Beta Candidate InfiniTV firmware available

Ask fellow members about Ceton's infiniTV tuners here.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
erkotz

HTPC Specs: Show details

Beta Candidate InfiniTV firmware available

Post by erkotz » Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:57 am

Hi all,
We've got a beta candidate of new InfiniTV firmware which has a number of large changes, so I wanted to offer it to TGBers to get some feedback on it before we move it to public beta.

Changelog:
-Improved tuner power management
-Resolves an incorrect Subscription Required message which intermittently appeared on tune when using a TA
-Resolves a pixelation issue on 6-tuner products when using 5 or 6 tuners
-Workaround for Cisco TA issue where TA did not respond to initialization request

The firmware is available at http://update.cetoncorp.com/get/infinit ... _177.IMAGE

This firmware is compatible with all InfiniTV tuners. To install the firmware, you will need to go to the System tab of the InfiniTV web page.

Please note that this firmware is pre-beta and Ceton Support may ask you to downgrade to our released firmware if you open a support ticket while on this firmware. We are not aware of any new issues introduced in this firmware release, however if you have one, we are interested in hearing about it. Please do not post issues in this thread unrelated to the pre-beta firmware.

/edit: Previous InfiniTV firmware to roll back is available here: http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... 402#p64402
Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation

woodchuck

Post by woodchuck » Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:29 pm

I loaded this new firmware up last night and haven't noticed much new - good or bad. I don't have a TA in my setup though. I'll report back after using it for awhile.

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:24 pm

woodchuck wrote:I loaded this new firmware up last night and haven't noticed much new - good or bad. I don't have a TA in my setup though. I'll report back after using it for awhile.
No news is good news :D
We actually do appreciate this sort of feedback - it means we haven't introduced a new issue.

lurch66

Post by lurch66 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:34 pm

I am having an issue since installing this firmware. when I put my computer to sleep and than resume my tuning adapter does its normal flash a few times but the tuning adapter led never goes back to solid green as it normally would. I have a cisco 1520 TA on v 1601 and am running a cisco cable card 908 running v 0601. On the tuning adapter screen it states waiting for pairing, upstream connection complete, Authentication complete, TR initializing.

When using the previous beta firmware all was working fine. I hope this information proves useful. If need be I can open up a ticket with support to help resolve this problem so it does not affect others when this is released. forgot to add I have a infiniTV 4

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:08 pm

lurch66 wrote:I am having an issue since installing this firmware. when I put my computer to sleep and than resume my tuning adapter does its normal flash a few times but the tuning adapter led never goes back to solid green as it normally would. I have a cisco 1520 TA on v 1601 and am running a cisco cable card 908 running v 0601. On the tuning adapter screen it states waiting for pairing, upstream connection complete, Authentication complete, TR initializing.

When using the previous beta firmware all was working fine. I hope this information proves useful. If need be I can open up a ticket with support to help resolve this problem so it does not affect others when this is released. forgot to add I have a infiniTV 4
Can you please downgrade to your prior firmware and confirm that problem goes away. If so, please open a support ticket and include a diag in-state? Please note that I asked you to open it. Thanks!

lurch66

Post by lurch66 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:58 pm

erkotz wrote:
lurch66 wrote:I am having an issue since installing this firmware. when I put my computer to sleep and than resume my tuning adapter does its normal flash a few times but the tuning adapter led never goes back to solid green as it normally would. I have a cisco 1520 TA on v 1601 and am running a cisco cable card 908 running v 0601. On the tuning adapter screen it states waiting for pairing, upstream connection complete, Authentication complete, TR initializing.

Can you please downgrade to your prior firmware and confirm that problem goes away. If so, please open a support ticket and include a diag in-state? Please note that I asked you to open it. Thanks!

