Media Center No longer Records Scheduled Programs

Davethreshold

HTPC Specs: Show details

Media Center No longer Records Scheduled Programs

Post by Davethreshold » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:19 pm

Hi all.
A few days ago, MC stopped recording ANY program that I have it set to record. This can be a new program, that I had set it to record 10 mins ago, or my old standards which have been scheduled for years. It was working just fine, and now if something is scheduled for 6:00 P.M. for instance, it will not record it. BUT, when I click on MC scheduled programs while it should be recording, it THEN starts to record at the exact time that I click on it, already in progress. NONE of the recent errors show up in the MC history. If I delete a program, or other things that we do, THOSE show up in history, but none of it’s recent failures do. I have tons of hard disk space left, and I can not locate the problem.

Further, every now and then when I have MC open it goes to a black screen which I can not recover from, and I have to restart the computer.

I would have uninstalled/reinstalled it, but it came bundled with Windows 7 when I bought that, a few years ago, and I do not think that I can uninstall it.

Needless to say, any help will be totally appreciated. :(

tony_park

Post by tony_park » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:03 am

Hi Dave,

does anything show up in the event history?

Can you watch live tv?

Do all your tuners appear in the device manager? Drivers up to date?

Davethreshold

Post by Davethreshold » Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:48 pm

Thank you for posting, but I have solved the problem. Originally, NeverHappytobeHere in the Microsoft Community, posted a link to a post by ozgeek on the Neowin.net forum. After doing this, it is now perfect. It is extremely fast and SIMPLE. This also worked for a number of other people with this problem.
If you see any further posts about this, you should direct them here first because many of the other answers are FAR more complicated involving registry edits etc.

Here is the answer which worked perfectly:

ozgeek – “What I did was went to: C:\Windows\System32\Tasks\Microsoft\Windows\Media Center and deleted the StartRecording file there.
Started WMC and it recreated the file, no longer corrupt. I did a test record this morning with 2 shows, it seems to do what it was ordered to do.”

After sorting through the maze of posts about this on the internet for hours, THIS ONE hit the jackpot! :shock: :D :) :shock: