Custom record lengths

TheApocalyptican

HTPC Specs: Show details

Custom record lengths

Post by TheApocalyptican » Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:25 am

Is there any way, like with a registry change, to get custom record lengths? My problem is that I have several shows that are back to back, and also multiple shows on at the same time. So, I set the recording so that it records the shows on one channel, all as one recording. That way there is no cut off of shows, but also to not take up multiple tuners. The problem is the last show of a multi show recording tends to get cut off. So I'd like to be able to set a recording to stop like 35 mins after, or 65 mins after. Anyway to do this other than using the much longer record lengths?

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:16 pm

The way you are doing it, you'll need to extend the record time. But why are you doing it that way? Why not cancel your multi-show recording and just set up individual series recordings? For each series in the group except for the last series, set the stop time to "x minutes after (when possible)". For the last show, set the stop time to "n minutes after" (note the absence of "when possible"). When done this way, all of the shows will use the same tuner, but the recordings will span several files. If you are concerned about the recordings spanning multiple files, you can use Media Center TV Stitch to "stitch" them together.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:31 pm

Also, if you keep your PC's clock sync'd with an Internet time server regularly, you will have far fewer problems with the beginning/end of the show getting chopped off. Every PC I've ever seen has significant clock drift, and the default setting is to sync the clock weekly. That's not often enough. There are several threads about this on the site. I set mine to sync the clock every time the PC wakes from sleep. Other people sync the clock once or twice a day.

TheApocalyptican

Post by TheApocalyptican » Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:18 pm

richard: the reason for doing it the way I am is because of the recording spanning multiple files, and also, because of the fact I get slight cutoffs. It seems, at least on my system that there are some seconds missing between shows when set to record individually. It's mostly a problem with sitcoms, as it seems to be just enough to miss that last joke. I will check out the stitch program though.

barnabas: I keep syncing it on my own when I realize it's off, but only maybe once a week. I'll look into making it sync more often, and hopefully that will help, along with the stitch program.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:29 pm

View the link below for instructions on setting it to sync the clock every time the PC wakes from standby:
http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... 883#p10883

If you don't use standby, and keep your PC turned on 24x7, just make the trigger in the scheduled task run once per day at whatever time you like instead of making it run every time the computer wakes. In other words, ignore steps 6a-6f, and instead make the trigger begin "On a schedule", choose "Daily", recur every 1 day, pick a time, and click OK.

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:50 pm

I figured that's what you were concerned about. Unfortunately there's no way to set up the recordings without making some kind of compromise. You either have to keep doing what you are doing (but extend the recording time) or make multiple recording files. If you utilize only a single tuner to make multiple recording files, you run the risk that the files don't break at the correct spot (you probably want them to break during a commercial). The only way to avoid that is to use multiple tuners (if you set each series to stop at least 10 minutes after with no "when possible" option, each recording in a back-to-back recording will use a different tuner).