The app works, but Movies do not play, no error messages

Discuss My Media Center for Windows 8, Windows RT, iOS, Android, and WP, and ask Ceton for support.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. There is no official support mechanism for My Media Center.
inversionD

HTPC Specs: Show details

The app works, but Movies do not play, no error messages

Post by inversionD » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:49 pm

When choosing a movie from my own local library, the app first says "Playback will begin momentarily" and then followed by "[Movie Name] has started." However, on the computer with My Media Center Config installed, nothing happens. No programs open, no videos begin playing, nothing. What is wrong?

To give some background, I'm using the Android App on a Droid X running Gingerbread ( a tad old, I know). The App seems to be working perfectly fine, and updates when I modify files on my computer. My computer is running Windows 7 Ultimate, and I have many local videos. I've added the appropriate directories to the My Media Center Config (which successfully installed), and each video is in its own folder, with the video's title as the folder name. The App correctly grabs the video's IMDB poster image, so I know that function is working, and I also know that the App is properly connecting the my computer, and is reading the correct directory.

So why doesn't anything play? The videos I want to play range in filetypes and codecs, but I've tested with MP4's (encoded with H.264), and still no luck. I do not have a Tuner Card installed, and I don't wish to watch Live TV through this. I only want to use it to control the videos I play on my computer. The description of the service and App said that this was possible.

Is this program somehow tied to Windows Media Center? If so, how? What do I have to do to get this to work? I'm searched through the available How-To's, FAQ's, and Walkthroughs on this forum, and on Ceton's website, and still do not have an answer. Please, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Motz

Post by Motz » Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:58 am

You would have to have Windows Media Center open on your PC for it to start playback. There is an add-in that is used for control and playback of you WMC pc.

I hope that helps.
I Write, Code, and Tweet

inversionD

Post by inversionD » Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:10 pm

I've tried it with Windows Media Center open, and it did not work. However, I did not have a plugin or add-in installed. Can you please give me a download link to this add-in, or at least tell me its name? I cannot find any information on the Ceton website regarding a plugin or add-in for MMC with WMC.

Thank your help.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:05 pm

The add-in is installed when you install the service for My Media Center on your PC. Unless... if you didn't close Media Center before you ran the installer. Have you rebooted the PC since you installed the My Media Center service?

inversionD

Post by inversionD » Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:44 am

I didn't have WMC open when I ran the MMC installer. I had not rebooted the computer, but I just did twice, and tried using the app, and nothing happened just as before. I tried it with WMC open and with it closed. Is there any way to check if the plugin/add-in is properly installed (like, a file in the Program Files directory, etc)?

holidayboy

Post by holidayboy » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:03 am

You could maybe try uninstalling from the control panel, reboot, then install it again for test?
Rob.

TGB.tv - the one stop shop for the more discerning Media Center user.

inversionD

Post by inversionD » Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:41 pm

I uninstalled MMC, restarted the computer, installed MMC, restarted the computer, and then tried to use it, both with WMC open and closed, and nothing happened. Any other ideas?

Motz

Post by Motz » Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:48 pm

Recommendation would be to go into Windows Media Center -> Settings -> Libraries and add the same folder you added in the config into movies. Then try it again. Maybe it is a permission thing.
I Write, Code, and Tweet

inversionD

Post by inversionD » Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:19 am

Yea, I already tried that, no luck. I also tried downloading and installing the Ceton Echo WMC add-in (because at this point, why not?), and that didn't work either.

I also tried a different app called Media Center Control. It does the same thing as the Ceton My Media Center, but doesn't look as nice or have as many features as Ceton's. But at least Media Center Control is working and plays videos through WMC.

Is there anything else that might help me with Ceton My Media Center? Because otherwise I'm going to ask for a refund and use this other app. I don't mean to sound confrontational, but Ceton has not delivered on its claims.

Motz

Post by Motz » Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:28 am

Does the remote in the app let you navigate up and down the WMC menu?

These use the same protocols so I am curious.
I Write, Code, and Tweet

inversionD

Post by inversionD » Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:02 pm

It does not. I'm pretty sure the issue is that when the MMC Config program was installed, it did not install an add-in to WMC. I've installed the program twice, and neither time did trying to control WMC from the app work.