Consistent picture issues (stuttering/pixilation)

Ask fellow members about Ceton's infiniTV tuners here.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
Wetzel402

HTPC Specs: Show details

Consistent picture issues (stuttering/pixilation)

Post by Wetzel402 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:46 pm

Hi everyone,

Here is the background, I built my HTPC with an InfiniTV4. Initially I had picture issues and Ceton support had me upgrade to a beta driver/firmware package which caused my HTPC to lock up every time. After some trial, error, and back in forth with Ceton I swapped for a newer MoBo which solved that problem. The playback issues returned at the same time my Cable company (Cox) started using tuning adapters. I have now had Cox out twice to help with my signal level but playback issues still persist. It also in noticeably worse on certain channels over others.

I have read around the forum about the 29/59 bug but didn't seem to find anything about it exsiting or not with my GPU (GT9800).

Does anyone have ideas for me? I am definitely getting to wits end over this as I have been tinkering with it for over a year. :sick:

Also if anyone has any suggestions for a "wife approved" HTPC remote, I am all ears. ;)

Edit: I should add, I am running Windows 7 N x64 with the Microsoft media pack patch http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download ... x?id=16546. Ceton has tried to tell me this is the problem a few times but:

1. theoretically this patch adds every required file/encoder/etc
2. I tried using a copy of Win 7 pro with the same results

Edit again: Uploaded screenshots of the Ceton signal script from my HTPC
signals1.png
signals2.png
XDA user: Wetzel402

Wetzel402

Post by Wetzel402 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:04 pm

Update: Ceton tech support discovered that my tuning adapter was rebooting constantly and asked that I replace it. During replacement I also moved the amplifier from between the wall and the TA to between the TA and the HTPC.

Edit: Ceton now appears to like my signal and TA so they have now requested a wireshark capture.

Wetzel402

Post by Wetzel402 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:43 pm

Update: Ceton asked me to connect my HTPC directly to my cable drop which still did not resolve the issue. During testing my cable modem quit working and I had a Cox technician come out. He found that the stinger (core of the coax) on the cable coming into the house was too long and grounding out which, after correction, greatly improved my internet and cable signal quality. After moving some other connections and splitters around I now no longer need the amplifier at the HTPC but my stuttering and pixilation remain.

Dkeyguy1

Post by Dkeyguy1 » Sun Oct 20, 2013 4:04 pm

Wetzel402 wrote: Also if anyone has any suggestions for a "wife approved" HTPC remote, I am all ears. ;)

signals1.png
signals2.png

Best remote for non geek use; this has been tested by a family member for years against other remotes.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/271285343519?ss ... 1438.l2649
The Microsoft remote, not the dell look-a-like.
The Microsoft is a learning remote, tv power and volume, the others are not.
EBay is your best bet, as they haven't been available from Microsoft for years.
If you're looking to control more devices, it'll depend on what devices and your budget.
Top end recommendation will be a Harmony, http://www.logitech.com/en-us/harmony-remotes

Dkeyguy1

Post by Dkeyguy1 » Sun Oct 20, 2013 4:11 pm

Also, are you running a usb or pcie tuner?

STC

Post by STC » Sun Oct 20, 2013 4:51 pm

Dkeyguy1 wrote:Best remote for non geek use; this has been tested by a family member for years against other remotes.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/271285343519?ss ... 1438.l2649
80 bucks? Wow. They were 20 with receiver not so long ago. You couldn't budge them off've ebay.

Confirmed as the best pick'n'drop remote for MC IMO.
We have three and use them for our extenders as well as the main HTPC.
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

STC

Post by STC » Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:22 pm

...er...so the price just dropped lol.
Are you the seller? :shifty:
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

Wetzel402

Post by Wetzel402 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:34 pm

Dkeyguy1 wrote:Also, are you running a usb or pcie tuner?
Thank you for the suggestion. I have looked at those remotes but just never tried getting one yet. I have the PCIe InfiniTV 4
STC wrote:...er...so the price just dropped lol.
Are you the seller? :shifty:
LOL :D

Wetzel402

Post by Wetzel402 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:47 am

Ceton asked me to try changing recording drives now which also had no effect.

epayson85

Post by epayson85 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:32 pm

I can't be sure without looking at what you are seeing for pixelation / stuttering, but have you tried putting your system into debug mode while watching one of the channels? You should really make sure its not the 29/59 bug. I do not believe the gt9800 has ever been verified to not run into this bug. Its a pretty common problem and at the fault of the cable company, but they don't care because it doesn't effect their hardware. There are some software / reg fixes that can help but most of the time you just need to try a different gpu. When you are seeing these issues put it in debug and see if the frame rate is changing between 29 and 59. I have a gt430, very old card but it handles this bug very well. Only once a great while does HBO give it trouble.

