Surround Sound Issues

StHapns247

HTPC Specs: Show details

Surround Sound Issues

Post by StHapns247 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:06 am

I have my PC plugged into my AV receiver via HDMI, coming out of my nVidia GPU. In Windows I have the speaker configuration set to 5.1 surround and it works great with games and other media. However, when I go into Windows Media Center and try to play some recorded TV the video and audio will stutter (the same small piece of audio will play over and over again) and after about 5 seconds I will get the "video files needed to play this file are required" message. After this NO audio, even interface sounds, will work in Media Center until I close out and open it again. In Media Center I have configured my speakers to 5.1 and outputting via HDMI.

Here's the odd thing: If I go back into the Windows sound settings and change my speaker config to Stereo the stuttering goes away, but all audio is only it stereo.

Has anyone experienced this before? What can I do to alleviate it. I want to keep my 5.1 surround sound.

Windows 7 64bit
nVidia GTX 760
8GB RAM
Sony 5.1 AV receiver

holidayboy

Post by holidayboy » Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:12 pm

I think most people set windows audio to stereo and then run through the speaker setup in Media Center and select 5.1 to avoid the video error message issue.

I don't know what happens if you do the reverse - set windows to 5.1 and Media Center to stereo?

I only have 2.1 audio.
Rob.

TGB.tv - the one stop shop for the more discerning Media Center user.

holidayboy

Post by holidayboy » Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:17 pm

I think there is something you can disable in MC to stop the error as well, I cant remember what tho - sorry!
Rob.

TGB.tv - the one stop shop for the more discerning Media Center user.

spanner

Post by spanner » Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:28 pm

Yes . just went through this. in win 7 control panel select sound then in playback devices select your default device, click on configure and set speakers to stereo. in WMC : tasks,settings, general, WMC setup, setup speakers. set speakers to 5.1. I have also read that some have had to turn off sound effects under general setup

StHapns247

Post by StHapns247 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:13 pm

My original post mentioned that I was able to resolve the issue in WMC by changing the Windows speaker config to stereo, however, this eliminates the ability to get 5.1 surround sound out of anything but WMC. I want to retain my ability to get surround sound in things like games while also getting it in WMC.

WarrenH

Post by WarrenH » Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:03 pm

Not possible, Windows can only output 1 sound setting, you'll have to change it manually each time
I see however you have an AVR connected, does this not process to 5.1 for those games etc?
Nb if the source isn't 5.1 you'll not get true DTS and will have to use a faux 5.1 on your AVR

StHapns247

Post by StHapns247 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:35 pm

The audio that gets sent to the avr is picked up as LPCM whether Windows is set to stereo or 5.1, this is also what shows up in games. When I play a show in WMC the avr picks it up as Dolby Digital no matter what my speaker setting in Windows or WMC is. However, it is only in surround if I configure the WMC speakers to be 5.1. From my understanding no pc games use Dolby Digital, they use LPCM.

Tallscott

Post by Tallscott » Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:20 pm

Hi StHapns247, I have the exact same problem and have had it on and off over the past couple of years. I have a similar set up through my AV receiver except I'm using an AMD graphics card and HDMI connector. Did you find a solution?
I've only cleared it after reinstalling the os.
Cheers