More 8.1 woes -- it no longer connects to the XBOX

glugglug

HTPC Specs: Show details

More 8.1 woes -- it no longer connects to the XBOX

Post by glugglug » Sat Oct 05, 2013 7:53 am

So now 8.1 no longer wants to connect to extenders....

I had it connecting to the xbox for most of the day. bluescreened when I tried some alternate RDP clients to try to connect from a macbook (8.1 is not compatible with MS Remote Desktop Connection for mac!). After the bluescreen, the xbox could no longer connect. Rebooting both PC and XBOX doesn't fix it. Going through media center setup again doesn't fix it.

With all the problems I've been having with 8/8.1 I think it is past time to give up and just use 7 on my new machine.

holidayboy

Post by holidayboy » Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:41 am

I noticed the RDP issue when using an 8.1 preview laptop - I can't get it to RDP into a machine running the RTM build!

Maybe try uninstalling the RDP clients and check the firewall rules?
Rob.

TGB.tv - the one stop shop for the more discerning Media Center user.

kingwr

Post by kingwr » Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:36 pm

glugglug wrote:8.1 is not compatible with MS Remote Desktop Connection for mac!
I am glad I read that! Without Mac RDP client support, 8.1 is a no go for me. What do you think the chances are for Microsoft coming out with a fix for the Mac RDP client?

glugglug

Post by glugglug » Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:03 pm

I also tried connecting from work and it is not even compatible with any RDP client for Linux. To connect to the win 8 box from work I had to either use LogMeIn (which hasn't been all that reliable connecting to 8.1) or connect to my old Win 7 box with and RDP from there. The MS Mac RDP client officially only supports up to OS X 10.6 although it will connect to Win 7 from 10.8 -- they kind of stopped updating it in 2011, so the chances of the official client working are not so good. 3rd party ones will probably eventually get updated.