Apple TV + Slingbox = Extender?

Troubleshoot and discuss the XBOX 360, XBOX One, Linksys, and other extenders.
jeonunh

HTPC Specs: Show details

Apple TV + Slingbox = Extender?

Post by jeonunh » Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:04 pm

Does anyone here use Slingbox to extend WMC? I saw that the newest version of the software for iPhone and iPad supports Airplay, so it seems like this could be used to create an extender of sorts. HDCP would obviously be an issue if using the new Slingbox 500 with HDMI, but I think there are some unofficial HDMI splitters that strip the HDCP. Depending on the quality it would seem like a nearly perfect solution since it would play anything you can play on the HTPC. No more codec issues.

Anyone doing this? Quality?

phimoore

Post by phimoore » Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:52 pm

jeonunh wrote:Does anyone here use Slingbox to extend WMC? I saw that the newest version of the software for iPhone and iPad supports Airplay, so it seems like this could be used to create an extender of sorts. HDCP would obviously be an issue if using the new Slingbox 500 with HDMI, but I think there are some unofficial HDMI splitters that strip the HDCP. Depending on the quality it would seem like a nearly perfect solution since it would play anything you can play on the HTPC. No more codec issues.

I recently swapped out a Slingbox Solo for a Slingboc 350 and the picture quality is MUCH better. It's connected to a DMA2100. Then again, it helps to have the upload bandwidth that FIOS has.

jeonunh

Post by jeonunh » Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:58 pm

phimoore wrote:
jeonunh wrote:Does anyone here use Slingbox to extend WMC? I saw that the newest version of the software for iPhone and iPad supports Airplay, so it seems like this could be used to create an extender of sorts. HDCP would obviously be an issue if using the new Slingbox 500 with HDMI, but I think there are some unofficial HDMI splitters that strip the HDCP. Depending on the quality it would seem like a nearly perfect solution since it would play anything you can play on the HTPC. No more codec issues.

I recently swapped out a Slingbox Solo for a Slingboc 350 and the picture quality is MUCH better. It's connected to a DMA2100. Then again, it helps to have the upload bandwidth that FIOS has.

Do you use it on your home network at all? I'm honestly more interested in using it within my own house than I am travelling and such. I imagine the best quality would be when you're streaming on your own network and your internet connection isn't a factor.

phimoore

Post by phimoore » Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:19 pm

jeonunh wrote:
phimoore wrote:

Do you use it on your home network at all? I'm honestly more interested in using it within my own house than I am travelling and such. I imagine the best quality would be when you're streaming on your own network and your internet connection isn't a factor.

No, I use it mostly away from home.

Jay

Post by Jay » Thu Nov 28, 2013 3:47 am

I use a DMA2100 + slingbox solo. Mostly for away from home use, and I keep the video settings low to keep the data usage down, but it does work. I even got it to stream to a chrome cast on parents tv to watch my local channels. Quality is on the low end with marginal 4G connection, but better than nothing.