Streaming to DLNA media player

Troubleshoot and discuss the XBOX 360, XBOX One, Linksys, and other extenders.
petatko

HTPC Specs: Show details

Streaming to DLNA media player

Post by petatko » Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:59 pm

Hi, I'm relatively new to 7MC and TGB. I've set up WMC on Win7, added Hauppauge card for ATSC broadcasts. Works great on one TV, but I was wondering what are my options of streaming previously recorded video to another TV. I have DLNA compliant media player (Popcorn Hour NMT) and would like to know if WMC can act as a DLNA server. If I search for data sources on the popcorn, i can't see WMC. I also have playon running on the same Win7 PC, and that one is showing up in popcorn. I wonder if it interferes with WMC. I know I could get Xbox and have it act as extender, but wanted to know if there are any alternatives. My next question (if popcorn won't cut it) would be if I can set up thin client (acer revo or something similar) with Win7 and WMC on it, and have it access my recordings from my HTPC box (with hauppauge card) over the network. I wonder if I would be able to see all my shows in Recorded TV nicely with all the recording info, as I see it on my main HTPC box, or would it appear as list of files only.

Appreciate your help.

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:22 pm

Well.

Your best bet is to use an XBox as a Media Center extender. It perfectly replicates the entire MC experience and interface, including live TV.

If you are absolutely hell-bent on using something like Popcorn Hour, what you'll want to do is set up an automated system whereby all of your recordings get turned into something generic, like MP4, so that both MC and a different media viewer can see them. You won't get the MC experience or live TV on your remote unit, and I don't know how categorizing and displaying shows works that way.

You can set up a thin client MC box and watch the non-DRM shows that are in your Recorded TV directory as long as you share that to the network. No live TV, though.

Having an XBox as a MC extender is a thing of beauty. It's just like being at the main MC computer--see the same things, see live TV, delete recordings, schedule recordings...

XBox costs $200. How much for a thin client, and what else would you want to do with it that makes it a better choice than XBox?

mark1234

Post by mark1234 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:09 am

I use a 360, not a DLNA player so I'm not sure... But I thought one of the wizzy new features in Win7 was that it would transcode files on the fly to a format that the attached DLNA player could support. So there would be no need for the automatic pre-conversion to mp4 step that you mention. It won't work with any DRM infected files or live TV still, only a proper Media Centre extender (ie, a 360) can handle those. You would also need to have sufficient CPU grunt in your PC to do on the fly conversion at an acceptable quality.

I see the OP is looking for WMC in his Popcorn device, just so you know it's not WMC that acts as a DLNA server, it's Windows Media Player. So you need to make sure it is configured appropriately and then look for that, not WMC.

I don't imagine for a second you'll get any of the metadata over DLNA.
Windows Media Centre - Abandoned by Microsoft

tony_park

Post by tony_park » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:13 am

Hi,

take a look here, this should give you access to your tuners, so with that and sharing recordings from your htpc/server, this should then cover most bases.

The only thing it won't cover, is the same functionality as an extender, ie, watching a recording in one room. stop playback, and then pick up in another...