PC + TV Setup

A place to talk about GPUs/Motherboards/CPUs/Cases/Remotes, etc.
zooplibob

HTPC Specs: Show details

PC + TV Setup

Post by zooplibob » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:11 pm

I use an XBOX extender for the living room, but I want to put a big TV in the bedroom too, where the server is located. Whats the best way to do this?

I have 2 monitors already, but I guess I would need another video card and put the TV on that one. But how do I get Media Center to always display full screen on the TV? And what about the audio, wouldn't it end up coming out of computer speakers and the TV at the same time, slightly out of sync? I wouldn't want the computer audio playing out of the TV if I were watching at the same time I used the computer.

Ideally I want it to be as if there were another XBOX extender for that TV, so since its next to the server I would think theres a way to replicate that without the intermediate hardware, right?

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:30 pm

Nope.

Your absolute easiest and cheapest and most reliable way to achieve this is to use an XBox for the TV.

zooplibob

Post by zooplibob » Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:09 am

Seriously? The PC is right there with all the capable hardware and connectivity. Why do I have to purchase another $200 computer to do the same thing?

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:55 am

Because of this statement: "I wouldn't want the computer audio playing out of the TV if I were watching at the same time I used the computer." WMC does not have the option to output on a specific audio device. WMC can only use the default system audio device, which is the same device Windows and many other applications will use. The only way to prevent the system audio from outputting to the TV is if WMC is bitstreaming the audio output, in which case WMC takes exclusive control of the audio device and forbids any other application (including Windows) from using it. That would basically mute all audio except for WMC, but that also requires the source to be encoded as Dolby Digital or DTS. If it's just PCM, WMC won't be able to take exclusive control of the audio device, and system sounds will be sent to the TV.

blueiedgod

Post by blueiedgod » Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:26 pm

I don't know if it is implemented in Win 7, but in Win XP, you could have multiple users logged into the same machine from different keyboard/mouse/monitor units.

My girlfriend (at the time) and I could only afford 1 computer, so we would have 2 monitors, 2 keyboard/mice connected to the same computer and log in at the same time. We didn't have speakers, so, I don't know how and/or if sound was also split between the 2 users.