Video Stuttering on certain channels and Playback

blupie

HTPC Specs: Show details

Video Stuttering on certain channels and Playback

Post by blupie » Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:26 pm

I built a HTPC/Gaming computer several months ago and have not been able to solve the Stuttering on certain Comcast channels especially the HBO's with Comcast.
I followed the Assassin's Guide and using windows 7 Media center with Lav codec.
These are the hardware specs on my HTPC:
Intel i7 4770k processor

GPU -GTX 780

Corsair Carbide Series Air 540 High Airflow ATX Cube Case CC-9011030-WW - Black

2 Samsung Electronics 840 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5-Inch SATA III Single Unit Version Internal Solid State Drive MZ-7TE250BW in Raid 0 config

Asus Z87 PRO LGA 1150 Motherboard

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-1600C9Q-32GXM

Swiftech H220 Quiet Power PLUG-AND-PLAY Liquid Cooling System 4 Pin 2x 120mm Fans 3/8 Fitting, Water block for GTX780.

Windows 7 Pro with WMC.

Ceton InfinTV 6 PCIe cable tuner

Samsung 50" Led TV

2 WD black 4GB Hard drives

With reference to the stuttering on live TV, on the channels that do stutter I have confirmed the 29/59 bug by using the 411 control+D . Has anyone found a way to fix this issue?

As for the playback. I have used another computer with Make Mkv to convert my Blu-Ray Collection to MKV format. On this same computer I am able to playback using Media player classic Home Cinema on a regular computer Lcd monitor with no Stuttering. So the MKV files are fine.
When I play these same files on the HTPC/Gaming computer I do see stuttering on all converted Blu-Ray movies.
I assume it must be a wrong setting in Lav ??
Does anyone have any ideas on how I can fix this??

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:33 pm

Why are you using Lav codec? My first piece of advice is to uninstall it. You don't need codec packs to play MKV files in Media Center. Search for the "minimalists guide" to playing MKV's in Media Center.

As for the 29/59 issue, I don't know if the GTX-780 will work with 29/59 content. Have you checked the list of known-working GPU's? You can find it on the experts.windows.com wiki, and I think it's here on this site's wiki too. Both wiki's are related to the 29/59 issue.

Try disabling dynamic contrast in the nVidia control panel to see if the problem goes away. Also, the "latest" driver is not necessarily the best driver to use. Sometimes, the newer drivers will introduce a problem with 29/59 content. Search around for posts by a user named newfiend (that's "fiend", as in fiendish, not "friend" as in friendly). He routinely tests the new drivers and reports problems if found. Use his latest recommended driver version.

blupie

Post by blupie » Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:45 pm

barnabas1969 wrote:Why are you using Lav codec? My first piece of advice is to uninstall it. You don't need codec packs to play MKV files in Media Center. Search for the ".minimalists guide" to playing MKV's in Media Center

As for the 29/59 issue, I don't know if the GTX-780 will work with 29/59 content. Have you checked the list of known-working GPU's? You can find it on the experts.windows.com wiki, and I think it's here on this site's wiki too. Both wiki's are related to the 29/59 issue.

Try disabling dynamic contrast in the nVidia control panel to see if the problem goes away. Also, the "latest" driver is not necessarily the best driver to use. Sometimes, the newer drivers will introduce a problem with 29/59 content. Search around for posts by a user named newfiend (that's "fiend", as in fiendish, not "friend" as in friendly). He routinely tests the new drivers and reports problems if found. Use his latest recommended driver version.

Wow, thanks barnabas1969 for your quick response. Wish I would have posted a while ago. The reason I used Lav codec was that I followed the Assassins Guide and I did not have much experience with HTPC builds. I have tried to keep the number Of codecs down to minimum because I have read that it was best. I have MceBuddy installed and I did install a few other codecs.
I will take a look at minimalists guide" to playing MKV's in Media Center and the list of known working GPU as soon as I get home and post back. Thanks for all the great info. Will look at it and hope I can fix these issues. My family watched me do this build and have been waiting for me to get it working properly. My reputation is on the line.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:15 pm

Codec packs are dangerous for people who don't know exactly what they are doing... especially if they try to install more than one codec pack, or try to tweak the settings in the codec packs without knowing exactly what they are doing.

It is possible, with codec packs, to mess up the PC to the point where the only way to fix it is to reinstall Windows, or to restore from a system image backup that was created before you installed any codec packs.

