HDTC4-2US Available for Preorder

Ask about SiliconDusts HomeRun tuners here.
Chillout

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by Chillout » Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:25 pm

If you guys actually own one of these and confirm they work as indended then I will gladly eat crow and buy one of these.

However, I read the reviews and generally its all horrible experiences.... Lockups, studdering, buffering, and crashes after 20 minutes affects all the Silicon Dust devices that transcode. These are marketted to people who want a single device to do everything and an easy replacement for their cable box.

I wonder why people complain that they stop working after 20 minutes... Could it be because it starts melting down? I'm not sure, but when I OC my computer it starts doing weird things. Dedicated hardware only goes so far at this price point. These devices retail at $100....so maybe the CPU it uses wholesales at $20-30? They cant compete with CPU's that cost 3-4x more you see in desktop PC's. Dedicated hardware or not, its still clocking cycles.

The PRIME works 100% of the time because it doesnt try to do any thinking. If these things were retailing at $300-$500 then I would think it came with some decent hardware and would work as advertised.