Not sure if this is extender or WMC issue

Troubleshoot and discuss the XBOX 360, XBOX One, Linksys, and other extenders.
longranger

HTPC Specs: Show details

Not sure if this is extender or WMC issue

Post by longranger » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:08 pm

I have an HDHomerun device connected to my OTA antenna and a Win7 PC running WMC. The PC is connected to my LAN via ethernet cable to my Apple Airport Extreme.

The PC has an Intel 82567LM-3 Gigabit adapter (drivers are as up to date as I can find). Tried going down to 100MBps full duplex rather than gigabit. No luck.

I then have a powerline adapter connected via ethernet to that same router. On the other side of the house is my Xbox360, which is connected to another powerline adapter.

That being said, here is my issue and my question:

My shows seem to record ok. However, when going to watch the shows on the xbox, some will appear to launch but dumps me back at the screen where you select play, delete, etc. I've no idea why.

Some shows play just fine.

Other shows will appear to launch, only to display a black screen with no sound.

Does the powerline setup just suck that much? Tried wireless and it was a non-starter.

I've read here that WMC doesn't deal with sub channels very well. Our local CW affiliate KCBW seems to have this. I'll take steps to get this taken care of. I recorded 6 shows on that channel what would not even launch.

Sorry if this is disjointed, but I'm not familiar with this stuff. What can I do to get this to work better?

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:51 pm

What happens if you watch the same show directly on the PC? Does it have the same problem?

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:13 pm

On your Xbox, run the Network tuning wizard a couple of times and see what it looks like. If it's flakey, then power line is your problem. If you have coax in those rooms, I highly recommend MoCA, or the poor man's version, DECA. It's fast, cheap and reliable. I did a little write up HEREif you are interested.

3rob3

Post by 3rob3 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:06 pm

Yeah, run the network tuning wizard and you will probably see a very poor signal. I tried powerline networking recently for a friend to add a DMA2100 to their bedroom. They were only about 20 feet away from each other yet I was barely able to add the extender without it failing. Finally got it connected but it wouldn't play any shows. Ended up having to run an Ethernet cable.