The user on this site who knows the most about codec packs is Shark007. He actually has created his own codec pack that is very popular. However, if you have installed more than one codec pack, even he may not be able to help you get back to a working system without a reinstall of Windows or a restore from a system image. He doesn't post here very often though.

Did you make a system image backup before you started installing codec packs? If so, then a restore might be the easiest thing to do.

MceBuddy isn't a codec pack. It's software that can be used to transcode files or do container swaps, and can also permanently cut commercials out of files. What other codec packs did you install?

Even if your GTX-780 isn't on the list, it may still work. Try turning off dynamic contrast first. Then, if that doesn't work, do a "clean install" of a version of the nVidia drivers that has been recommended by newfiend.

Don't get to stressed out about the family. You're much better off if you get it working correctly BEFORE you connect it to the TV in the main viewing room of your house. You want to get it working well first, then you can put it in "production" (meaning that the family has access to it). They won't have much patience for you to fiddle with it after it goes into production... because every time you mess with it, you'll be interrupting their recordings and/or viewing. Trust me on this one... take your time, and make sure you get it right before you give it to the family. You will thank me later.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:39 pm

Here's a link to the "MKV's for minimalists" thing:
http://www.hack7mc.com/2009/02/mkvs-for ... ows-7.html

Keep in mind though, that FFDShow is a codec pack (step #1). You don't really need it for playing MKV's in Media Center, so you can skip that step.

You do, however, need a splitter, which is what is shown in step #2. This is different from a codec pack.

Before you go down this path, you need to get your PC cleaned up and back to where you were before you installed any codec packs.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:41 pm

Here's a link to the 29/59 wiki:
http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/wiki/index ... Rate_Issue

It's also here:
http://experts.windows.com/w/experts_wiki/71.aspx

Your video card isn't listed, but that doesn't necessarily mean that it won't work.

blupie

Post by blupie » Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:48 pm

barnabas1969 wrote:Codec packs are dangerous for people who don't know exactly what they are doing... especially if they try to install more than one codec pack, or try to tweak the settings in the codec packs without knowing exactly what they are doing.

It is possible, with codec packs, to mess up the PC to the point where the only way to fix it is to reinstall Windows, or to restore from a system image backup that was created before you installed any codec packs.

The user on this site who knows the most about codec packs is Shark007. He actually has created his own codec pack that is very popular. However, if you have installed more than one codec pack, even he may not be able to help you get back to a working system without a reinstall of Windows or a restore from a system image. He doesn't post here very often though.

Did you make a system image backup before you started installing codec packs? If so, then a restore might be the easiest thing to do.

MceBuddy isn't a codec pack. It's software that can be used to transcode files or do container swaps, and can also permanently cut commercials out of files. What other codec packs did you install?

Even if your GTX-780 isn't on the list, it may still work. Try turning off dynamic contrast first. Then, if that doesn't work, do a "clean install" of a version of the nVidia drivers that has been recommended by newfiend.

Don't get to stressed out about the family. You're much better off if you get it working correctly BEFORE you connect it to the TV in the main viewing room of your house. You want to get it working well first, then you can put it in "production" (meaning that the family has access to it). They won't have much patience for you to fiddle with it after it goes into production... because every time you mess with it, you'll be interrupting their recordings and/or viewing. Trust me on this one... take your time, and make sure you get it right before you give it to the family. You will thank me later.
Great advise Barnabas1969. I will go slowly on this in the hopes I can fix it. I do have a system backup incase I cannot. I did look at the minimalist guide to play MKV files in windows 7 . Looks good although it was written in 2009.
I am finally home and will take a look what I have installed n this HTPC
ffdsshow X64--Audio Decoder Configuration, VFW Configuration x64, Video Decoder Configuration x64
Haali Media Splitter--GDSMux, Media Splitter Settings
Lav Filters--Lav Audio configurator, Lav Splitter config., Lav video Config.

So all I have installed is ffDshow, Haali Media Splitter, and Lav filters installed. Hope this is salvageable. Sorry posted this before I saw your previous post. I will look at the 2 links you have Provided. The video card that I have used, The GTX 680 is relatively new GPU, hope I can find a fix.
Last edited by blupie on Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:49 pm

As far as I can tell, newfiend's latest recommendation was to use nVidia drivers version 314.22, which can be downloaded here (64 bit):
http://www.nvidia.com/content/DriverDow ... pe=GeForce

or here (32 bit):
http://www.nvidia.com/content/DriverDow ... pe=GeForce

Make sure to choose "custom" installation, and then to check the box that says "clean install".