Wetzel402

Post by Wetzel402 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:58 pm

By debug mode do you mean safe mode? I am definitely interested in finding out if that is my problem so I greatly appreciate the help.

On a side note, I bought a Microsoft remote/receiver and it is awesome :D

machausta

Post by machausta » Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:18 pm

I have an 8400 GS and if you do this it will likely go away:

a) Go to

Control Panel>NVIDIA Control Panel > Display > Adjust Desktop Color Settings

b) Find the drop down menu labeled "Content Type Reported to Display" and select "Full-screen videos". [Note: Selecting "Desktop programs" also works – anything but “Auto-select”.]

c) Click "Apply"

Wetzel402

Post by Wetzel402 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:36 pm

machausta wrote:I have an 8400 GS and if you do this it will likely go away:

a) Go to

Control Panel>NVIDIA Control Panel > Display > Adjust Desktop Color Settings

b) Find the drop down menu labeled "Content Type Reported to Display" and select "Full-screen videos". [Note: Selecting "Desktop programs" also works – anything but “Auto-select”.]

c) Click "Apply"
Unfortunately this doesn't help. I tried both full screen videos and desktop programs and neither setting alleviated the problem. :crazy:

epayson85

Post by epayson85 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:21 am

to enter debug mode simply use a keyboard while watching live television. press 411 quickly follwed by ctrl-d before the channel changes. This will bring up the debug info of the current video. watch the frame rate. If you get pixels / it stutters at the same time the frame rate is changing from 29 to 59 then you know thats the issue.

Wetzel402

Post by Wetzel402 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:20 pm

Unfortunately that isn't my problem so I'm still in the dark as to why I have the issues in the first place. It showed a consistent 59.xxx frame rate no matter how much stuttering or pixilation occurred.

Thank you for the help. The debug view is full of useful information.

Wetzel402

Post by Wetzel402 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:50 pm

I wanted to add a diagram of my most up to date cable layout
Attachments
cable.png

Wetzel402

Post by Wetzel402 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:48 pm

I just tried the shark007 codecs but they had no effect.

Dkeyguy1

Post by Dkeyguy1 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:22 am

Sorry to hear you're still having signal issues, last year at one point I tore out all the splitters and cables so that there was only a single line and only one CableCard tuner at a time hooked up.
Next day all new cable and splitters through the entire place. I now have 7 CableCard tuners, 6 at once in operation.... no signal issues (knock on wood).
As far as the remote, they are expensive now but still worth it if you're not running bunches of other stuff with your main remote. Since they don't make them any more, I bought spares.
Never know when the in-house beta testers will spill their juice-box on it. I cringe at the thought.
As far as the signal goes, when it came down to it, the signal numbers got good before I replaced the cable & hardware, then after replacement, the signal cleared up. If you can easily bypass to test, you may want to try.

Wetzel402

Post by Wetzel402 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:29 pm

Unfortunately I tried moving my HTPC to my basement and running it directly off of the cable drop and still experienced stuttering and pixiation issues. Oddly my issue always happens the most on certain channels and not at all on others.

I really like the windows remote. It's really a shame Microsoft stopped developing Media Center and producing new remotes. It would be nice to see Media Center updated for Win 7 & 8.

Dkeyguy1

Post by Dkeyguy1 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:15 pm

If you haven't looked yet, you may want to consider one of these as well, it doesn't come with a ir receiver, but compliments the MC experience.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/170565106070?ss ... 1438.l2649
As far as the signal goes, if you don't have a different tuner to try, then I'd say get the cable company out there again and if you haven't yet, have them bring another CableCard. Doesn't seem to be anything else at this point.