InfiniTV 6 ETH - Only 5 tuners at a time?

Ask fellow members about Ceton's infiniTV tuners here.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
bilditup1

HTPC Specs: Show details

InfiniTV 6 ETH - Only 5 tuners at a time?

Post by bilditup1 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:22 pm

I've been trying to really stress my InfiniTV. After updating my PC's NIC drivers, it appears to be working well but for bottlenecks - no Gigabit Ethernet connection right now between the InfiniTV and the PC I've assigned all of its tuners to (removed limit with TunerSalad); I suspect this is causing occasional stuttering - and some quirkiness where I can only use five out of six tuners at any one time. I'm not doing any pooling or anything like that yet, so I'm not sure what's going on. I have four extenders, two Echos and two Xbox 360s, that finally seem to be working, except for the fact that I cannot use more than one of those two 'extra' tuners at once.

tzr916

Post by tzr916 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 3:38 pm

bilditup1 wrote:I've been trying to really stress my InfiniTV. After updating my PC's NIC drivers, it appears to be working well but for bottlenecks - no Gigabit Ethernet connection right now between the InfiniTV and the PC I've assigned all of its tuners to (removed limit with TunerSalad); I suspect this is causing occasional stuttering - and some quirkiness where I can only use five out of six tuners at any one time. I'm not doing any pooling or anything like that yet, so I'm not sure what's going on. I have four extenders, two Echos and two Xbox 360s, that finally seem to be working, except for the fact that I cannot use more than one of those two 'extra' tuners at once.
You should really try to get gigabit and you don't need to use Tuner Salad. Installing the Ceton software, clearing the tuners, then re-run WMC tuner setup should recognize all 6. May have to repeat clearing in Ceton Diag a few times until they are seen in WMC.

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:37 pm

As others have mentioned, you are unlikely to be able to watch 6 HD channels using a 100mbit network connetion, due to the bandwidth requirements of HD. You will need to upgrade to gigabit.
Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:00 pm

I really, really tire of hearing people trying to "go it cheap" on streaming video--"I haven't/can't/won't run gigabit ethernet" or "I can't possibly run any wires at all, it must go wireless"--and then wondering why their stuff doesn't work.

Does no one lurk and read here?

Better yet, does no one bother to read the tech specs of the equipment they're buying? For example:

http://cetoncorp.com/products/infinitv-6-ethernet/

Minimum requirement: gigabit ethernet home network.

I can understand questioning the requirements before implementing it. "Do they really mean it?" Yes. Go do it. Here's why. But when you've ignored or never looked at the written specs for the device then found it lacking your environment, don't you start with looking at the specs and then implementing them?

bilditup1

Post by bilditup1 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:26 pm

Chill guys.
I had already ordered a Rev I FiOS router to replace the one I've got but it hasn't come in yet. I figured, though, that all six tuners would at least be recognized and tuned even if there were bottlenecks that mucked up the picture quality. But it wouldn't work even if I tuned every channel to SD; WMC would always complain that it had run out of tuners. As it happens, I was able to get all six to work, with all HD channels (at least, with one tuned and five recording) by power cycling the InfiniTV and my PC one more time.
The WMC tuner setup recognized all six, but by the end only configured four. If it saved me the trouble of rerunning the setup multiple times for a buck fifty or whatever it cost, I don't regret it.

machausta

Post by machausta » Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:54 pm

adam1991 wrote:I really, really tire of hearing people trying to "go it cheap" on streaming video--"I haven't/can't/won't run gigabit ethernet" or "I can't possibly run any wires at all, it must go wireless"--and then wondering why their stuff doesn't work.

Does no one lurk and read here?

Better yet, does no one bother to read the tech specs of the equipment they're buying? For example:

http://cetoncorp.com/products/infinitv-6-ethernet/

Minimum requirement: gigabit ethernet home network.

I can understand questioning the requirements before implementing it. "Do they really mean it?" Yes. Go do it. Here's why. But when you've ignored or never looked at the written specs for the device then found it lacking your environment, don't you start with looking at the specs and then implementing them?
Some people do lurk and read, but those aren't the same people that post. I know of at least one person that I work with who has a similar setup to mine, and he couldn't figure out the search engine on here. Needless to say I funneled him the answer he was looking for.