Then, follow the instructions in the post linked below (post #4) for all the settings that you need to change for best performance:
http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... 588#p21588

EDIT: I disagree with newfiend in that post when he says to set the Dynamic Range to full. This depends on the calibration of your TV, which will usually be calibrated for "Limited - 16-235". Also, most TV content is filmed with a limited dynamic range. You will rarely find full range on a BluRay movie, but most are limited too. So, I believe it is best to leave it set to limited.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:58 pm

blupie wrote:ffdsshow X64--Audio Decoder Configuration, VFW Configuration x64, Video Decoder Configuration x64
Haali Media Splitter--GDSMux, Media Splitter Settings
Lav Filters--Lav Audio configurator, Lav Splitter config., Lav video Config.

So all I have installed is ffDshow, Haali Media Splitter, and Lav filters installed. Hope this is salvageable. Sorry posted this before I saw your previous post. I will look at the 2 links you have Provided. The video card that I have used, The GTX 680 is relatively new GPU, hope I can find a fix.
Well, your codecs may not be the problem, if you followed Assassin's instructions correctly. Before you change the codec installation (meaning, don't follow the minimalist's guide yet), try the drivers that I listed, and set the settings according to newfiend's instructions.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:08 pm

I just went back and looked at your PC specs. I see that you have two SSD's in a RAID. The last time I checked (about 6 months ago) neither Intel nor AMD supported TRIM in a RAID. This has nothing to do with your stuttering problem, but I thought I should mention it. If TRIM is still not supported in RAID, then it means that you will need to periodically do a manual trim on the drives.

EDIT: Never mind. As long as you are using Intel Rapid Storage Technology (RST) drivers, version 11.0 or higher, and a 7-series or later chipset, you're OK. You have 8-series chipset... so just make sure that your RST drivers are 11.0 or later.

blupie

Post by blupie » Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:02 pm

barnabas1969 wrote:I just went back and looked at your PC specs. I see that you have two SSD's in a RAID. The last time I checked (about 6 months ago) neither Intel nor AMD supported TRIM in a RAID. This has nothing to do with your stuttering problem, but I thought I should mention it. If TRIM is still not supported in RAID, then it means that you will need to periodically do a manual trim on the drives.

EDIT: Never mind. As long as you are using Intel Rapid Storage Technology (RST) drivers, version 11.0 or higher, and a 7-series or later chipset, you're OK. You have 8-series chipset... so just make sure that your RST drivers are 11.0 or later.
Wow, thanks for the help. You are correct, I do have trim because of the IRST drivers. I am amazed at how fast you find the info. Luckily , by not knowing much , I did not install any codecs.
I checked in the Nvidia Control panel under adjust video color settings, advanced, dynamic contrast enhancement is not selected.

I downloaded the Graphics driver that you have provided Nvidea v 314.22 . when I right click run as admin and try to install I get this Nvidia installer cannot continue. The graphics driver could not find compatible graphics hardware. I tried using the Nvidia Geforce experience proggy to install the driver but it will only download and install the latest driver.

blupie

Post by blupie » Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:05 pm

Here is an update. I was able to install the Nvidea v 314.22 driver by making a few mods to it. Credit goes to Cyberdyne over at Guru3D. If anyone is interested there is a how to by Cyberdyne on how to accomplish this.

Unfortunately, I am still getting some stuttering when playing back my Blu-Ray movies , in MKV format. I am thinking maybe it is an incorrect setting somewhere.
as for the 29/59 bug it looks like I still am getting stuttering on the HBO's and other channels that I have confirmed the 29/59 switch.

Any ideas on what else I could do or settings I need to check to see if I can fix this??

Thanks for the help.

Shark007

Post by Shark007 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:28 pm

blupie wrote:Any ideas on what else I could do or settings I need to check to see if I can fix this??

