Echo and IR blaster

Ask fellow members about Ceton's infiniTV tuners here.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
Npurday

HTPC Specs: Show details

Echo and IR blaster

Post by Npurday » Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:41 am

I have just installed the echo and all has worked well until I tried to put the echo in the av closet and use an ir diverter to control the system.

I'm using xantech ir diverter. No luck with the awful supplied remote or the Roswell WMC remote that works perfectly with the htpc downstairs. I have removed the film on the front of the echo and carefully attached the blaster to the window on the front of the system. I can see the signal is being relayed to the echo. Remotes work when pointed at the system but not via the irsystem.

Plan b was to try the USB/ir dongle from the Roswell. Still no luck.

Does anyone have a working system that does not require line of sight between the remote and echo?

christoph86

Post by christoph86 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:26 am

I have my TV hanging on the wall and I place the echo behind it facing up but out of sight. It does about as well as when I had it in plain sight. It does get kind of hot back there though, so not entirely set on this yet.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:40 am

I think the best remote for the Echo is the My Media Center App from Ceton. The app turns your phone or tablet into the remote. http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/viewforum.php?f=63 Plus you can program your recordings from where ever you and your phone are.

Regarding..... "Does anyone have a working system that does not require line of sight between the remote and echo?" .....Mine seems to work better bouncing the beam from the remote off the wall and ceiling. My setup is backwards, compared to most. I have a TV, Echo, and a projector mounted on the south wall. The projector shoots to the screen which is on the north wall. I aim the Ceton supplied remote at the north wall, the beam bounces off the north wall to the ceiling, and sends signals to the Echo which is behind me. Didn't know it could do that until I got the projector. The point is that the remotes signal can bounce off objects.....so if your cabinate is near or on the floor-try aiming at different places. Not nescesarily right at the echo itself. I read about one guy that bolted his Echo right to the wall, aimed up, then up where the wall meets the ceiling-he installed a mirror. I guess he would aim at the ceiling somewhere, the signal would bounce off the mirror then hit the Echo which was hidden behind the TV. I heard this is how the Egyptians got light in the pyramids.

tzr916

Post by tzr916 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:23 pm

I got this off Amazon (takes about 4 weeks from Taiwan to USA)-
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AMT ... UTF8&psc=1

Proper placement of the the blaster on the Echo is the very important. One micron off and the Echo won't respond to some or any commands sent by the blaster. It was virtually impossible to place the blaster so that the echo would respond to the blaster and direct remote commands, it's one or the other. I am still experimenting with it because it seems like the Echo doesn't recognized a few of the remote commands through the blaster....

IownFIVEechos

Post by IownFIVEechos » Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:26 pm

tzr916 wrote:I got this off Amazon (takes about 4 weeks from Taiwan to USA)-
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AMT ... UTF8&psc=1

Proper placement of the the blaster on the Echo is the very important. One micron off and the Echo won't respond to some or any commands sent by the blaster. It was virtually impossible to place the blaster so that the echo would respond to the blaster and direct remote commands, it's one or the other. I am still experimenting with it because it seems like the Echo doesn't recognized a few of the remote commands through the blaster....

Yikes another device you have to plug in? Wonder if that takes as much power as the echo itself :(

kingwr

Post by kingwr » Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:10 pm

IownFIVEechos wrote:Wonder if that takes as much power as the echo itself :(
I would have to believe no. A Windows Media Center compatible IR receiver and blaster(s) works off the 5V USB power of any PC. I bet this would work without the adapter if your TV has a USB plug with power.