InfiniTV 6 ETH with Motorola CableCARD

Ask fellow members about Ceton's infiniTV tuners here.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
fossilz

HTPC Specs: Show details

InfiniTV 6 ETH with Motorola CableCARD

Post by fossilz » Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:40 pm

Newbie here :D

Before I take this CableCARD back, I'm looking for confirmation that it is in fact the CableCARD that is a problem here.

The Ceton Diagonostic tool shows:

This truely is a hardware problem with the CableCARD and not because the card hasn't properly activated, correct?

epayson85

Post by epayson85 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:24 pm

What Cable Company is this? When I had fios I had no issues. I moved this year and could only get comshaft. I went through 3 or 4 cards before I figured it out. I hadn't returned my fios equipment yet so I looked at the cable cards. The end that goes into the tuner has little raised bumps. The fios card had a gold plate here where the comcast ones didn't. The next time I went to get more cards to try I asked if I could pick one out myself. They handed me a bag full of them. I grabbed one with the gold just like the fios cable cards and sure enough they worked. If you also check the version numbers the ones with the gold are a newer version. A lot of the cable companies never take broken ones out of circulation so good luck.

fossilz

Post by fossilz » Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:34 pm

This is Charter

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:55 am

epayson85 wrote:What Cable Company is this? When I had fios I had no issues. I moved this year and could only get comshaft. I went through 3 or 4 cards before I figured it out. I hadn't returned my fios equipment yet so I looked at the cable cards. The end that goes into the tuner has little raised bumps. The fios card had a gold plate here where the comcast ones didn't. The next time I went to get more cards to try I asked if I could pick one out myself. They handed me a bag full of them. I grabbed one with the gold just like the fios cable cards and sure enough they worked. If you also check the version numbers the ones with the gold are a newer version. A lot of the cable companies never take broken ones out of circulation so good luck.
Are these the 2 types of cards you are talking about? gold strip/non gold strip, 2nd pic is the flip side.
Attachments
cableCARD004.jpg
cableCARD003.jpg

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:24 am

FWIW, I have Charter and the card on the left, and mine works fine in an InfiniTV 4, Homerun Prime, and Hauppauge. I've never seen a message like yours. Is it possible you plugged it in upside down or don't have it seated completely?

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:44 am

mdavej wrote:FWIW, I have Charter and the card on the left, and mine works fine in an InfiniTV 4, Homerun Prime, and Hauppauge. I've never seen a message like yours. Is it possible you plugged it in upside down or don't have it seated completely?
This pic is how my CableCard is installed in my Infini4.
Attachments
PICT0558.JPG

fossilz

Post by fossilz » Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:55 pm

mdavej wrote:Is it possible you plugged it in upside down or don't have it seated completely?
No, it's in and seated correctly. Charter is coming out today to give me a new Card. I noticed on the card that it has a dent one side of it. I think they gave me a melon :D

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:33 pm

Crash2009 wrote:
epayson85 wrote:What Cable Company is this? When I had fios I had no issues. I moved this year and could only get comshaft. I went through 3 or 4 cards before I figured it out. I hadn't returned my fios equipment yet so I looked at the cable cards. The end that goes into the tuner has little raised bumps. The fios card had a gold plate here where the comcast ones didn't. The next time I went to get more cards to try I asked if I could pick one out myself. They handed me a bag full of them. I grabbed one with the gold just like the fios cable cards and sure enough they worked. If you also check the version numbers the ones with the gold are a newer version. A lot of the cable companies never take broken ones out of circulation so good luck.
Are these the 2 types of cards you are talking about? gold strip/non gold strip, 2nd pic is the flip side.
The two types are both compatible with the InfiniTV. We have both floating around our office.
Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation

fossilz

Post by fossilz » Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:46 pm

Well, the Charter Tech's (2 of them) came out and spent 3 hours at my house. The first CableCARD was definitely bad. The problem now is we can't get the CableCARD to Validate. They fixed any signal issues. I get local channels and local HD channels, but nothing else (i.e. premium channels). I have applied the latest "pre beta" firmware as well. They also swapped out the Tuning Adapter to be sure that wasn't causing any problems.

What I get now is:

Kind of at a loss, wondering if my InfiniTV 6 is the problem now.

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:31 am

You've done the easy part. Now comes the hard part. Very few people at Charter know what a cable card is, fewer still know how to pair it on a Tivo, and maybe one guy knows how to pair it on a Ceton device. Keep trying until you get someone who accepts all three required numbers to successfully pair: Card ID, Host ID, and Data. This may help guide them: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1487232/troub ... t_23674541. And whatever you do, stay on the line until activation is successful.

Tuning adapter driver not installed looks like a problem to me. You may want to reinstall your Ceton drivers and make sure the TA is plugged in, powered up and the driver is loaded. Regardless of the card activation, you should get a solid amber light on a Moto TA (not sure about Cisco). There's no chance of getting all your channels until you get the TA working.

Failing all of that, contact Ceton and they will go to bat for you and contact Charter directly.

I've been through this many times with Charter, and it's never easy. Good luck.

fossilz

Post by fossilz » Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:40 pm

I did a reinstall and still doesn't show a Tuning Adapter Driver installed. I spoke with Charter again and told them (based on your link) to send a CCV Hit and they said they did, then I asked for an RHT Hit. The tech said RHT Hits are specifcally for Scientific Atlanta Cable Cards. They did send a hit to the Tuning Adapter too.

Edit: I put in a ticket with Ceton. Hoping maybe they can help me with Charter.

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:22 pm

fossilz wrote:I did a reinstall and still doesn't show a Tuning Adapter Driver installed. I spoke with Charter again and told them (based on your link) to send a CCV Hit and they said they did, then I asked for an RHT Hit. The tech said RHT Hits are specifcally for Scientific Atlanta Cable Cards. They did send a hit to the Tuning Adapter too.

Edit: I put in a ticket with Ceton. Hoping maybe they can help me with Charter.
FYI Tuning Adapters have nothing to do with CableCARD pairing (though TAs also need to be provisioned to operate)
Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation

fossilz

Post by fossilz » Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:01 pm

erkotz, I'm wondering if maybe you can help get some visibility on this ticket HGK-568-38434. Right now I have a $300 paper weight, even though I understand it's most likely my cable operator.