I couldn't afford to feed them (which is unlikely, considering a bag of food can be bought for practically what you could find on the ground in the form of change) I would just let them outside and catch their own food, which they would have no problem doing.

LuckyDay

Post by LuckyDay » Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:21 pm

Should also be stated that in a matter of extreme survival I'd probably eat any of you without thinking twice about it, so there's that.

blueiedgod

Post by blueiedgod » Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:48 pm

When I was in Korea I tried dog. It was the norm there. I tend to be "when in Rome, do as Romans"

Tried chocolate covered grasshopper and raw deer (I call it deer shashimi) in Japan.

Ate rabbit in Russia, which may have been a cat. Once they are skinned, it is hard to tell.

Alligator in Florida.

Buffalo in Canada.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:09 pm

Chocolate covered grasshopper is actually pretty good! I'm not a big fan of deer meat. Alligator tastes like dark meat chicken... just a little stronger taste. Lots of people eat rabbit, but I don't think I've ever tried it. However, when I was a kid, we had some rabbits in a cage outside. I never knew why. One day, they all disappeared. Maybe we ate them for dinner and I didn't know it.

milli260876

Post by milli260876 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:45 am

If next doors cat meows outside my house one more time at night i might see how much it tastes like rabbit!!! [ASTONISHED FACE]
Lee

IownFIVEechos

Post by IownFIVEechos » Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:22 pm

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:07 am

Donkey, fox... what's the difference? It all tastes like chicken.