WTV file management utility

epete

HTPC Specs: Show details

WTV file management utility

Post by epete » Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:12 pm

Is there a good utility that can manage wtv files?

I am looking for something that can
1. move wtv files from all media centers on a home network to a single location
2. compare the files in the single location and delete duplicated episodes (keeping the one with the longest running time)
3. keep the latest n episodes of any specified series

I don't have windows home server and not sure if windows home server dooes this. I was thinkig of storing all my WTV files on my main media center pc.

Mailman74

Post by Mailman74 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:47 am

I use recorded tv manager

blueiedgod

Post by blueiedgod » Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:07 pm

It is not clear whether you have cable recordings or OTA, but some cable content from certain providers is DRM protected. Even though you will be able to physically move the files from one machine to another, it will only play on the machine that it was recorded on.

If you have no DRM protected content, like OTA recordings, you can set up a task in task manager to move files to another location after recording is finished, or certain time has passed.

epete

Post by epete » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:58 pm

Mailman74 wrote:I use recorded tv manager
This looks like teh application I am looking for. I have reviewed this package several times and it seems complicated to use.

http://www.fjdrasch.com/Console/Index.htm

I guess I should give it a try.

epete

Post by epete » Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:01 pm

blueiedgod wrote:It is not clear whether you have cable recordings or OTA, but some cable content from certain providers is DRM protected. Even though you will be able to physically move the files from one machine to another, it will only play on the machine that it was recorded on.

If you have no DRM protected content, like OTA recordings, you can set up a task in task manager to move files to another location after recording is finished, or certain time has passed.
I have two Cetons and one HDHomerun OTA. I have no DRM on my cable channels and can freely move without issues. The information you provided is good to know. Thank you