W7MC live TV setup won't complete after upgrade

tfrost

HTPC Specs: Show details

W7MC live TV setup won't complete after upgrade

Post by tfrost » Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:34 am

I recently upgraded from Vista to Win7. My Dell PC came with a Hauppauge WinTV HVR-1250 installed as OEM. WMC worked fine under Vista, but when I tried to run live TV setup after this upgrade, it won't complete. All I get is one dot in the progress bar, even when left to run overnight. I've worked a lot with Hauppauge support, so far without success.

Any thoughts?

holidayboy

Post by holidayboy » Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:18 am

Can you give us a list of the things you have tried so far?

Have you tried running the media center recovery task which will reset it to a factory default state?

This process will completely wipe your current settings so use with caution!

1. Close Media Center.

2. Open an admin cmd prompt (type cmd into the start menu, right click the cmd link and run as administrator)

3. Type %windir%\ehome\mcupdate -mediacenterrecoverytask into the black cmd prompt window and press enter (then wait a minute as there is no on screen prompt to say it's done).

Open Media Center (you should get the first run welcome screen) and try setting TV up.

You could also manually turn media center off from the control panel (in programs and features>turn windows features on or off), then delete the hidden c:\programdata\microsoft\ehome folder, then turn media center back on in control panel
Rob.

TGB.tv - the one stop shop for the more discerning Media Center user.

tfrost

Post by tfrost » Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:16 pm

What I've tried so far:
* Downloaded and installed the latest driver for my Hauppauge WinTV HVR-1250 for use with W7MC

* With a Hauppauge tech, I performed the reset that can be done within WMC

* I did steps 1-3 that you suggested in your reply above (a couple times)

Each time I do one of these things followed by running live TV setup, whether I select 'Use my previous settings' or 'Discard my previous settings' and set up afresh, live TV setup never completes, it just runs endlessly, even overnight!

tfrost

Post by tfrost » Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:01 pm

I did the last step you suggested above (You could also manually turn media center off from the control panel (in programs and features>turn windows features on or off), then delete the hidden c:\programdata\microsoft\ehome folder, then turn media center back on in control panel) and it worked! Live TV setup detected the antenna and completed successfully, the guide loaded, and I was able to watch and record a program for the first time since September. THANK YOU!

From your friend Ted across the pond in Colorado.

holidayboy

Post by holidayboy » Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:15 pm

Good stuff :thumbup:
Rob.

TGB.tv - the one stop shop for the more discerning Media Center user.