There is no roll back option on the diag tool and the ceton website does not have just the firmware that I can find. I also checked the system tab where I uploaded the pre beta firmware and there was no downgrade option. Can you please provide a link to the previous beta firmware? Thanks.

also What is a diag in state. Is that different than the standard diag pulled with the ceton tool?

lurch66

Post by lurch66 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:44 pm

lurch66 wrote:
erkotz wrote:

There is no roll back option on the diag tool and the ceton website does not have just the firmware that I can find. I also checked the system tab where I uploaded the pre beta firmware and there was no downgrade option. Can you please provide a link to the previous beta firmware? Thanks.

also What is a diag in state. Is that different than the standard diag pulled with the ceton tool?
I found an old link to a older ceton firmware and loaded it so the current ceton upload tool would than load the current firmware. I am now on firmware 1.2.2.6 and it is working fine. I will submit a support ticket so you can look into this futher. Thanks erkotz

signcarver

Post by signcarver » Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:01 pm

erkotz wrote: -Improved tuner power management
-Resolves an incorrect Subscription Required message which intermittently appeared on tune when using a TA
-Resolves a pixelation issue on 6-tuner products when using 5 or 6 tuners
-Workaround for Cisco TA issue where TA did not respond to initialization request
My reason for trying this is that I have seen an incorrect subscription required message, and my TA does not respond after a soft reboot of the computer (power off/shut down, if everything is working works fine but does not work if it has lost communiation and never works on a restart).

My first question is if the TA issue is for just the 6ETH since it is connected to the TA or if it should also be for the PCIe and USB tuners as I would think the TA part of those would be in the windows drivers not the firmware.

Just tried the firmware with an infiniTV4-USB, cisco cablecard (I believe 800 from diag. screen with PKEY1.5.3_F.p.0601) and cisco STA1520 (STA1.0.0_1520_LR_F.1601) and decided I need to do some more testing (to try and make sure it isn't caused by this one computer) but want to report what I have observed ... out of the box, it seemed to do OK but then I attempted two things that I know that I can do to trigger problems.

The first thing I wanted to check was the subscription required... since for most people, this would be intermittent and hard to detect, I had noticed a way I can always force this issue in that I have a problem when going to a "regular" digital tier program (encrypted/protected/mpeg2...not locals) from Cox's plus pack (now contour HD) which are protected h.264 channels (note: I have recently seen another report of a similar problem about the homerun prme so I think it is a TA issue or a possibly a problem with switching from protected h.264 to protected mpeg2... I realize this isn't the place for help with this problem but wanted to give some background). Very rarely I think I have seen subscription required messages going between other tiers (I do know that when ever I have seen them it is switching from one tier to another... I usually get 5 maps on the TA and I assume each map is a tier so it may be from one map to another) but I know I can always "force" this going between these 2 particular tiers... I don't watch a lot of live tv so I don't see it happen very often as it has never affected recordings.

For instance, If I watch cookingHD live for half an hour or so (has to be at least 10-15 minutes otherwise the problem doesn't seem to happen for me) and then try and tune TNT-HD I get a subscription required message (channel up-down would fix this). With the new firmware, right when I expected to see the subscription required message, my computer totally locked up (so I could not do channel up/down)... It took me forever to recover from this... I had to power down (I did not reboot the i4-USB since I wanted to keep the logs), copied the logs out but found out it would no longer connect/get responses from the TA (which brings me to my second problem of TAs getting "lost" after reboots) Usually at this point, I can either power cycle or type reboot on the device's log page but neither allowed me to get reconnected to my TA ... regular TA page stated ready but the first line stated something like "waiting for pairing" in attempt to access TA diagnostics it said something like "No response from TA" The only way I was able to get it back was to power off everything, bring the TA up and wait for it to be "ready" then bring the computer up, then the infiniTV...

I tried to test the same procedure again and the same thing happened (lock up instead of subscription required message)... I plan on testing this on another computer later today possibly 2 as my win8 laptop tends to fair better with h.264 channels but just noticed a "warning" on the ceton site stating the win8 package is "Not compatible with InfiniTV 4 USB" but I don't recall ever having a problem with plugging in my device in the past and/or connecting it by network to my desktop if I have network tuners enabled to see if it makes a difference. Afterwards I will try and revert the firmware and see if it still behaves this way on any of them. I also want to give the firmware a chance to handle a "normal" load of scheduled recordings during prime time

MeInDallas

Post by MeInDallas » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:11 pm

Yes please, where can we download the previous firmware at? I cant even tune my TV anymore after installing this new beta firmware, please help, thanks!

