Possible to convert recordings from MC interface?

cloudcover

HTPC Specs: Show details

Possible to convert recordings from MC interface?

Post by cloudcover » Sat Sep 28, 2013 5:26 pm

Hi -

I'd like to have a mechanism, within the media center interface if at all possible, to convert a recorded show to another format and store it in a pre-specified directory. (My reason for this is so I can put shows I record for the kids onto another drive on our network from which they can stream the shows). Ideally, I'd like to be able to navigate to a show in the "Recorded Shows" screen, and from there have an option to convert or "archive" it to a specified directory. Is there a tool/extension that would allow me to do that?

Thanks!

P.S. The media streamer that the kids will be using (WD TV Live) doesn't support the .wtv format, which is why I need to convert it to something else.

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Sat Sep 28, 2013 5:31 pm

I'm not sure about on-demand conversion, but Air Video Server can convert all your recordings automatically to MOV/MV4/MP4 in the background; which appears to be compatible with the WDTV.

http://inmethod.com/airvideo/index.html
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

cloudcover

Post by cloudcover » Sat Sep 28, 2013 5:58 pm

Scallica wrote:I'm not sure about on-demand conversion, but Air Video Server can convert all your recordings automatically to MOV/MV4/MP4 in the background; which appears to be compatible with the WDTV.
thanks for that...looks pretty cool but i don't think that'll accomplish what i have in mind. i don't want to convert all recordings -- just the ones for the kids. as far as i know, when i schedule a show to record, i can't specify that directory into which that particular recording will be stored, so i can't set up a service/server to monitor a folder that only has the kids shows in it. so i suppose if there's a way to specify where a particular recording will be stored when i schedule it, that might work, in conjunction with a tool that monitors a folder and autoconverts.

woodchuck

Post by woodchuck » Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:06 pm

You could program DVRMS Toolbox to convert any show with a specific name or channel number to do this. You'd have to tell it to convert all shows with "Sesame Street" in their name, for example. I don't know of a program to do it from the MC GUI though.

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:51 pm

Yeah, DTB is the control box for all this type of stuff.

And then you put something behind the scenes to do the actual action. DTB says what to pass and where to pass it, then the other thing does the action.

MCEBuddy is another alternative.