Windows 7 Necessary Services

Ask about SiliconDusts HomeRun tuners here.
Jimmersd

HTPC Specs: Show details

Windows 7 Necessary Services

Post by Jimmersd » Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:34 pm

My HTPC is a WMC server only. I only use the word server loosely for you purest out there ;). The OS is Windows 7 Pro 64bit. It is a headless box who only has network access uses a couple Primes and serves two Ceton Echos and saves video . I access it through remote desktop unless I have to fix something that needs a monitor.

I think that there are probably a lot of Windows services running that do nothing to assist the box in this mission and quite possibly hinder it on occasion.

Any recommendations on services which are completely unnecessary for this? I've found a couple sites that recommend configurations primarily to speed up your system but that's not really what I'm going for. I want to remove all possibilities of stuttering, pausing, lagging, crashing caused by needless services doing their needless things in the background.

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:57 pm

Jimmersd wrote:My HTPC is a WMC server only. I only use the word server loosely for you purest out there ;). The OS is Windows 7 Pro 64bit. It is a headless box who only has network access uses a couple Primes and serves two Ceton Echos and saves video . I access it through remote desktop unless I have to fix something that needs a monitor.

I think that there are probably a lot of Windows services running that do nothing to assist the box in this mission and quite possibly hinder it on occasion.

Any recommendations on services which are completely unnecessary for this? I've found a couple sites that recommend configurations primarily to speed up your system but that's not really what I'm going for. I want to remove all possibilities of stuttering, pausing, lagging, crashing caused by needless services doing their needless things in the background.
Can you post a list of the ones on your chopping block so far?

Jimmersd

Post by Jimmersd » Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:25 am

mdavej wrote:Can you post a list of the ones on your chopping block so far?
Well besides Windows Font Cache Service, no not much. That's why I'm asking.

Bryan

Post by Bryan » Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:10 pm

Quite honestly, I wouldn't bother, I gave up on that sort of thing long ago. Windows 7 is plenty stable out of the box and disabling built-in services will likely only lead to more trouble. I would watch out for services installed by things you install, but even those should be fine.

FWIW, my 7 HTPC is completely stable and I've never disabled stuff on it. I basically installed MSE, Ceton drivers, Media Browser, and called it a day.

Tester

Post by Tester » Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:31 pm

After many years of tweaking many aspects of win7 including services, I have come to the same conclusion as Bryan.. The very very little performance boost, if any, is not worth the trouble and effort.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:56 pm

Jimmersd wrote:My HTPC is a WMC server only. I only use the word server loosely for you purest out there
For us "purists", Windows 7 is a desktop OS. It is not a server, no matter how you are using it.
Bryan wrote:Quite honestly, I wouldn't bother, I gave up on that sort of thing long ago. Windows 7 is plenty stable out of the box and disabling built-in services will likely only lead to more trouble. I would watch out for services installed by things you install, but even those should be fine.

FWIW, my 7 HTPC is completely stable and I've never disabled stuff on it.
+1

SoundForSound

Post by SoundForSound » Wed Nov 27, 2013 5:07 am

Just get it working and disable auto-updates. ;p

Jimmersd

Post by Jimmersd » Fri Nov 29, 2013 2:36 am

barnabas1969 wrote:
Jimmersd wrote:My HTPC is a WMC server only. I only use the word server loosely for you purest out there
For us "purists", Windows 7 is a desktop OS. It is not a server, no matter how you are using it.
+1
Funny. You didn't even play with that one. You just took the bate a ran... :lol:

dude you really need to chill...