Two WMC remote control queries

rbel

HTPC Specs: Show details

Two WMC remote control queries

Post by rbel » Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:09 pm

Query 1
I have an HTPC running a TBS 6981 satellite card controlled by a Hama/Gmyle MCE remote and using WMC. I am thinking of adding a Freeview TBS 6280 card to provide greater flexibility.

How would I setup WMC so that a single remote would control both the satellite and Freeview recording/viewing?

Query2
I have a 'One For All' URC 7960 universal remote - is there an idiot's guide to getting it to recognise my WMC/TBS setup?

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:59 pm

After you add the 6280 card, just run TV Setup in the Media Center "Settings" menu. It should detect that you have both DVB-S and DVB-T tuners. The channels for each will be added to the guide. No need to do anything special with your remote control.

CyberSimian

Post by CyberSimian » Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:44 am

rbel wrote:I have an HTPC controlled by a Hama/Gmyle MCE remote and using WMC.
I have a 'One For All' URC 7960 universal remote - is there an idiot's guide to getting it to recognise my WMC setup?
The Hama remote and the Gmyle remote are both rebadged versions of the Ortek remote. The Ortek uses an infra-red signalling scheme that is different from that used by standard Microsoft RC6 remotes. You can setup your One-for-All 7960 to send Microsoft RC6 signals (the setup code is 1272), but the Hama/Gmyle/Ortek infra-red receiver will not respond to them. As far as I know, the 7960 does not have the Ortek signalling scheme built-in.

The simplest solution is to buy an infra-red receiver that accepts standard Microsoft RC6 signals. You might be able to get one on Ebay. Otherwise, you probably need to buy a remote + receiver combination -- one that uses Microsoft RC6 signals; then either use that remote, or use the 7960 (whichever you prefer).

A more-complicated solution is to reprogram the 7960 with the Ortek signalling scheme. I believe that this is possible, but you need to buy a special cable to connect the 7960 to your computer, and then use some special software to program the 7960. The 7960 is a "JP1 remote", but there are several versions (JP1/1.1/1.2/1.3/2). On balance, this is probably too complicated to recommend.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:19 pm

Or just learn all the commands from the Hama remote. There might also be a way to do it with advanced codes. I'll have to check. These remotes do have the Ortek protocol in there somewhere.

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:31 pm

No Ortek protocol in there after all. Looks like learning will be the easiest solution. FWIW, I used to have a 7960 myself and controlled an Ortek (Hama) dongle with it just fine, but I did load the protocol using a JP1 cable. I still control the Ortek today with other JP1 remotes.