Ceton InfiniTV 4 USB not detected issue

Ask fellow members about Ceton's infiniTV tuners here.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
JRitza

HTPC Specs: Show details

Ceton InfiniTV 4 USB not detected issue

Post by JRitza » Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:44 pm

I'm losing my mind here.

Using Ceton InfiniTV4 USB. Has worked in the past, even with the antivirus I use. All cables still connected. Cablecard snug into the device. Has been detected by Windows Media Center before and recorded shows based on a schedule. My home network gets a lot of abuse, due to my delusional brother believing he is a network professional. Despite that, the TV tuner has worked during instances in which our network resets and configurations poked.

One day, it just stopped working. I gave me "subscription" errors, TV signal errors, and tuner not detected errors. When ever I got any of those three errors, I usually just reinstall and resetting settings brought it back...but now this isn't working anymore. It hasn't worked in six months now. The tuner does have a stable blue light but it won't be detected by Ceton Diagnostics OR Windows Media Center.

I have tried the following (not in order):
  • I've watched Ceton's help videos on how to properly install the device. All is in order.
  • It can't be my antivirus as the tuner has worked with it no problem in the past. (and just to be sure, I deactivated the antivirus and did a rediscovery on ceton diagnostics but still it doesn't work)
  • I upgraded my computer to Windows 7 Professional just the other day. I did a complete HD wipe. (I keep my files on a backup hard drive installed so this was no problem) No settings were kept. Upon re-installation of Windows I updated all drivers and only installed programs I know won't interfere. (drivers, media players, firefox, skype)
  • For the new installation I had first installed the Ceton drivers then did a shutdown. Plugged in the Ceton. Waited for it to power up and stablize the blue light, then turned on PC. Windows detected the Ceton and installed something when it logged in, aware of it being connected via USB. Ceton Diagnostics and WMC still doesn't detect the tuner, though.
  • Installed latest Ceton driver version and did a network setting reset. Restarted PC. (still no detection)
Desktop
CPU: AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 840 Processor (4 CPUs), ~3.2GHz
VIDEO: AMD Radeon HD 5770 1GB (fully updated drivers)
RAM: 16384MB RAM
DIRECTX: DirectX 11

ANTIVIRUS: Avast! Antivirus
ANTIVIRUS VERSION: 2014.9.0.2008 (fully updated)

TV PROVIDER: Verizon
TUNER: Ceton InfiniTV USB
DRIVER VERSION: 13.6.3.1088
InfiniTV USB DRIVER VERSION: 13.02.22.0966

*wired internet connection
I have no idea what could be the problem...I know I should send in a ticket but before I do so I want to hear the opinion of the people in this forum. I feel it is faster and more hands-on than sending a ticket and slowly exchanging email with Ceton support.

machausta

Post by machausta » Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:42 pm

Just to be sure, from Ceton's instructions:

"Notes: i. In order to receive cable TV video streams, certain network ports must be setup correctly for UDP and TCP Internet Protocols.
Microsoft’s Windows Firewall sets these up automatically. If you use a third party firewall or antivirus program like Norton or McAfee,
these programs may prevent the InfiniTV 4 from receiving digital cable TV video data correctly on your PC. You may need to disable these
programs in order to receive digital cable TV. You can also manually set up the network ports from the following information:
Non-Windows firewall users need to open the following ports;
Name UDP/TCP Port Range In/Out
RTP UDP 5001-5016 IN
SSDP UDP 1900 IN/OUT
RTSP TCP 554 OUT
UPnP TCP 2869 IN/OUT
WMDRM UDP 5757-5772 OUT

ii. If your PC is on a local area network which uses a Proxy Server, this server may prevent the InfiniTV 4 from receiving digital
cable TV data. Please contact your Proxy Server support person to setup the Proxy Server to allow the InfiniTV 4 to receive digital cable
TV video data.
iii. MoCA adapter users may require a low pass filter to prevent interference with TV reception on some channels. FIOS
customers should request a low pass filter at the time of installation.
"

...and when you ran the digital cable advisor, what happened?

Beerman

Post by Beerman » Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:43 pm

I have an 6 tuner ETH in one system and a PCI 4 in another system and they can be running great for weeks then all of a sudden, I start getting errors such as 'no tuner' or subscription messages for no reason. I often wonder if it's TA related and the cable company is the cause. Usually they go away after a reboot or just after a short while. There is no rhyme or reason with me.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:30 pm

I've had these kind of problems with a Ceton PCIe tuner. The problem was that the metal bracket on the tuner was bent a little, and it would lift up out of the PCIe slot. Make sure yours is seated all the way into the PCIe slot... you may have to bend the metal bracket a little (with the power supply unplugged from the wall).

