Windows 7 VM in Hyper-V in Windows 8

tmb017

HTPC Specs: Show details

Windows 7 VM in Hyper-V in Windows 8

Post by tmb017 » Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:38 pm

I'm been searching this topic for a few hours and can't find a definitive answer. I would like to run Windows 7 in Hyper-V under windows 8.1 just for virtualizing Media Center. I'm trying to consolidate hardware. What's not clear is if protected content will be a problem. I have Time Warner so pretty much everything is encrypted. I've read about the HDCP problems with VM's. I know about the DCA override. I will have no need to watch the content on the PC as I use 2 360's for extenders. Will this set up work as expected on all Cable Card content if viewing is only done on extenders? I'm not in a rush since I'm waiting for Silcondust's next gen tuners to implement it. I have the InfiniTV4 right now and don't want to mess with my somewhat working setup to start network bridging with it to test especially with fall TV starting next week. Thanks in advance.

Tom

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:48 pm

Are you planning to virtualize your existing system, or start clean? I wouldn't expect any existing protected recordings to survive any attempt to make a virtual image of your current setup.

tmb017

Post by tmb017 » Sat Sep 14, 2013 5:13 pm

foxwood wrote:Are you planning to virtualize your existing system, or start clean? I wouldn't expect any existing protected recordings to survive any attempt to make a virtual image of your current setup.
It will be a clean setup on a new PC build separate from my current Media Center PC.

RyC

Post by RyC » Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:28 pm

tmb017 wrote:I'm been searching this topic for a few hours and can't find a definitive answer. I would like to run Windows 7 in Hyper-V under windows 8.1 just for virtualizing Media Center. I'm trying to consolidate hardware. What's not clear is if protected content will be a problem. I have Time Warner so pretty much everything is encrypted. I've read about the HDCP problems with VM's. I know about the DCA override. I will have no need to watch the content on the PC as I use 2 360's for extenders. Will this set up work as expected on all Cable Card content if viewing is only done on extenders? I'm not in a rush since I'm waiting for Silcondust's next gen tuners to implement it. I have the InfiniTV4 right now and don't want to mess with my somewhat working setup to start network bridging with it to test especially with fall TV starting next week. Thanks in advance.

Tom
Yes, I'm running a Windows 7 in a VM under ESXi 5.1 and protected content works fine. You will need to do the DCA override. When I moved the VM to new hardware, it broke playready, just like it would by switching out real hardware. One of the playready reset procedures fixed it right up. On ESXi at least, I can't watch anything on the VM itself, so I use all extenders. The setup works surprisingly well!

TheOsburnFamil

Post by TheOsburnFamil » Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:05 pm

RyC wrote: Yes, I'm running a Windows 7 in a VM under ESXi 5.1 and protected content works fine. You will need to do the DCA override. When I moved the VM to new hardware, it broke playready, just like it would by switching out real hardware. One of the playready reset procedures fixed it right up. On ESXi at least, I can't watch anything on the VM itself, so I use all extenders. The setup works surprisingly well!
Curious if you're using infinitv PCI or USB and if you have more than one in your esxi host?
I tried this same setup and couldn't get it to pass through both cards to the VM.
One card with its ta worked perfectly but not two.
Matt O. ...tivo what? ...dish dvr--uh... huh? ...cable dvr fees--you're kidding, right?

RyC

Post by RyC » Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:47 pm

I did get one PCIe infinitv passed through (no TA though), but when I restarted the VM, it would not see the infinitv until I restarted the entire machine, which is too much of a hassle for me. I got both the infinitv 6 ETH and HDHR Prime, and both work with no issues that I can see. When you restart the VM, is the infinitv recognized again?