Thanks for the help.
To eliminate codecs and their settings as a possible issue why dont you give my codec releases a try? Uninstall FFDshow, matroska splitter (Haali) and the LAV filters. On my Setup and Usage page, you'll find links to download current releases (and a lot of other important information). Most likely, all you'll need is the STANDARD release(s). On 64bit Operating Systems, you need to make 2 installations. 1st, the 32bit codecs and then the matching x64Components addon. Once installed, the Shark007 GUI opens and resets the codecs (and your system) to installations defaults. At this point, you should select the [x] SUGGESTED settings checkbox. Usually this is all most user need to configure. If you use audio over HDMI to an AVR, make that selection on the Audio TAB of both GUIs.
Retain your sanity, use Shark007 Codecs

blupie

Post by blupie » Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:12 am

Shark007 wrote:
blupie wrote:Any ideas on what else I could do or settings I need to check to see if I can fix this??

Thanks for the help.
To eliminate codecs and their settings as a possible issue why dont you give my codec releases a try? Uninstall FFDshow, matroska splitter (Haali) and the LAV filters. On my Setup and Usage page, you'll find links to download current releases (and a lot of other important information). Most likely, all you'll need is the STANDARD release(s). On 64bit Operating Systems, you need to make 2 installations. 1st, the 32bit codecs and then the matching x64Components addon. Once installed, the Shark007 GUI opens and resets the codecs (and your system) to installations defaults. At this point, you should select the [x] SUGGESTED settings checkbox. Usually this is all most user need to configure. If you use audio over HDMI to an AVR, make that selection on the Audio TAB of both GUIs.
Thank you very much Shark007 for your help. It has been several months that I have been trying to solve these issues to no avail. I will give your codec a try and post back results.

Shark007

Post by Shark007 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:20 am

blupie wrote:On this same computer I am able to playback using Media player classic Home Cinema
To follow up with you on this player...
On my Tools page I release current svn releases of pre-configured players that will use the settings in my GUI for playback.
be sure to uninstall your current player before using the player from my tools page.

blupie

Post by blupie » Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:31 pm

Shark007 wrote:
blupie wrote:On this same computer I am able to playback using Media player classic Home Cinema
To follow up with you on this player...
On my Tools page I release current svn releases of pre-configured players that will use the settings in my GUI for playback.
be sure to uninstall your current player before using the player from my tools page.

OK , thanks for the heads up Shark007. On the HTPC I only have Windows media player installed. On my other computer, the one I was using to verify that the converted MKV files were working properly. I have been reading your website to make sure I know exactly what I need to know before giving it a go. Hopefully I will give it a try tonight. Thanks You.

blupie

Post by blupie » Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:59 am

I Uninstalled FFDshow, matroska splitter (Haali) and the LAV filters. I then followed the Shark007 setup and usage page and had no issues installing everything. I did install the Advanced release since I do have MKV files with multiple audio tracks. I selected the Suggested settings box on both the 32 and 64 bit.

Unfortunately, for some reason I am still getting the video stuttering on MKV playback using WMC and Windows Media Player. The best way to describe it is as if the video is missing a few frames approximately every 10 seconds. Very similar when watching HBO's with the 29/59 bug except not every 10 seconds. On the channels where the frame rate is 59 I have no issues. works well.

Just a note. I am running a HDMI cable from the HTPC to a AVR(Yamaha RX-A1000) to a Samsung 54" Led TV.

I don't know if you have any ideas on different settings I could try or anything else to solve this issue . I realize the problem I am having on live tv with the 29/59 bug I may never fix, however I am hoping I can get the MKV playback working without stuttering. I am using another computer to convert my Blu-ray collection to MKV using Make MKV.

Any Ideas on where to go from here would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for all the help.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:34 am

I'm happy that Shark007 commented here. He can definitely help you with codecs.

But you may still need to start over at the beginning. You SHOULD be able to get the 29/59 channels to work, AND your MKV files should work too.

blupie

Post by blupie » Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:40 am

barnabas1969 wrote:I'm happy that Shark007 commented here. He can definitely help you with codecs.

But you may still need to start over at the beginning. You SHOULD be able to get the 29/59 channels to work, AND your MKV files should work too.
Thanks barnabas1969 for your response. I guess that will be my last option. I went ahead and played the same MKV file on a laptop using MPC-HC and it plays fine, no stuttering. I also played it on another desktop with a LCD monitor and it also plays fine with PotPlayer. I think I can rule out bad MKV file.

Shark007

Post by Shark007 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:39 am

It is my opinion that you have now ruled out codecs as the issue.
Most likely your issue is related to the refresh rate settings of your viewing hardware.