Comskip INI settings for live TV scanning?

glugglug

HTPC Specs: Show details

Comskip INI settings for live TV scanning?

Post by glugglug » Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:59 am

When I set live_tv=1 in comskip, and a 0 wait time in DVRMSToolbox, it keeps exiting long before the show is ended, therefore not catching all the commercials.

I tried launching it from a batch file which waits 10 minutes before starting comskip, but it still doesn't run to the end of the show. Played around with standoff setting also, but nothing seems to work yet.
Does anyone have an .INI file for comskip that consistently makes it run to the end of the show, even if launched while the show is still recording?

sccrgoalie1

Post by sccrgoalie1 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:05 am

glugglug wrote:When I set live_tv=1 in comskip, and a 0 wait time in DVRMSToolbox, it keeps exiting long before the show is ended, therefore not catching all the commercials.

I tried launching it from a batch file which waits 10 minutes before starting comskip, but it still doesn't run to the end of the show. Played around with standoff setting also, but nothing seems to work yet.
Does anyone have an .INI file for comskip that consistently makes it run to the end of the show, even if launched while the show is still recording?
What version of comskip are you using?

glugglug

Post by glugglug » Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:15 am

81_056 donator's version. On my old system I didn't care about not doing real-time because the HDD couldn't keep up if I had 3+ comskips running with 4-6 recordings anyway. The new system it easily can, so it would be cool to start having the commercials skipped while the show is still recording.

Looking at comskip.txt it looks like there are separate settings for "standoff_size" and "standoff_time" instead of just "standoff" is this where I need to set to get it to keep monitoring the file until its done recording?

What is the format for standoff_size? In the .txt file it says "1Mbyte for .ts, 50MByte for .wtv", but I think all the params in the file are purely numeric?

Venom51

Post by Venom51 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:54 am

I don't see the point in live scanning. It takes less than 20 minutes to scan an hour show. Are you really watching a recording within 20 minutes of it's original finish time?

Are you pausing the show for 10 minutes so it can be scanning out a head of your point in time? I never understood the desire for live scanning.

aeblank

Post by aeblank » Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:46 pm

Football is my reason for live scanning.

glugglug

Post by glugglug » Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:17 pm

I'll often start watching an hour show ~20-25 minutes after the start time, so by skipping commercials I reach the end about the time the recording ends.

Also, for the non-live scanning, you DTBFileWatcher gets configured to kick off the scanning job 10 minutes after the file stops being written to, plus you probably have a 3 minute padding at the end of the recording in case your clock is off, so the scan starts 13 minutes after the show ends.

sccrgoalie1

Post by sccrgoalie1 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:18 pm

glugglug wrote:I'll often start watching an hour show ~20-25 minutes after the start time, so by skipping commercials I reach the end about the time the recording ends.

Also, for the non-live scanning, you DTBFileWatcher gets configured to kick off the scanning job 10 minutes after the file stops being written to, plus you probably have a 3 minute padding at the end of the recording in case your clock is off, so the scan starts 13 minutes after the show ends.
I use live scanning all the time. This is how it's setup

live_tv=1 ; set to 1 if you use parallelprocessing and need the output while recording
live_tv_retries=16 ; change to 16 when using live_tv in BTV, used for mpeg PS and TS
dvrms_live_tv_retries=300 ; only used for dvr_ms
standoff=0

using version comskip81_050_donators

glugglug

Post by glugglug » Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:22 am

Hmm, 81_50 is the version I had on my old machine, and I don't remember having this problem even when I had it set to do live. I think it's a new bug.

sccrgoalie1

Post by sccrgoalie1 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:15 am

glugglug wrote:Hmm, 81_50 is the version I had on my old machine, and I don't remember having this problem even when I had it set to do live. I think it's a new bug.
I upgraded to your version today and it's working fine. I should mention I'm using .ts files now, so this may be a wtv specific issue in your version.