What is the future for my home media setup?

geoffneck

HTPC Specs: Show details

What is the future for my home media setup?

Post by geoffneck » Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:56 am

I've been using media center for many years now and have a main server feeding my media room and two Xbox extenders in other rooms.

I've been reading about Xbox One and also the direction MS are pushing home entertainment. This does not seem to involve WMC in the way I use it.

Apparently XBox One does not support WMC as an extender. I'm not too sure how Xbox One works in the UK yet with TV, but this is making me look at my options, and I dont seem to find much choice out there. All I want is WMC. It is an all in one package. I don't want to invest in something that involves addons to record TV, or import a guide, or download my cover art. WMC does all that.

Is there another alternative out there?

Basic requirements:
1. Record/watch terrestrial TV
2. Compile a movie library with cover art info
3. collate music library
4. access family photos
5. have the ability to do all the above in a different room (must have the ability to view and interact with the TV guide) via an extender of some sort (Nettop PC or something noise free).

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:23 pm

All I want is WMC. It is an all in one package. I don't want to invest in something that involves addons to record TV, or import a guide, or download my cover art. WMC does all that.
So why don't you keep using it?

makryger

Post by makryger » Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:38 pm

^+1

The question of what will be the best all in one system in a post wmc world is a valid one. But no one is forcing you to upgrade from Windows 7, and no one is forcing you to throw out your extenders. I suspect wmc will be a functional platform for at least the next 5 years. Probably when something happens to guide support (though there are work arounds) or loss of cable card support.

So what will be the best replacement 5 years from now? I couldn't tell you what will be out there two years from now, let alone 5. I'd imagine Google, apple, Amazon, tivo, the individual cable companies, and the tv manufacturers will all be fighting for your attention. Maybe Microsoft will wake up and follow too.
My Channel Logos XL: Get your Guide looking good! ~~~~ TunerSalad: Increase the 4-tuner limit in 7MC

kingwr

Post by kingwr » Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:19 pm

XBox One is Microsoft's "future" offering in this arena. Microsoft had a shot at broadcast television with Media Center and they just decided it was too hard a nut to crack. I don't think either Apple or Microsoft will ever give it any more attention, opting instead to continue to make devices that are portals to Internet-based entertainment sources. It's just up to the Internet-based sources to evolve enough to eclipse broadcast television. At least XBox One includes a STB interface as "backward compatibility" with or a transition path for your legacy broadcast entertainment.

geoffneck

Post by geoffneck » Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:31 pm

Good point Adam, I will carry on using it. I guess what prompted my 'mild panic' is the following:

Like most of you, this is my hobby, and I like to keep abreast of the new tech and all I want is a simple solution to cover the 5 main requirements in my original post. WMC gives me that, but it is becoming clear that MS has a new vision for home entertainment in our lives, and I don't quite fully understand it yet. I've seen the Xbox One Launch videos that show gesture interaction and integration with Cable for a PVR etc, but I don't know how this will work in the UK and will it fulfil my requirements.

What I'm trying to get at is if I were starting out to set up a home entertainment system in my house, where would I 'invest' my time and money? If you told me, try WMC, but in 5 years it will be unsupported, then I would want another option. Which leads me on to my main question, is there another option?

kingwr

Post by kingwr » Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:56 pm

Like you, my hobby is to be bleeding edge. I embraced Media Center with a passion (and lots of cash) back in December of 2003. If you want to be on the bleeding edge today, then start weaning yourself off broadcast television and look at media players like AppleTV, Roku, etc. (or at least the UK equivalents). In the U.S. these devices give you access to sources such as iTunes, Amazon VOD, Hulu, Netflix, Crackle, Pandora, HBO GO, YouTube, SyFy, PBS, Smithsonian, and more as well as all your LAN-based content (videos, ripped movies, pictures, music). The last three major TV series that I was obsessed with I watched over these services INSTEAD OF broadcast TV -- no commercials and back-to-back playback I could watch two episodes a night and complete four or five seasons in 3 or 4 months. Definitely the way to watch TV, IMO (although I realize they will never be able to produce shows in that fashion). I used to believe I could never "cut the cord" (actually I have satellite service) but I can kind of see it now. When my deal comes up in a couple of years, who knows? Maybe I will be ready to dump broadcast TV (and the associated DVR) altogether.

woodchuck

Post by woodchuck » Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:12 pm

I feel your pain geoffneck! I've always loved this platform and it hard to see MS deprecate it. For me, with a new family, I'm going to ride this pony until it keels over and then decide what to do when it is dead.

"I'm not dead yet!"
'Ere, he says he's not dead."
"Well he soon will be." lol

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:12 pm

geoffneck wrote:is there another option?
MythTV comes to mind. I believe it would satisfy all of your requirements. It didn't work for me because I wanted to be able to receive encrypted cable TV, and only Media Center supports CableCARD.

geoffneck

Post by geoffneck » Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:38 pm

Kingwr:> you make a very valid observation and I too know that content delivery will soon all be through on-demand streaming etc... the problem is at the moment things are making slow progress as the industry has to figure out the legalities and get everyone up to speed before this becomes mainstream, and yes, its only a matter of time.

I guess at the moment, I cant get all my favourite stations on download, and also, as far as I'm aware, I cant record anything. Online content disappears after 2 weeks. My mindset also has to shift as a consumer so I am also trying to figure out if online content delivers what I am after. Roku looks good, I've just watched a few videos and I'll check out apple TV.

For a hobby that I love, I do feel so frustrated at times!!

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:00 pm

I've been hearing "broadcast/cable TV is going away", and "we will all be downloading/streaming all of our content" since at least 2003. I don't think broadcast/cable TV is going anywhere anytime soon. My cable company doesn't place any download caps, but I've read that many do. If the cable TV industry feels threatened too much by streaming services, they will simply limit your ability to download or make it cost prohibitive to do so.

Media Center will continue to work indefinitely. Support from Microsoft will eventually end, and so will guide data from Microsoft. But, you can continue running Win7/8 after support ends, and there are alternate sources for the guide data. There's no reason you need to abandon Media Center.