Not sure what to tell you on the USB tuner. Try a different USB port. I think I remember something about avoiding USB 3.0 ports too.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:31 pm

Oh, also... even though you think the AV software isn't the problem, uninstall it (uninstall, not disable). Ceton will tell you to do this anyway.

JohnW248

Post by JohnW248 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:13 pm

The default IP address are 192.168.200.1 for PCIe and 192.168.180.1 for USB. Also go to the network and sharing center and open change adapter settings where you should also see either or both a PCIe and USB Ceton tuner.

If none of that works, with your volume up, do you get an alter when you plug in the usb cable? You don't need a cable inserted for that test and also you should see the led on the back of the tuner when it's plugged in. If none of that, check the power supply.

Also just because a device "worked" with your avs once doesn't mean it'll work now since those avs guys update their programs. If you can get an alert when you plug in the usb cable, then re-install the Ceton software which will make sure the right ports are open.

If you can hear the usb alter, I'd start by uninstalling the avs software and work forward. If you can get the tuner installed with it out, then you can re-install the avs software and see if it breaks it. If so you'll have found your answer.

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:31 am

Does it show up in Device Manager? If not, open a support ticket with us.
Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation

JRitza

Post by JRitza » Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:26 pm

Just uninstalled Avast, restarted, and it still doesn't work. I don't know about that opening port stuff and I couldn't do it anyway since my brother doesn't share the server password and whatnot with the rest of the people in our house. :crazy:

(this may painfully stretch the page but this forum strangely doesn't have spoiler tags)

Image Image

Image Image

Shackleford

Post by Shackleford » Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:30 pm

I've ran into some issues with the USB version and some software blocking communication. I installed the gigabyte motherboard software to monitor voltage, fan speed etc. and the tuner was unusable until it was removed. I think there were some others that caused problems as well. Most of the time I could get it back by unplugging the power to the infinitv.

JRitza

Post by JRitza » Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:04 pm

Shackleford wrote:I've ran into some issues with the USB version and some software blocking communication. I installed the gigabyte motherboard software to monitor voltage, fan speed etc. and the tuner was unusable until it was removed. I think there were some others that caused problems as well. Most of the time I could get it back by unplugging the power to the infinitv.
Really? I am using a Gigabyte motherboard. Never thought that would interfere with anything.

JohnW248

Post by JohnW248 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:47 pm

Two other things to check, try a different USB cable (had a bad one on a tuner once and it didn't detect) and do a complete uninstall of the ceton software package and re-install it with the windows FW on. You don't need you brother's password for ports since the ports that need to be open are on the windows machine not the server. Also did you check in network and sharing and then change adapter settings to see if there is a Ceton network adapter listed? That's how the software sees the tuner as a network device (either the PCIe or the USB) and there should be an adapter there. If not something is blocking the install program. Make sure you're running it as an administrator (right click on the exe and choose run as adaministrator) to eliminate other issues.

JRitza

Post by JRitza » Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:43 am

JohnW248 wrote:Two other things to check, try a different USB cable (had a bad one on a tuner once and it didn't detect) and do a complete uninstall of the ceton software package and re-install it with the windows FW on. You don't need you brother's password for ports since the ports that need to be open are on the windows machine not the server. Also did you check in network and sharing and then change adapter settings to see if there is a Ceton network adapter listed? That's how the software sees the tuner as a network device (either the PCIe or the USB) and there should be an adapter there. If not something is blocking the install program. Make sure you're running it as an administrator (right click on the exe and choose run as adaministrator) to eliminate other issues.
I've been running everything in admin. Just reinstalled Diagnostics with Windows Firewall off. Still no detection. The tuner does show up in adapters. I don't know what to exactly to show as I don't know much of anything about networking stuff.

Dkeyguy1

Post by Dkeyguy1 » Thu Dec 26, 2013 3:22 pm

The only thing I've ever been able to run without problems, for antivirus, is Microsoft Security Essentials.
And I see that it says Ceton InfiniTV USB Network Device #3, That says it has been, fully installed, three times.
Sounds like AV or firewall stuff.......

JRitza

Post by JRitza » Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:03 am

Solved.

I tried something I probably should have a long time ago. Turns out I just needed to bridge connection of the Ceton my computer's network adapter in Network and Sharing Center. Works now.