Beerman

Post by Beerman » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:50 pm

Is this update mainly for Windows 8 and 8.1?
I've got my ETH6 running fine in 8.1 but have never updated my system with the Infinitv 4 to 8.1 yet as I was waiting for some updates from Ceton. So, to test this, should I upgrade to 8.1 first?

MeInDallas

Post by MeInDallas » Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:32 pm

I cant understand why theres no place to download previous versions of firmware, theres no way to revert back to a previous versions in the Ceton Diagnostic Tool, theres just nothing, you are totally at the mercy of Ceton to get back to you via a ticket on their website, and here i sit with no TV and its right before prime time and I cant do anything.

I think I've learned my lesson on upgrading to beta versions now. I give . . uncle uncle.

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:45 pm

signcarver wrote:My reason for trying this is that I have seen an incorrect subscription required message...
The TA intialization issue had to do with an identifier string we provided to the TA. We have only seen this in the lab and it is unlikely it was encountered outside of that.

The changes (including TA ones) are for all InfiniTV tuners (except when otherwise indicated)

This firmware is compatible with all Windows versions, and has nothing 8.1 specifc in it.
MeInDallas wrote:Yes please, where can we download the previous firmware at? I cant even tune my TV anymore after installing this new beta firmware, please help, thanks!
Previous firmware for 4-tuner products: http://update.cetoncorp.com/get/infinit ... _2_6.IMAGE
Previous firmware for 6-tuner products: http://update.cetoncorp.com/get/infinit ... _132.IMAGE

carljanderson

Post by carljanderson » Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:49 pm

I will give this one a shot, however, I have not been able to use any firmware in my InifiniTV4 since 1.2.2.6.

My Infinitv4 was delivered to me 3 years ago, so is there someone out there with 1 of those initial InfiniTV4's who can use this firmware?

MeInDallas

Post by MeInDallas » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:02 pm

Thank you! Thank you!

signcarver

Post by signcarver » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:37 pm

I'm going to give it tonight to try primetime recordings but I will then revert (I may have some time for more testing Friday-Monday) ... turns out, for me, this new firmware requires 20 minutes and 51 seconds to "pair" with the TA and I just wasn't waiting long enough.

{edit change the seconds to 51 from 58 as that was when it was finally able to communicate with it... 58 was when it finally saw it had maps.

Beerman

Post by Beerman » Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:00 am

I installed the beta on my second machine running the PCie in 8 (not 8.1) and it's working but a few channels gave me an SDV error but after a few seconds, the station played just fine. And, these are channels that, as far as I know, are not SDV....even the local channels.
I'll keep playing with it and see how things work out. May jump to 8.1 this weekend.

ToddD

Post by ToddD » Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:02 am

erkotz wrote:
woodchuck wrote:I loaded this new firmware up last night and haven't noticed much new - good or bad. I don't have a TA in my setup though. I'll report back after using it for awhile.
No news is good news :D
We actually do appreciate this sort of feedback - it means we haven't introduced a new issue.
I can second Woodchuck...No issues Good or Bad

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:15 am

carljanderson wrote:I will give this one a shot, however, I have not been able to use any firmware in my InifiniTV4 since 1.2.2.6.

My Infinitv4 was delivered to me 3 years ago, so is there someone out there with 1 of those initial InfiniTV4's who can use this firmware?
I have tested this card on our oldest hardware revision and it worked properly is my testing - it should work for you.
Beerman wrote:I installed the beta on my second machine running the PCie in 8 (not 8.1) and it's working but a few channels gave me an SDV error but after a few seconds, the station played just fine. And, these are channels that, as far as I know, are not SDV....even the local channels.
I'll keep playing with it and see how things work out. May jump to 8.1 this weekend.
When a TA is attached, it resolves all tuning requests - even for non-switched channels.

bjstick

Post by bjstick » Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:47 pm

Since installing this update I get "copying prohibited" when attempting to watch Live TV from either my HTPC or Echo. Strangely, however, I was able to watch two shows that recorded since the update.

Also, last night my Tuning Adapter would lose its sync once tuning a channel and wouldn't come back until power cycling the TA. Both of these experiences are new to me.

Ticket ID: KZQ-713-55714 in case you want to look at the diag.

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:03 pm

No issues with this firmware and my Motorola TA.